Does the V30 have enough for you Note lovers to give up the stylus?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If the rumoured feature are true and the V30 has most of the features that Note fans like....will it be enough to give up the stylus or is that a must have feature for Note fans?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: Does the V30 have enough for you note lovers to give the stylis?

That's a 'NO' for me. I'm willing to give it a try, but I've been burned by LG before. And also, no sexyness from LG compared to Samsung's latest, tbh, but this one seems to be catching up if the renders are true, so who knows. Not my first choice, though... not until I see both face to face.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

That's a 'NO' for me. I'm willing to give it a try, but I've been burned by LG before. And also, no sexyness from LG compared to Samsung's latest, tbh, but this one seems to be catching up if the renders are true, so who knows. Not my first choice, though... not until I see both face to face.

I hear ya....I'm guess what I'm trying to figure out is if all else if fairly equal, is the stylus that much of an attraction?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

Five iterations ago I'd have said 'No! How can you ask something like that! S-Pen forever!'... but now that we have the S-Pen in a bigger, better suited format (Tab S line) for handwriting, using the S-Pen on a 'small' screen feels weird now. I still love the S-Pen, but I do admit that I'd use it WAY more on a tablet than on a phone if I had it available on both. If it ends up being the same size as the S8 or S8+, but cost way way more, I would question if the S-Pen was worth the upgrade (unless the Note comes with some really good, new, exclusive features).

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
If the rumoured feature are true and the V30 has most of the features that Note fans like....will it be enough to give up the stylus or is that a must have feature for Note fans?

I haven't used a Note since the Note 3 and I kinda miss the S-Pen. True, I don't use it as much but in certain situations it really helps. If you actually know all the tricks the S-Pen could do, I'm very sure you'll use it more. I love taking a screen shot with the S-Pen, crop and cut out images on the screen, the AirView menu, and hover preview, write to text keyboard. It's kinda hard to use it on a small 5.7 inch but it's still great, plus I heard the new Note will have a bigger screen than before. The Note 4 was the last good Note and it's been too long of a wait for a good note (Note 5 sucked @$z, Note 7 was a fail). I'm actually looking forward to the Note, but will be hard to give up LG's wide angle camera. Note 8 will have dual camera but it's not going to be wide angle I think, just gonna be the telephoto lens.

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
I came to the V 10 series from a Note 3.
If LG gives up the removable battery I almost certainly will Go To the Note 8.
I like the S Pen but the features of the V's are more valuable to me.
I really hope LG doesn't screw up.

Lateck,

Nubwy

Aug 1, 2016
Visit site
I came to the V 10 series from a Note 3.
If LG gives up the removable battery I almost certainly will Go To the Note 8.
I like the S Pen but the features of the V's are more valuable to me.
I really hope LG doesn't screw up.

Lateck,

Why would you go to the Note 8? It doesnt have a removable battery either?

JohnMcL7

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
I have a Note 1 and still using a Note 4 but didn't buy either for the stylus, I bought them for the larger screen but since then, Samsung have muddied the waters a bit with the larger S versions. About the only time I can think I've used the stylus is for Drawful as otherwise I just find the screen too small for it to be any practical use.

If the Note 8 rumours are correct then I'll probably not be getting one as losing a chunk of battery for the stylus isn't worth it and the dual camera (which isn't UWA and WA as far as I'm aware) isn't much of a benefit to me so would likely go for an S8+ over it.

I'm curious to see what the V30 will offer, if it's a 6in non-curved AMOLED with the UWA and WA cameras plus the quad dac and a more industrialised build then I'd probably go for one. Having said that I know one of the leaks suggests it will be curved and since LG don't seem to like Europe (no V series has ever been sold in the UK and the V20 not in Europe), I don't have high hopes.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
If it comes to choosing one or the other then I'd likely go with the Note 8 purely because of the dual camera set up it has compared to LG's. The stylus I couldn't care less about

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Me too, I like the LG Wide angle camera but after my G5 I got and iPhone 7 Plus and fell in love with Portrait Mode and used that far more. If the rumours are true about the Note 8 having 3x Optical Zoom on the 2nd camera and OIS on both cameras then I'm more than excited already.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Moved from a Note 2 to an S7E. And I sorely miss the stylus for quick sketches. So no, will be going back to Notes fot my next phone.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Samsung isn't going to suddenly suck at smartphone cameras. From what I've heard, it will be an iPhone 7-like setup.

I never said or implied that Samsung was going to suck at cameras, but since you mentioned it, Samsung wasn't going to suddenly suck at batteries but they did with the Note 7. Just using that as an example to make my prior point. I'd wait and see, especially since they are trying something different. I'm sure it will be a good thing.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Moved from a Note 2 to an S7E. And I sorely miss the stylus for quick sketches. So no, will be going back to Notes fot my next phone.

I guess I'd really have to spend time with the stylus to see what it really does. I think for me the only immediate thing for me is it would improve keyboard accuracy. The biggest issue I have is that it takes up space by being stored in the device. Myself and many others would rather save the space for more battery.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I guess I'd really have to spend time with the stylus to see what it really does. I think for me the only immediate thing for me is it would improve keyboard accuracy. The biggest issue I have is that it takes up space by being stored in the device. Myself and many others would rather save the space for more battery.
It's handier than having to bring a piece of paper anywhere. Since I work in the medical field, I sometimes need to make little sketches for patients to understand what I'm talking about. I always have my phone with me so it helps.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It's handier than having to bring a piece of paper anywhere. Since I work in the medical field, I sometimes need to make little sketches for patients to understand what I'm talking about. I always have my phone with me so it helps.
See now that's a good solid application and in your line of work it makes prefect sense. Does it do anything special or give you extra features that you can't do with a finger tip?

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
See now that's a good solid application and in your line of work it makes prefect sense. Does it do anything special or give you extra features that you can't do with a finger tip?
Hahaha. In sketching? No. But it's a lot more awkward drawing with fingers. Plus it's hard to make little details especially with limited space.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke