LG fans, do you feel betrayed by the V30 rumors?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The V20 was considered "underrated". The few that did get the phone bought it for it's features, the others bought it by default after the Note 7 debacle.
I get that, but that's among tech enthusiasts. Most people never heard of whatever they buy before they see it in the carrier store. V20 also has great specs and is fairly easy to sell to people who know a tiny bit about PC but not much about phones.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
The V20 was considered "underrated". The few that did get the phone bought it for it's features, the others bought it by default after the Note 7 debacle.

I am with you. I am still considering picking up a used V20, but the only reasons are: 64 GB of memory, removable batteries, IR blaster and Quad DAC.

Mikie Kyes

Oct 27, 2014
Visit site
I bought the V20 mainly because of the Quad dac and external SD card, I like the IR blaster and removable battery too. It is a very good phone

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I think most people here have completely missed the mark on who brought this phone.

LG's phones since the g3 have had enough advertising, word of mouth and good press (leaving out the bootloops notoriety) that the bulk of those buying them, bought them because of what they offered.

I remember plainly the interest that was generated by LG for the G4 when it came out. The commercials were intencing for these features and what were the alternatives.

The people who were already tired of sealed backs were looking for a alternative and found it.

LG's features is what made the faithful and there are a ton of faithful people to the brand.

Now that every tech writer, fashion expert, tech site has fallen in love with bezeless phones and water resistance, glass backs, and curved Samsung screens, these V series features are no longer in vouge people are trying to say that they never were the reasons why people bought them in the first place or just enthusiasts were is TOTAL BS...

Sure some folks who bought them may never swap batteries or use the IR blaster, but these folks either never used them before or not even know about them.

I personally know about 15 people who have the v20, and a few people who still have their v10 and 2 still use their G4. All know about the batteries and all know about the IR blaster and none of them are tech heads but just everyday people, from all walks of life.

While I know that there are a lot of ignorance in the world, but save for the G4s launch the people who are buying these phones, know darn well what they offer.. And most who walk into a carrier store aren't directed to the LG phones they have to ask for them.. When they aren't sure what they want, the vast majority of time they are led to the Samsung or Apple phones.

Is it a betrayal.. I reserve that call till I know for sure what isn't in the v30...

Mac

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Sure some folks who bought them may never swap batteries or use the IR blaster, but these folks either never used them before or not even know about them.

Yep. My friend knows about the removable battery but doesn't really matter to him.

The IR blaster is moot. He really isn't a TV person so it is a useless feature for him.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yep. My friend knows about the removable battery but doesn't really matter to him.

The IR blaster is moot. He really isn't a TV person so it is a useless feature for him.

I swap batteries and every phone I had prior to the Droid Maxx had removable batteries. I received the Droid Maxx as a warranty replacement so I didn't have a choice since Motorola started sealing their phones. I did not miss the removable battery because the Maxx had a decent battery and when I wasn't using the device it sat in a wireless charging cradle. I got used to wireless charging but gave it up when I went to the G5. The Droid Maxx still has plenty of battery life when I fire it up by the way. I got used to swapping batteries again on the G5 and the IR blaster is cute but I prefer my remote controls. I returned my G5 because I was intrigued by the Nexus uP and tried it out. Loved it but it but some carrier features weren't supported so I returned and got a great deal on a new resale G5. When the V20 came out I had to have it because I missed the large screen of the 6P and wanted the Quad DAC and removable battery. This phone is a beast and I would hate to lose the removable battery especially to go to a glass phone. I would especially hate to give up the Quad DAC. IR blaster is a bonus feature that I rarely use so I don't need it and won't miss it. If tomorrow I had to give up the V20 because there was something I saw in the V30 or other phone that I really wanted, it would not kill me to lose the removable battery. I say that and I have an extra battery, plus a 2X and a 3X battery so I like being able to run all day without charging but I also like fast charging and I have a fast charging juice pack. I really love the Quad DAC and that is the single most important feature I would hate to give up, but if it went away tomorrow I would not feel betrayed because LG made a business decision.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I think most people here have completely missed the mark on who brought this phone.

LG's phones since the g3 have had enough advertising, word of mouth and good press (leaving out the bootloops notoriety) that the bulk of those buying them, bought them because of what they offered.

I remember plainly the interest that was generated by LG for the G4 when it came out. The commercials were intencing for these features and what were the alternatives.

The people who were already tired of sealed backs were looking for a alternative and found it.

LG's features is what made the faithful and there are a ton of faithful people to the brand.

Now that every tech writer, fashion expert, tech site has fallen in love with bezeless phones and water resistance, glass backs, and curved Samsung screens, these V series features are no longer in vouge people are trying to say that they never were the reasons why people bought them in the first place or just enthusiasts were is TOTAL BS...

I personally know about 15 people who have the v20, and a few people who still have their v10 and 2 still use their G4. All know about the batteries and all know about the IR blaster and none of them are tech heads but just everyday people, from all walks of life.

While I know that there are a lot of ignorance in the world, but save for the G4s launch the people who are buying these phones, know darn well what they offer.. And most who walk into a carrier store aren't directed to the LG phones they have to ask for them.. When they aren't sure what they want, the vast majority of time they are led to the Samsung or Apple phones.

Is it a betrayal.. I reserve that call till I know for sure what isn't in the v30...

Mac

You're right. The G4 had a different message. It was in direct competition with the Galaxy S6, which had a sealed battery, glass build, and no micro SD slot. Without those sales numbers from that user base from the G4 and V10, LG wouldn't be where they are now. Now they are famous and finally considered a serious flagship, they decided to go a different route and let go of the features their REAL fans liked. Sell out maybe? Business is business.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

It doesn't matter until the battery starts to show signs of wear. Then he takes it to the retail store to have it looked at. Then the store salesman tells him his battery is shot and needs to buy a replacement battery online. I don't know how many times this happened when I worked at Best Buy: seeing swollen and enlarged batteries from prolonged usage overtime. EVERYONE says their phone is great IN THE BEGINNING, blinded by the honeymoon phase. Then after 8-12 months, the complaints roll in about battery. Now the only thing the salesman can say is to buy a brand new phone because your battery is dead and can't be easily replaced, either that or not worth the trouble to pry open.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I swap batteries and every phone I had prior to the Droid Maxx had removable batteries. I received the Droid Maxx as a warranty replacement so I didn't have a choice since Motorola started sealing their phones. I did not miss the removable battery because the Maxx had a decent battery and when I wasn't using the device it sat in a wireless charging cradle. I got used to wireless charging but gave it up when I went to the G5. The Droid Maxx still has plenty of battery life when I fire it up by the way. I got used to swapping batteries again on the G5 and the IR blaster is cute but I prefer my remote controls. I returned my G5 because I was intrigued by the Nexus uP and tried it out. Loved it but it but some carrier features weren't supported so I returned and got a great deal on a new resale G5. When the V20 came out I had to have it because I missed the large screen of the 6P and wanted the Quad DAC and removable battery. This phone is a beast and I would hate to lose the removable battery especially to go to a glass phone. I would especially hate to give up the Quad DAC. IR blaster is a bonus feature that I rarely use so I don't need it and won't miss it. If tomorrow I had to give up the V20 because there was something I saw in the V30 or other phone that I really wanted, it would not kill me to lose the removable battery. I say that and I have an extra battery, plus a 2X and a 3X battery so I like being able to run all day without charging but I also like fast charging and I have a fast charging juice pack. I really love the Quad DAC and that is the single most important feature I would hate to give up, but if it went away tomorrow I would not feel betrayed because LG made a business decision.

My biggest fear is carrying a portable battery bulky brick with a USB cable attached constantly, looking like a tool. 3200 mAh sealed phone? Come on man! My second fear is dealing with a cracked back glass... Don't tell me that won't happen because I've seen so many cracked Galaxy S6, S7, and Note 5s walking around. Can't help but stare.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
It doesn't matter until the battery starts to show signs of wear. Then he takes it to the retail store to have it looked at. Then the store salesman tells him his battery is shot and needs to buy a replacement battery online. I don't know how many times this happened when I worked at Best Buy: seeing swollen and enlarged batteries from prolonged usage overtime. EVERYONE says their phone is great IN THE BEGINNING, blinded by the honeymoon phase. Then after 8-12 months, the complaints roll in about battery. Now the only thing the salesman can say is to buy a brand new phone because your battery is dead and can't be easily replaced, either that or not worth the trouble to pry open.
Either way... That still doesn't have anything to do with what I said.

You seem to do that a lot lol. You go off on things I never claimed or said. You said those two groups bought the phone. I simply said my friend doesn't fall into that.

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
The battery doesn't wear out in a year, do a factory reset every six months and your battery life will be always good. With new battery technology batteries don't show signs of fatigue until at least 2 years, even then I've seen them go longer.

I used my IR blaster once, and I'll take water resistance over a swappable battery any day. If you know how to setup an android device you should get 20-24 hours easy with the 835-836.

OLED and a DAC and this thing will sell.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
It's not really betrayal.

Eventually, LG will have to follow the pack and do the same thing to grasp mainstream appeal

You can't survive by just appealing to geeks

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
With new battery technology batteries don't show signs of fatigue until at least 2 years, even then I've seen them go longer.

Not really. My phone is 1 1/2yrs old and the battery is shot. Been steadily decreasing for the past 6 months.

I do prefer water resistance but I've never seen a phone battery last that long without degradation.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
The battery doesn't wear out in a year, do a factory reset every six months and your battery life will be always good. With new battery technology batteries don't show signs of fatigue until at least 2 years, even then I've seen them go longer.

I used my IR blaster once, and I'll take water resistance over a swappable battery any day. If you know how to setup an android device you should get 20-24 hours easy with the 835-836.

You are so wrong on this assumption.

A factory reset does nothing to change the fact that batteries start degrading from first usage and that some batteries degrade at a faster rate than others do.

My year old Nexus 6p now is at 55 % capacity and the only thing I can do is to send it out to be replaced and I know full well how to setup Android to maximize my battery life.

The 835 is a good chipset, no doubt about this but until they have eliminated lithium batteries as we know them and get the sulfur based batteries Li-S or Li-A (lithium Air) battery technology battery tech will remain locked in the Trough of Disilussionment and we will need to have a reliable easily replacement battery for our mobile needs.

Mac

Qc_Anubis

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
My biggest fear is carrying a portable battery bulky brick with a USB cable attached constantly, looking like a tool. 3200 mAh sealed phone? Come on man! My second fear is dealing with a cracked back glass... Don't tell me that won't happen because I've seen so many cracked Galaxy S6, S7, and Note 5s walking around. Can't help but stare.
I happen to carry a battery bank (2 even) they're not just for charging but i keep em when I'm out for a while since i have more than just my phone to carry (glucose meter,bluetooth headphones,vaping gear etc) i hear and agree that removable batteries are better but I've never bought any as it wasn't for me and i never ran out in a day. I much rather have ip68 ratings than removable batteries.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

Eventually, LG will have to follow the pack and do the same thing to grasp mainstream appeal

No offense but the V series isn't just appealing to "geeks" and the V series could have been better received but has been hamstrung by lack of advertising

I know that geeks do love it, but there are many people who do own it and love it that aren't "geeky" in the slightest. Not everyone is a form over function type of person these days, but I also know that we are a ever declining minority too.

There were so many things that LG could have done to be the best phablet instead of caving in and being like the rest of the pack. They still can at some point and I hope they do. I fully understand why they are doing this but don't agree with it.

Right now LG has the best OLED technology in large screens but you hardly see any advertising for them..if they can transition into the small screens and do the same will be the key, however... even if v30 is the best OLED screen unless they start spending money on advertising they aren't going to be getting people to be interested in it. They have to excell on all of the the things that makes people want it.. Not just be another clone.

The geeks have got to love it for the features, and it has to appeal for it's looks and it's gui.

Another glass backed phone with curved screens and tons of bloat not available everywhere will be a dismal failure.

My opinion is just this.. They have to keep those who are loyal fans by satisfying them as much as they can and win over everyone else.. Which means they have to innovate not just copy and that takes commitment and big money these days... If they loose us who are "geeky" then they have already lost the battle.

Mac

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Are you saying a factory reset puts your battery back on track or improves performance.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Betrayal....Of course not.
You can't survive in the marketplace unless you appeal to the marketplace. There is not enough of a high end, high tech niche market demand to warrant making a niche device.

Do I agree with every change I see coming...absolutely not.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You're right. The G4 had a different message. It was in direct competition with the Galaxy S6, which had a sealed battery, glass build, and no micro SD slot. Without those sales numbers from that user base from the G4 and V10, LG wouldn't be where they are now. Now they are famous and finally considered a serious flagship, they decided to go a different route and let go of the features their REAL fans liked. Sell out maybe? Business is business.
I'm not 100% sure, trying to find out, but I think the G2 was the highest selling LG flagship and that it's been steady downhill since then. If they respond will post it here.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc