12-15-2019 01:06 AM
32 12
tools
    I run some pretty heavy apps on my phone and it's finally getting to the point that I'm getting lag. Not to mention physically starting to wear out and not trusting any battery retailers (on my second, a 10,000mAh one that started dropping like a rock within a couple months).

There's finally a phone coming out that's exciting me and has me thinking it'll be a worthy upgrade. The Asus ROG Phone 2 is due out soon globally, and it's been making some big waves just with the China/Tencent version already released. The global version is looking to be even better.

https://www.asus.com/us/Phone/ROG-Phone-II/

It's not without some big tradeoffs for me. It doesn't seem to have an SD card slot, but I can overlook that with 512 GB internal storage. It also has a sealed battery and uses an AMOLED display. As long as it works with Verizon, the rest of the specs are killer.
    09-03-2019 04:39 PM
    Well, they sure like to make these new phones sound like they’re so great. Let us know what reality is.
    09-03-2019 05:16 PM
    Well, they sure like to make these new phones sound like they’re so great. Let us know what reality is.
    The folks over at XDA are already playing around with the Tencent version, both as is and flashing the global ROM. No complaints from anyone so far.
    09-03-2019 05:59 PM
    That definitely seems like an amazing phone. I looked at it myself and it seems awesome! So cool! Keep us posted on what you decide!
    09-03-2019 06:02 PM
    Any hints on the price or delivery month? My V20 will be 3 years old next month. It still works good. I was thinking about a Pixel 3a Xl but I am in no hurry, I can wait. I am not looking forward to a sealed battery phone 🤔
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-04-2019 12:21 PM
    I run some pretty heavy apps on my phone and it's finally getting to the point that I'll getting lag. Not to mention physically starting to wear out and not trusting any battery retailers (on my second, a 10,000mAh one that started dropping like a rock within a couple months).

There's finally a phone coming out that's exciting me and has me thinking it'll be a worthy upgrade. The Asus ROG Phone 2 is due out soon globally, and it's been making some big waves just with the China/Tencent version already released. The global version is looking to be even better.

It's not without some big tradeoffs for me. It doesn't seem to have an SD card slot, but I can overlook that with 512 GB internal storage. It also has a sealed battery and uses an AMOLED display. As long as it works with Verizon, the rest of the specs are killer.
    Spec-wise the ROG Phone II looks like an absolute beast. A massive battery, 120hz AMOLED display and a 12GB RAM SMD 855 is enough for even the most demanding of users.

If you can get past the large size, unique software skin and good but not outstanding cameras you’ll love it
    09-04-2019 12:36 PM
    Any hints on the price or delivery month? My V20 will be 3 years old next month. It still works good. I was thinking about a Pixel 3a Xl but I am in no hurry, I can wait. I am not looking forward to a sealed battery phone
    They had their UK announcement this morning, listing the UK delivery dates and prices in euros.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/4/20...features-price

They also announced an "Ultimate" version with 1TB storage and Cat 20 LTE (up to 2Gbps). When converting to USD, that one would set me back about $1,300. I don't think I need that much space. Lol. Then again, depending on the cost from a U.S. based retailer... I'm not ruling anything out yet.
    09-04-2019 12:37 PM
    ...good but not outstanding cameras you’ll love it
    From everything I've been reading, the camera is at the very least very good considering it's a gaming phone. A lot of reviews from other phones with the same sensor have ranked it one of the best out there. Since I don't rely on auto mode and AI filters, I think this will suit me fine from a hardware standpoint. Cameras are to the point now that it's mostly splitting hairs between them.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    09-04-2019 12:41 PM
    Cameras are to the point now that it's mostly splitting hairs between them.
    This is so true. At this point in time, most cameras are so proficient that you can't even tell them apart (ie, which phone took the photo).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-04-2019 01:31 PM
    I run some pretty heavy apps on my phone and it's finally getting to the point that I'll getting lag. Not to mention physically starting to wear out and not trusting any battery retailers (on my second, a 10,000mAh one that started dropping like a rock within a couple months).

Maybe your V20 wants you to give in and download "Oreo" already 😂🤣
    09-05-2019 05:13 PM
    Maybe your V20 wants you to give in and download "Oreo" already
    NEVER!!!!!!!

Lol
    09-05-2019 05:59 PM
    I agree with the lag, the phone is older and becomes a lag issue. And yes the batteries just don't seem to hold up any longer. I took advantage of Prime Day and got a s9 plus. I've been really pleased with it. I'm finally back to using Nova Launcher, I missed it, it didn't work well with my v20. You may be able to find one for a good price if money is a concern. Nova along with Package Disable (PD MDM) has made this thing zippy and the battery is really good. I do miss the 2nd screen but there are a few trade offs, I got wireless charging back and Nova (I really missed my gesture shortcuts).
    09-10-2019 12:42 PM
    Well the ROG Phone 2 is out and so far no Verizon support. Unless something changes, looks like I'm sticking with my V20 for now.

Maybe I should consider the Razer Phone 2 instead? Not the best specs, but it does have an LCD and is less than half price of the ROG Phone 2.
    09-24-2019 05:26 AM
  14. JesusIsGodAlmighty-dot-Life's Avatar
    V20 for the win - there is still nothing better then this, even with its faults.

I'm looking at what is going on with Librem 5, I want to jump ship from Android and have Freedom! But... It seems it will take some time to get there - but I really don't like to play with Android anymore and there despotism.
    09-24-2019 09:48 AM
    So I may not move on yet. The more I think about it, the more I think Asus really dropped the ball on network compatibility. No VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling, making it unable to make a simple phone call in the coming years as carriers are about to drop 2G and 3G support in the U.S. Complete bone headed move that could be solved with a firmware update and compliance certification, but they have so far refused to consider it. I could work around it for basic calls, but I don't think I could for 911 (requires a traditional call, and something like Google Voice wouldn't work).
    10-21-2019 04:16 PM
    Maybe your V20 wants you to give in and download "Oreo" already
    Fyi, I finally allowed Oreo in hopes it fixed a problem I'm having. Not only has it made the user experience worse, it didn't fix my problem. Thanks for nothing, LG.
    10-21-2019 04:18 PM
    So I may not move on yet. The more I think about it, the more I think Asus really dropped the ball on network compatibility. No VoLTE or Wi-Fi calling, making it unable to make a simple phone call in the coming years as carriers are about to drop 2G and 3G support in the U.S. Complete bone headed move that could be solved with a firmware update and compliance certification, but they have so far refused to consider it. I could work around it for basic calls, but I don't think I could for 911 (requires a traditional call, and something like Google Voice wouldn't work).
    Is it ASUS or is it lack of carrier support?
    10-21-2019 04:18 PM
    Is it ASUS or is it lack of carrier support?
    From my understanding, it's Asus. It has functioning VoLTE calling in other markets, but not the U.S. I know the U.S. runs things differently to enable it, but it's still an option. Maybe they don't think they would sell enough to justify the expense (side note, they are sold out at the Asus online store), but I think it would be less of a backlash to skip the U.S.release completely than to release a phone that's basically obsolete by design.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-21-2019 04:25 PM
    Fyi, I finally allowed Oreo in hopes it fixed a problem I'm having. Not only has it made the user experience worse, it didn't fix my problem. Thanks for nothing, LG.
    Now that is depressing news to hear. You said that you would not download "Oreo" then you gave in 😖 I still have my 3 year old V20 that I received October 2016. It still works well. I have 3 Oem batteries that work for about 4.5 hours SOT time. It is not a speed demon, but unless I can find a better phone with similar features, I will milk my V20 until it croaks. Good luck with your V20 😁
    10-23-2019 10:40 PM
    Now that is depressing news to hear. You said that you would not download "Oreo" then you gave in I still have my 3 year old V20 that I received October 2016. It still works well. I have 3 Oem batteries that work for 4.5 hours SOT time. It is not a speed demon, but unless I can find a better phone with similar features, I will milk my V20 until it croaks. Good luck with your V20
    It's not like I wanted Oreo. I'm having network issues with Verizon and my home Wi-Fi, and I know they would insist on moving to Oreo as a diagnostic step. So I figured I'd try to get ahead of their game before calling.
    10-23-2019 10:45 PM
    Well, in an unexpected turn of events, I ordered the Razer Phone 2 today. It's not near the phone the ROG 2 is, but it's dirt cheap for cyber weekend ($250 at Best Buy), and won't be a paperweight in a couple years. For that price, I can handle some sacrifices. Should be getting it on Tuesday.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-29-2019 08:20 PM
    Well, in an unexpected turn of events, I ordered the Razer Phone 2 today. It's not near the phone the ROG 2 is, but it's dirt cheap for cyber weekend ($250 at Best Buy), and won't be a paperweight in a couple years. For that price, I can handle some sacrifices. Should be getting it on Tuesday.
    Congratulations! I hope you like it. Please let us know your thoughts once it arrives and you've had a chance to use it
    11-29-2019 10:10 PM
    My LG V20 had a failed microphone in early October 2019. Nobody could understand me during phone calls unless I used a Bluetooth microphone. That was unacceptable to me, so I needed to get a new phone. I opted for the Samsung Galaxy S10+, since it was the same price as the LG V50, and Samsung is better than LG in terms of updates at this time. I never thought I'd ever buy a Samsung device, since I despised TouchWiz. However, OneUI is a vast improvement over TouchWiz, and even the audio on the S10+ is decent enough that I don't have any disappointment in it compared to what I had on the V20.

I'd definitely consider another LG device in the future, since I loved my V20, but right now I love my S10+.
    11-29-2019 10:20 PM
    Congratulations! I hope you like it. Please let us know your thoughts once it arrives and you've had a chance to use it
    I plan to. I'm actually kinda eager to Plato with the camera on it. All the reviews seem to slam it, but it's all due to software it seems. I mostly shoot manual mode, which has almost no reliance on software. I'm not expecting to be blown away or even do as well as the V20, but I'm betting I'll make them look a lot better than the reviews suggest.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-29-2019 10:41 PM
    For that price you had me intrigued until I read the last sentence of the smaller font in the following:
    11-29-2019 10:54 PM
32 12