How are you using it now after a few years?

christianttt

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Just curious. My main phone is a Huawei p20 pro. I still have the v20 just in case, did not want to sell it.
I use it sometimes for media consumption, web browsing and planning to take it with me to any trip to use the wide angle camera if needed.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm starting to get some lag to the point of being annoying and apps being forced closed that shouldn't be. I'm a power user and I think I'm starting to hit the RAM limits, causing them to close out. Otherwise I'm still happy with it and there's no true upgrade for it that I've seen yet.

Greedog

Aug 29, 2016
Visit site
I'm still happy with mine. I've never done an update of any kind. Not that I wouldn't. I just can't. It's an AT&T phone and I live in Canada.
I'm not that impressed with the stuff coming out lately. First, it's thinner and thinner. Then, let's fold them in half and make them twice as thick again. Duhh!

I am happy with the cameras. The sound is second to none. The batteries are replaceable.
I'll probably keep as long as I can.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
This is my favoritest phone. You can still get NIB ones. For a reasonable price.

I'd caution anyone buying a NIB one this late in the game. A lot of times, resellers get used/refurbished units and advertise them as brand new units. They also do a good job repackaging them to look new, but it usually includes shrink wrap (LG and other manufacturers don't use shrink wrap on factory new packaging). The phone may be perfectly fine, or it could be junk. This thread is a prefect example of what can happen, but thankfully the seller agreed to a return and refund.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=957814

datum9

May 30, 2013
Visit site
What is the alternative, getting a used one?
In $150-200 price range, what options do you have?

Of course NIB will be returns or open-box or demo units or something... I got one and I am happy, it was probably some return or open box or something.
I got a "NIB" Note 4 a year ago for $115, a wonderful deal and a V20 for under $200, another wonderful deal and they sell for even less than that.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying you won't find a good deal, only to be cautious. From a personal preference, I'd rather buy one advertised as open box, refurbished, used, etc. At least that way I know they are being up front about it. If anyone is advertising a factory new unit at this point, chances are it's not from an authorized retailer and is not a truly new unit. It's just a sketchy way to do business, in my opinion.

christianttt

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
What is the alternative, getting a used one?
In $150-200 price range, what options do you have?

Of course NIB will be returns or open-box or demo units or something... I got one and I am happy, it was probably some return or open box or something.
I got a "NIB" Note 4 a year ago for $115, a wonderful deal and a V20 for under $200, another wonderful deal and they sell for even less than that.
The V20 for that price is great, but you have to buy also another battery and the respective charger.

packhntr

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Still using my 2+ yr old V20. Not interested in "upgrading" as there is nothing on the market that is as capable or versatile. I will be using it until it dies. When it does, I have another NIB waiting to be put to use. I really do not like glass backs....phones are fragile enough without adding more crap to them that can break. People say "Oh, it's so pretty though".... Mine lives in an otterbox. It's all black. Function. Period. New phones are TOO damn slippery and thin. Very difficult to hold them. Always feel like I will break them just holding them.No thanks.

Brett Husebye

May 6, 2019
Visit site
My LG V20 doubles as a youtube player in my Chrysler 200. It has excellent sound and with headphones you cannot beat the dac's on this unit. It has a few issues like the Voice Commands coming on after a wrong button push which is annoying as all let out but I like this phone better than Samsung/Crapple.

Elliot Baltazar

May 6, 2019
Visit site
I have noticed some lag on my v20 lately, but still runs well overall. My biggest gripe is not being able to purchase OEM batteries. Third-party batteries always fall short or eliminate the NFC capabilities.

Ron Kareiva

May 6, 2019
Visit site
Use it all day everday. I have owned Samsung, Apple, Blackberry, HTC, and Motorola in past. In my opinion LG makes more versatile phones at equal quality of the above mentioned. The rear fingerprint sensor is in exactly the correct spot. Sound quality with headphone jack is as good as you are gonna get. Oh yeah and a replaceable battery too. It will be a sad day for me when this thing dies as I will proabably have to by a phone with a dongle and non-replaceable battery. By the way i don't swim with my phone nor store it in my back pocket so water resistance is not a factor for me.

PeterHKDL

May 6, 2019
Visit site
I have a V20 because my V30 broke from a falsely advertised "waterproof" case on Amazon, which Amazon refuses to let me deal with the previous seller of this listing, HM-ANT. https://www.amazon.com/Waterproof-H...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6541781

It's really good but I want to get a V35 or V40 and I was wondering if anyone knows if you would be able to make a third party app to make the lenses on the V35 or V40 switchable while recording a video, like the V20 and V30.

Lee Holdeman

May 6, 2019
Visit site
Short answer, it is my daily driver and runs very well. I bought it when it first came out besides replacing the battery, which thankfully you can do on this phone, I have never had to do anything else. I restart it about once a month, use Andriods built-in smart clean and also remove any unused programs every few months. I put a glass screen protector on it and a thin case to protect it when I bought it. I have dropped it more times than I can remember and thankfully no breakage. I believe that it is a well-built phone, I use is as my personal assistant everyday, Google sheets, Wave accounting, Typeapp for email after Inbox was killed off, Pulse for texting, photos, music and video playback plus a host of other stuff. I find the top of the screen, always-on notice bar externally helpful, I was disappointed to see it not continued on newer models. When I bought I wanted a phone that I felt would give me a long life span and it has not disappointed. I would be thrilled if LG would add it to the up to date list but I am not going to hold my breath, I will just keep using it and getting the tasks done on a daily basis I need to until the faithful V20 bites the dust.

Last edited:

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
My backup phone.

I use it once in a while.

I turn it on every other week to update the apps.

When I use my big headphones I just use the v20

Oscar Castrillon

Nov 22, 2013
Visit site
I'm still happy with mine. I've never done an update of any kind. Not that I wouldn't. I just can't. It's an AT&T phone and I live in Canada.
I'm not that impressed with the stuff coming out lately. First, it's thinner and thinner. Then, let's fold them in half and make them twice as thick again. Duhh!

I am happy with the cameras. The sound is second to none. The batteries are replaceable.
I'll probably keep as long as I can.

Verizon V20. With the Oreo update and the extended battery on Amazon (ipossible) that works with the factory charging cradle pretty amazing battery life. No real lag. Started using the Note9 and kind of regret it. I got a full two years out of my V20 and could have gone another two. I read that security updates would stop so I took the Note 9 upgrade.

As seen on tv

May 6, 2019
Visit site
I used mine for 3 years. Replaced the battery once. 2nd battery was on its last legs when I traded it in on a Samsung S10e last month. The ATT salesgirl promised me t would be erased/ wiped clean before being resold. A week later I started getting Google alerts that someone in Vietnam was trying to log into my email. The hassle of changing all my passwords wasn't worth the $45 trade in value. Id have been happier just taking a hammer to it. ATT needs to rein in their staff. Not sure how an unerased phone made it to Vietnam fraudsters.

djrichard

May 26, 2011
Visit site
LG G5 for me, but same difference. The key one being the replaceable battery. I turned on adoptable storage for it to increase the ram.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey