LG fans, do you feel betrayed by the V30 rumors?

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re: The V30 is coming soon, what will it need to be successful?

I never said I don't know anybody that has an LG. I said they don't use the features that make LG different. My roommate has an LG. I've had several friends that have LGs. None of them use their phones for video editing or any of that stuff.

Ah okay -- Well my friends do use the features. Definitely not all of them (hell I don't even use all the features on my Samsung phones, HTC, etc. etc.) but he definitely uses a few of the LG only ones. Such as he loves that second screen a ton .. It is one of the reasons he went from the V10 to the V20.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Use some common sense here. Not everything requires objective evidence --- the evidence required is proportional to the claim. The claim that a poor selling phone is selling poorly because of its features in an industry where features are what separate one phone from another requires little to no evidence aside from the sales.

Wrong.....there are many reasons that something sells or doesn't sell well, but you go on believing what you like.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I never said I don't know anybody that has an LG. I said they don't use the features that make LG different. My roommate has an LG. I've had several friends that have LGs. None of them use their phones for video editing or any of that stuff.

I don't use my phone for video editing either but there are reasons that I bought it over a Note 7 or S7E.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

I don't do video editing either. It's not my thing. However, I enjoy listening to music so the DAC is the main reason I chose a V20 instead of something else.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Wrong.....there are many reasons that something sells or doesn't sell well, but you go on believing what you like.

Sure, there are plenty of reasons why one sells and one doesn't and you can eliminate pretty much all of them. The specs are largely the same for LG flagships and any other brand's flagship. LG has marketed all of their products as well as other brands. LG phones are competitively priced. The differences are the features that set them apart. You guys are even saying that the reason you bought your LG phones were because of the features. The reason why others do not buy LG phones is because of features.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

Sure, there are plenty of reasons why one sells and one doesn't and you can eliminate pretty much all of them. The specs are largely the same for LG flagships and any other brand's flagship. LG has marketed all of their products as well as other brands. LG phones are competitively priced. The differences are the features that set them apart. You guys are even saying that the reason you bought your LG phones were because of the features. The reason why others do not buy LG phones is because of features.

I am sure it is a mix of things.. Some may not like features. Some may not like LG. Some may just stick with what they know. Some may not even be sure LG makes a phone.

There are countless reasons so we can't nail it down to one like you're trying so hard to do. I get that you do 110% truly believe that is the main/sole factor but I definitely don't agree. Especially since you're just going off your opinion / your family which isn't really a study or anything close to the scale of the US as a whole. It seems for you it is enough but it definitely is not for me.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

The last sentences throws me. If you said they don't buy LG because its missing a feature or because a feature is added another is lost it would make sense. Example, Removable battery means you lose water resitance....that makes sense. Adding a feature like a DAC doesn't make someone one not buy a phone. Adding a wide angle camera without taking something away doesn't stop people either. Having a LCD screen most definitely costs some sales because the Samsung looks more vibrant at the point of sale than LCD screens.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm pretty sure if you ask the average person to rattle off some features specific to LG phones they'll come up with exactly zero. Lack of features isn't the reason LG doesn't sell phones to the masses.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I'm pretty sure if you ask the average person to rattle off some features specific to LG phones they'll come up with exactly zero. Lack of features isn't the reason LG doesn't sell phones to the masses.
My oldest brother has always bought Samsung....barely can set up his email. Probably does not install an app unless his son tells him about and does it for him. He doesn't any of the different features that we talk about or operating systems.
My wife and daughter own iPhones and couldn't care less about features. How it looks, what color, and maybe they want more ram.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Not a lack of features. LG has features most people don't care about. Like you said, the unique features of LG phones aren't memorable.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

The last sentences throws me. If you said they don't buy LG because its missing a feature or because a feature is added another is lost it would make sense. Example, Removable battery means you lose water resitance....that makes sense. Adding a feature like a DAC doesn't make someone one not buy a phone. Adding a wide angle camera without taking something away doesn't stop people either. Having a LCD screen most definitely costs some sales because the Samsung looks more vibrant at the point of sale than LCD screens.

The majority of people don't listen to music on their phone with headphones. For the majority of people, that is a useless feature. Adding a wide angle lens also doesn't attract much interest.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The majority of people don't listen to music on their phone with headphones. For the majority of people, that is a useless feature. Adding a wide angle lens also doesn't attract much interest.

You clearly don't know what you're taking about. Try riding a NYC subway or walking the streets and you will see what the majority of people listen to music with. Mostly wired headphones or earbuds and as I said adding a HIFI DAC is not a deterrent. People don't say gee....the. LG has a DAC so lets not buy it. Give up the ghost already and admit your statements are purely your opinion and have no factual basis.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

How else are people supposed to listen to music whilst working out at a gym? That's how I listen mostly, and almost everyone else at the gym also plays music with headphones whilst working out. It's rare to see someone working out without listening to music.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

How else are people supposed to listen to music whilst working out at a gym? That's how I listen mostly, and almost everyone else at the gym also plays music with headphones whilst working out. It's rare to see someone working out without listening to music.

Maybe he means headphones verses ear buds. Ear buds still work well and take full advantagewith of a dedicated DAC especially a quality pair. You have an appreciation for music and therefore understand. I truly believe that if everyone took the time listen and compare to see what they were missing that they would understand.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Your posts sound more like "I can't prove it but I know it's true". Fact is you can't tie low sales to anything definitive or objective. The only thing we know for certain is that LGs sales figures are quite low but that could for a number of reasons. That also goes for all of the other lower tier brands.

Apple and Samsung are obviously on top at the moment, but that wasn't always the case for Samsung. Samsung became aggressive and did some innovative things and it worked for them. Both companies drop big bucks in advertising and that certainly helps.

The problem with being on top is that is always out there to steal your lunch.

Samsung did work very hard to get where they are now. Nobody knew what a Samsung Galaxy was back in 2011-2012 and refused to consider one. Now, everywhere you turn you see a Samsung. Their effort to teach people what makes their phone so great and hiring people to show them what Samsung is all about helped them get to the top (I worked with Samsung a few times over the years). I had never seen Apple pull a PR campaign and I live in the Silicon Valley; they will never go the lengths like Samsung to invest in these marketing tactics. So for LG, yes they could be big like Samsung, in fact they are pretty high way up there still. They just gotta find what works best.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Exactly. Some people say they don't use or need a headphone jack. Maybe some don't, but a large majority do. Just look at what people are doing when they are exercising or commuting on public transit: listening to music or podcasts. Wireless headphones are not as convenient as you wish to believe. USB C headphones are not universal and will force people to use and buy different accessories. What good is a media player without a headphone jack. Do you think an iPod would sell well without one? A smartphone is a media powerhouse. A headphone jack is not like a floppy disc or CD, and it won't be replaced anytime soon.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

What I'm saying is truth. You don't have to accept it, but it's true. LG (and Motorola) just have no understanding of what is appealing to most people. It's funny that you guys continually make excuses for LG. It has boiled down to "The phones aren't the problem. It's just that people buy other phones based on the name", which is nonsense. The phones are the problem. The features are generally useless to the average person. The average person doesn't want or need to adjust the gain for their videos and they certainly wouldn't attach a microphone to a camera. Anyone that wants those kind of features isn't going to use a smartphone to do it.

I do have some interest in the V30, but it is mostly to see how the display looks and performs since it will also be heading g to the Pixel XL 2.

What I don't understand is the V series was originally marketed towards "advanced" users just like the Note 8. Will everyone be using the S Pen on the Note 8? Absolutely not, only advanced users will. However, all the band wagoners will own the phone because it's good and it's the hottest phone in the market, and it looks beautiful. So did Samsung waste their efforts offering this feature to a select few? Well, it's win win because both can enjoy it. The V series could have the gimmicky stuff, if the "less advanced users" don't use those features, no problem. The real LG fans will be using those features. You know, nearly more than half of Lexus owners don't even know all the cool features the car has? They just bought that car because it looks beautiful, and it's a good car. Nobody is at a loss.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Is there any question as to what they should do? They should market it more.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Maybe he means headphones verses ear buds. Ear buds still work well and take full advantagewith of a dedicated DAC especially a quality pair. You have an appreciation for music and therefore understand. I truly believe that if everyone took the time listen and compare to see what they were missing that they would understand.
I have earbuds as well as headphones. I'm able to hear a distinct difference in sound quality when I play FLAC or WAV files using high impedance headphones. Even the earbuds sound decent, though, using the DAC on my V20.