Hi

I have an LG V20, which I acquired new. It is not carrier tied and I am in New Zealand.

For some contacts in my address book, when I go to reply to a text message from them, the app adds a ";" to the end of the number and asks me to check the number. If I then delete the number (including semicolon) and manually add the same contact it works fine.

This has been going on for months, and I thought I would see if anyone has ever heard of this problem.

I have purged the app and phone cache several times and made sure contacts have a preferred number assigned. It is always the same contacts but there is nothing about the numbers which stands out.

Help?
    02-14-2020 10:19 PM
    My initial thoughts were that it is your keyboard, kind of. I use GBoard and with it if you hold certain characters you get alternate characters. So if I hold period too long I get (),.?:;" So I was thinking it might be the way you are holding the phone.

I think we're going to need more information though.

What app are you using?

How are you adding the contact? Do you type the first few letters and then select it from a list, do you type the first few numbers and select it?

The way you describe the issue, it doesn't sound like you are sending these messages from established threads of communication with these contacts. Does this happen if you reply to their message or open the message thread and send from within the thread?

You also say that it is the same contacts that this happens to, and you cannot find anything outstanding about these contacts form other contacts are the numbers formatted the same? Here in the US our numbers traditionally format like this (212) 432-5601 but we can also format like this 212-423-6501 or 2125435602. Three different formats and our devices are supposed to recognize them all. I see in NZ your numbers are formatted like 09 700 1234, is there no punctuation or alternative groupings as in the US numbers?

Is it always a semicolon?

To reply to this thread you must create an account. This link will help you do that... https://forums.androidcentral.com/as...-new-post.html
    B. Diddy likes this.
    02-18-2020 01:33 AM
    Hi

Thanks for replying - I have been unwell hence the delay in responding. Let me perhaps make things clearer. This is not a typing or keyboard issue; this is an issue with some existing contacts with whom I am regularly exchanging messages.

You asked

Does this happen if you reply to their message or open the message thread and send from within the thread?
    This is the ONLY situation in which the problem arises :-)

Here is what may be a clearer sequence

Say I have an existing contact Joan Brown
    1. Joan sends me a message
    2. This appears in our message thread in the standard Android Messages App
    3. I enter a response text - at this point at the top Joan's phone number is showing
    4. I press send
    5. Messaging adds a semicolon to the number above and says it is invalid
    6. I click on the number at the top (which shows as a contact) and delete the contact
    7. I re-enter the same contact from my contact list in the same space
    8. I press send
    9. The message is sent.

As I say this is a very odd problem!

To answer your questions about numbers - mobile phones here will accept numbers in a range of formats

eg 09 123 4567, 091234567, +64 9 1234567, 0064 9 1234567 etc. There seems no pattern to the numbers where this problem occurs.

I am happy to send some screenshots of the steps in the process above if that helps.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.
    02-26-2020 09:25 PM
    I have repled to you below - for some reason it loaded it as a new message rather than a reply :-)
    02-26-2020 09:26 PM
    Well given your latest reply... I think most messaging apps use commas and not semicolons if say you were adding recipients but that's almost what it sounds like is happening. Like the app is asking or preparing for you to add another contact. What's odd to me is that within the conversation instead of Joan's name her number appears... In my first screenshot if I reply to the Red Cross it's their name, always their name. Only contacts I haven't saved get numbers.

Have you tried other apps? While you may attached to this app, I'm feeling more and more like it may be the app and would be curious to know if this follows the contact or the app.

Any app you install should migrate your conversations so it won't even be like starting over, more like trying on a new skin.LG V20 randomly adds ";" to some txt addresses and then says "address not recognised"-screenshot_20200227-213248_gallery.jpeg
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-27-2020 08:37 PM