LG fans, do you feel betrayed by the V30 rumors?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: The V30 is going to have a curved screen (leaked photos)

Yeah, I'd prefer plastic for the back than metal or glass. Yeah, the last two might look awesome, but you'll need a case if you want to avoid scuffing/scratching from everyday use. Plastic? You might get by with just a screen protector if you're not too rough on your device. And finally be able to really show off the phone, and not having to slap an aesthetic-modifying case on it (which is mostly the case lately... you're already thinking about which case you'll buy before your phone even arrives).

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Get decent ones and you wont have to. I have a pair of Sony over-the-ear ones that will last for weeks if I only use them for a couple hours every night, so I'm sure they could get you through a few days of moderate use.

Either way, Bluetooth will never be as good as wired. There is a loss in quality when streaming through Bluetooth. Plus, who knows the long term effects of having a high frequency Bluetooth headset next to your brain 8 hours a day will do... I don't want to be a part of some new generation experiment. There has been a demand for better Bluetooth signal and the only way is to crank up the frequency. You don't know how powerful those waves are, goes right through your body. I keep my Bluetooth Samsung Gear Fit2 turned off most of the time.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
V30, any absolute deal breakers for you?

If it had something you don't like or can't stand (curved edges, no headphone jack, small battery capacity, etc.), would it stop you from buying it and passing it up?

My deal breakers:
Any processor older or weaker than SD 835
No headphone jack
Battery smaller than 3200 mAh
No microSD slot
Curved edges (like S8 or S7 Edge)

anon(10221500)

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site

I'm sorry but I don't buy it.
Glass screen protectors are never out before the phone. Case, maybe. But i think it's hooey

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Either way, Bluetooth will never be as good as wired. There is a loss in quality when streaming through Bluetooth. Plus, who knows the long term effects of having a high frequency Bluetooth headset next to your brain 8 hours a day will do... I don't want to be a part of some new generation experiment. There has been a demand for better Bluetooth signal and the only way is to crank up the frequency. You don't know how powerful those waves are, goes right through your body. I keep my Bluetooth Samsung Gear Fit2 turned off most of the time.
Good thing Bluetooth is a low power radio.. now that phone you carry around all the time.. I'm shocked you aren't concerned for that if you're sitting here worried about low powered Bluetooth lol.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Good thing Bluetooth is a low power radio.. now that phone you carry around all the time.. I'm shocked you aren't concerned for that if you're sitting here worried about low powered Bluetooth lol.

Long exposure can cause problems later down the road... It's not as strong as microwaves but there is some radiation.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Long exposure can cause problems later down the road... It's not as strong as microwaves but there is some radiation.

I get what you're saying -- I was just saying I am shocked you're worried about BT but carry a LTE enabled cell phone radio and don't seem worried about it.

(Also FYI -- Check your email please.)

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
LG fans, do you feel betrayed?

If it wasn't for the LG fans, LG wouldn't have been in the game still. Taking away the features the fans loved in order to appeal to the mass market feels like betrayal. Like hipsters, they all try to be cool and different but all end up being the same. What do you think? Would this affect sales numbers? I know I'm not getting a V30 at launch, maybe a year later when price drops 70%.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If it wasn't for the LG fans, LG wouldn't have been in the game still. Taking away the features the fans loved in order to appeal to the mass market feels like betrayal. Like hipsters, they all try to be cool and different but all end up being the same. What do you think? Would this affect sales numbers? I know I'm not getting a V30 at launch, maybe a year later when price drops 70%.

There's no betrayal involved. Its called survival in the marketplace. Most people who currently buy an LG could care less about some of the features you are concerned about. I didn't buy my G5 because it had a removable battery, IR blaster or LCD screen. In fact I can't remember why I bought it. I bought the V20 because of the larger screen and QUAD DAC. I would be unhappy if the V30 loses the DAC but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
There's no betrayal involved. Its called survival in the marketplace. Most people who currently buy an LG could care less about some of the features you are concerned about. I didn't buy my G5 because it had a removable battery, IR blaster or LCD screen. In fact I can't remember why I bought it. I bought the V20 because of the larger screen and QUAD DAC. I would be unhappy if the V30 loses the DAC but I'm not going to lose sleep over it.

You can safely say that most people bought the V20 for the removable and IR blaster. I for sure did.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You can safely say that most people bought the V20 for the removable and IR blaster. I for sure did.
No you can't safely say that.... Show me where the numbers are to support your statement. These are features that you like and can't live without personally. I will grant you that a lot of people want a removable battery but the IR blaster crowd just doesn't exist in the numbers you think it does. If I ask 100 random people on the street if their phone has an IR blaster or if they want one I will probably get asked what's an IR blaster.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

My friend bought the V20. He has 1 battery (the one inside it) and I am 99.9% sure he doesn't even know an IR blaster exists on it (or cares to use one).

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I can safely say that almost no one considered both of those features prior to purchasing it. This makes the mistake of assuming that people a) know anything about their phones and b) compare devices and features. We know for sure that the vast majority of people, we're talking more than 99% have no idea about anything related to their device. In many cases, including that they can download apps that don't come with the phone. Whether or not facebook is preinstalled on the phone is probably selling more phones than the presence of or lack of any real feature. And that might include all real features.

Jeremiah Bonds

Trusted Member
Aug 16, 2010
Visit site

I used the IR blaster once.. lol

As for betrayal? No. LG Optimus G was a glass phone that didn't have a replaceable battery (which I had).. Also, the Nexus 4 (which my wife had). I was more betrayed when they moved the volume buttons back to the side.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I think they're just moving with the times tbh. Water resistance and wireless charging will be far more appealing to most people than lugging an extra battery around in their pockets. That equates to more sales figures for LG which as a business is a no brainer. If the rumours and renders are true about the V30 then I'll be buying my 1st V-series LG so where they're losing you they're gaining me and I'm sure that'll happen with plenty others too. I do slightly agree with you in the sense that the V30 looks and sounds like just a bigger and upgraded G6 so there's less differential between them and nothing to really set them apart

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I can safely say that almost no one considered both of those features prior to purchasing it. This makes the mistake of assuming that people a) know anything about their phones and b) compare devices and features. We know for sure that the vast majority of people, we're talking more than 99% have no idea about anything related to their device. In many cases, including that they can download apps that don't come with the phone. Whether or not facebook is preinstalled on the phone is probably selling more phones than the presence of or lack of any real feature. And that might include all real features.

The V20 was considered "underrated". The few that did get the phone bought it for it's features, the others bought it by default after the Note 7 debacle.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The V20 was considered "underrated". The few that did get the phone bought it for it's features, the others bought it by default after the Note 7 debacle.
My friend bought it because he had LG before. Swapped to my Verizon account and it was the latest and greatest one out at the time so he got it.

He doesn't fit the two categories you listed above.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I get what you're saying -- I was just saying I am shocked you're worried about BT but carry a LTE enabled cell phone radio and don't seem worried about it.

(Also FYI -- Check your email please.)

But the phone isn't next to your brain for hours on end. A Bluetooth headphone is worn for a long time and is really close to your head. Headphones do not transmit radiation and is therefore better. Plus they sound better than BT.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke