Display screen fades and goes dark during phone calls

h8s2w8t

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
I use always use the hands free speaker to make and receive phone calls, so this is not a proximity sensor issue. The VS995 display fades out and goes to black after a few seconds on any phone call, making it impossible to use voicemail or automated phone systems. You can't "Press 1 for the starter, 2 for the bar" if you can't see the keypad. Under "Call Settings", "Advanced", "Show Keypad", selecting "All Calls" has no impact apparently. Would love to know if there is any way to keep the display on my stock LG V20 from sleeping during a lengthy call. Thanks for any help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is it following the phone's general screen timeout setting? If so, what if you change that setting to something longer?

h8s2w8t

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
Thanks, B! Good thought, but screen timeout is set to "Never". This happens in a matter of seconds, not minutes. I assume this is LG or Verizon trying to prolong battery life. In Developer Options I was able to select "Screen Stays On While Charging" so that solves the problem if it's plugged into a power source. But on battery, screen fades after 10 seconds and goes dark after another 15 to 20 seconds. Does your phone do that or not?

Reactions: Sportycat

h8s2w8t

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the link - safe mode operates the same way. No power saving options are on that I am aware of. None of my prior phones have sleeping sickness during phone calls and I cannot imagine why LG would think this is a feature that anyone would want. I spend a fair amount of time interacting with automated phone systems so this is something I really dislike and would like to be rid of.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
But the screen comes back on if you press the Power button, correct? Or do you have to enter your screen unlock PIN/password again?

h8s2w8t

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
Correct. Also, with the developer option set to "Keep Screen On While Charging", the screen still fades out but does not go completely black if power supply is connected. Quick pressing the power button or tapping/double tapping an empty spot on the screen will restore brightness. Also, pressing on the screen during a call will keep it awake. Seems weird, am wondering if this is a unique problem, or do all V20's act like this?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Let me ask some of the other Ambassadors. I thinik @Mooncatt has or had a V20.
I had a V20, but don't recall this being an issue. I rarely used it on speakerphone, so it's hard to remember for sure. I would've guessed a power saving mode is turned on as well, but I see that was already asked and answered. I can't think of any other reason for this to be happening.

h8s2w8t

Feb 29, 2020
Visit site
Thanks to you both. I agree it must be some sort of power saving feature of the phone, or maybe it is something triggered by Android 8.0. Whatever it is, I would really like to know how to turn it off. Thanks again!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34