I think it's time to move on

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I run some pretty heavy apps on my phone and it's finally getting to the point that I'm getting lag. Not to mention physically starting to wear out and not trusting any battery retailers (on my second, a 10,000mAh one that started dropping like a rock within a couple months).

There's finally a phone coming out that's exciting me and has me thinking it'll be a worthy upgrade. The Asus ROG Phone 2 is due out soon globally, and it's been making some big waves just with the China/Tencent version already released. The global version is looking to be even better.

https://www.asus.com/us/Phone/ROG-Phone-II/

It's not without some big tradeoffs for me. It doesn't seem to have an SD card slot, but I can overlook that with 512 GB internal storage. It also has a sealed battery and uses an AMOLED display. As long as it works with Verizon, the rest of the specs are killer.

Last edited:

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well, they sure like to make these new phones sound like they’re so great. Let us know what reality is.
The folks over at XDA are already playing around with the Tencent version, both as is and flashing the global ROM. No complaints from anyone so far.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
That definitely seems like an amazing phone. I looked at it myself and it seems awesome! So cool! Keep us posted on what you decide!

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Any hints on the price or delivery month? My V20 will be 3 years old next month. It still works good. I was thinking about a Pixel 3a Xl but I am in no hurry, I can wait. I am not looking forward to a sealed battery phone 🤔

Golurk

Apr 12, 2019
Visit site
I run some pretty heavy apps on my phone and it's finally getting to the point that I'll getting lag. Not to mention physically starting to wear out and not trusting any battery retailers (on my second, a 10,000mAh one that started dropping like a rock within a couple months).

There's finally a phone coming out that's exciting me and has me thinking it'll be a worthy upgrade. The Asus ROG Phone 2 is due out soon globally, and it's been making some big waves just with the China/Tencent version already released. The global version is looking to be even better.

It's not without some big tradeoffs for me. It doesn't seem to have an SD card slot, but I can overlook that with 512 GB internal storage. It also has a sealed battery and uses an AMOLED display. As long as it works with Verizon, the rest of the specs are killer.

Spec-wise the ROG Phone II looks like an absolute beast. A massive battery, 120hz AMOLED display and a 12GB RAM SMD 855 is enough for even the most demanding of users.

If you can get past the large size, unique software skin and good but not outstanding cameras you’ll love it :)

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Any hints on the price or delivery month? My V20 will be 3 years old next month. It still works good. I was thinking about a Pixel 3a Xl but I am in no hurry, I can wait. I am not looking forward to a sealed battery phone
They had their UK announcement this morning, listing the UK delivery dates and prices in euros.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/4/2...e-2-ultimate-edition-announced-features-price

They also announced an "Ultimate" version with 1TB storage and Cat 20 LTE (up to 2Gbps). When converting to USD, that one would set me back about $1,300. I don't think I need that much space. Lol. Then again, depending on the cost from a U.S. based retailer... I'm not ruling anything out yet.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
...good but not outstanding cameras you’ll love it :)

From everything I've been reading, the camera is at the very least very good considering it's a gaming phone. A lot of reviews from other phones with the same sensor have ranked it one of the best out there. Since I don't rely on auto mode and AI filters, I think this will suit me fine from a hardware standpoint. Cameras are to the point now that it's mostly splitting hairs between them.

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
I run some pretty heavy apps on my phone and it's finally getting to the point that I'll getting lag. Not to mention physically starting to wear out and not trusting any battery retailers (on my second, a 10,000mAh one that started dropping like a rock within a couple months).

Maybe your V20 wants you to give in and download "Oreo" already 😂🤣

rdjr74

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the lag, the phone is older and becomes a lag issue. And yes the batteries just don't seem to hold up any longer. I took advantage of Prime Day and got a s9 plus. I've been really pleased with it. I'm finally back to using Nova Launcher, I missed it, it didn't work well with my v20. You may be able to find one for a good price if money is a concern. Nova along with Package Disable (PD MDM) has made this thing zippy and the battery is really good. I do miss the 2nd screen but there are a few trade offs, I got wireless charging back and Nova (I really missed my gesture shortcuts).

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Well the ROG Phone 2 is out and so far no Verizon support. Unless something changes, looks like I'm sticking with my V20 for now.

Maybe I should consider the Razer Phone 2 instead? Not the best specs, but it does have an LCD and is less than half price of the ROG Phone 2.

Sep 24, 2019
Visit site
V20 for the win - there is still nothing better then this, even with its faults.

I'm looking at what is going on with Librem 5, I want to jump ship from Android and have Freedom! But... It seems it will take some time to get there - but I really don't like to play with Android anymore and there despotism.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
So I may not move on yet. The more I think about it, the more I think Asus really dropped the ball on network compatibility. No VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling, making it unable to make a simple phone call in the coming years as carriers are about to drop 2G and 3G support in the U.S. Complete bone headed move that could be solved with a firmware update and compliance certification, but they have so far refused to consider it. I could work around it for basic calls, but I don't think I could for 911 (requires a traditional call, and something like Google Voice wouldn't work).

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
So I may not move on yet. The more I think about it, the more I think Asus really dropped the ball on network compatibility. No VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling, making it unable to make a simple phone call in the coming years as carriers are about to drop 2G and 3G support in the U.S. Complete bone headed move that could be solved with a firmware update and compliance certification, but they have so far refused to consider it. I could work around it for basic calls, but I don't think I could for 911 (requires a traditional call, and something like Google Voice wouldn't work).
Is it ASUS or is it lack of carrier support?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Is it ASUS or is it lack of carrier support?
From my understanding, it's Asus. It has functioning VoLTE calling in other markets, but not the U.S. I know the U.S. runs things differently to enable it, but it's still an option. Maybe they don't think they would sell enough to justify the expense (side note, they are sold out at the Asus online store), but I think it would be less of a backlash to skip the U.S.release completely than to release a phone that's basically obsolete by design.

talon1189

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
Fyi, I finally allowed Oreo in hopes it fixed a problem I'm having. Not only has it made the user experience worse, it didn't fix my problem. Thanks for nothing, LG.

Now that is depressing news to hear. You said that you would not download "Oreo" then you gave in 😖 I still have my 3 year old V20 that I received October 2016. It still works well. I have 3 Oem batteries that work for about 4.5 hours SOT time. It is not a speed demon, but unless I can find a better phone with similar features, I will milk my V20 until it croaks. Good luck with your V20 😁

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Now that is depressing news to hear. You said that you would not download "Oreo" then you gave in I still have my 3 year old V20 that I received October 2016. It still works well. I have 3 Oem batteries that work for 4.5 hours SOT time. It is not a speed demon, but unless I can find a better phone with similar features, I will milk my V20 until it croaks. Good luck with your V20
It's not like I wanted Oreo. I'm having network issues with Verizon and my home Wi-Fi, and I know they would insist on moving to Oreo as a diagnostic step. So I figured I'd try to get ahead of their game before calling.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrisBowles513