The V30 rumoured battery: Disappointment or a non issue?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I for one am a bit disappointed in hearing that the V30 will most likely be sporting a 3200mAh battery. It being 100mAh smaller than the upcoming Note 8 is in my book a non event, however that does give Samsung bragging rights that they in fact have the bigger battery. The common thought is that the 835 will run more efficiently and fast charging eliminates the need for large batteries, however it seems like we are going backwards these days or at least staying the same when it comes to battery size.

While I don't think its enough to keep me from buying it if everything else about the phone says buy, buy, buy, it certainly puts a dent in the hopes I had for at least 3500mAh.

The other uncertainty or lack of faith I'm seeing is the P-OLED screen. Some are already expressing hesitancy because LG supposedly had issues with that type of screen in the past. I guess time will tell if these or other features make for a decent phone.

SchinkenSpicker

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
The HTC U11 is doing well with 3000 mAh, so I think 3200 mAh are ok for a Phone with Snapdragon 835 and an OLED screen in terms of runtime.
But my problem is, that there are no reserves for the future. A battery loses capacity permanently and this one won't be removable. For a non-removable battery I want to see 10%-20% 'bonus capacity' that's above the capacity needed for good runtimes, so I don't have to worry after 2 years that the capacity of my non-removable battery is too low.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The HTC U11 is doing well with 3000 mAh, so I think 3200 mAh are ok for a Phone with Snapdragon 835 and an OLED screen in terms of runtime.
But my problem is, that there are no reserves for the future. A battery loses capacity permanently and this one won't be removable. For a non-removable battery I want to see 10%-20% 'bonus capacity' that's above the capacity needed for good runtimes, so I don't have to worry after 2 years that the capacity of my non-removable battery is too low.
I too prefer a replaceable battery but it looks like those of us that care are fighting a losing battle. How long can we hold onto our current phones before we have to go the sealed route? I don't think at this point its coming back. Its happening to laptops too although most of them can be opened up with minor to no surgery.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm definitely in the camp that doesn't care. If we're talking about a battery that's 3% smaller that really couldn't make a difference under any circumstance. Obviously trying to get the glass body and curved screens and all that other nonsense that they're going for, my guess is that they're doing the best they can given the size constraints of the chassis.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Does it matter if we're buying new phones the minute they hit the shelves? Talking to the Gotta Have "The Latest And Greatest Crowd". And even if your the crowd that gets a new phone every 2 years, if that battery doesn't last that then it pretty much SUCKS.

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
My issue here is that LG hasn't been the most battery efficient in terms of their software optimizations in a while. It's likely a 2K display they're using so, I expect the same or slightly worse battery life than the V20. Having owned a Flex 2, G4 and now a V20, I don't even expect stellar battery life from LG.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Does it matter if we're buying new phones the minute they hit the shelves? Talking to the Gotta Have "The Latest And Greatest Crowd". And even if your the crowd that gets a new phone every 2 years, if that battery doesn't last that then it pretty much SUCKS.

Well it matters to some people. The way I see is that add new features or run deals that entice us to upgrade sooner. I used to wait for at least an upgrade when I was on a carrier subsidised phone. The phone I'm on now will have about 12 months left on my payment plan which won't set me back if I chose to upgrade especially if I sell what I currently have. I could also wait a bit and let the dust settle to get a better deal.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
My issue here is that LG hasn't been the most battery efficient in terms of their software optimizations in a while. It's likely a 2K display they're using so, I expect the same or slightly worse battery life than the V20. Having owned a Flex 2, G4 and now a V20, I don't even expect stellar battery life from LG.

I'm hearing from many the OLED is more efficient. Are they wrong?

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Well it matters to some people. The way I see is that add new features or run deals that entice us to upgrade sooner. I used to wait for at least an upgrade when I was on a carrier subsidised phone. The phone I'm on now will have about 12 months left on my payment plan which won't set me back if I chose to upgrade especially if I sell what I currently have. I could also wait a bit and let the dust settle to get a better deal.
November seems to be the best time to find the deals... Same here, I get a phone on payments then pay it off right when the deals hit to grab a new one. :)

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Do you know what you're going to buy?
No way! I usually wait till the dust settles, till all the real time use videos come out, then decide. The only knock for the V20 for me is the ocasional slow down from to many apps running in the background that only a reboot can fix, this was mentioned in most reviews on YouTube. That's why I usaully wait till Novenber.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No way! I usually wait till the dust settles, till all the real time use videos come out, then decide. The only knock for the V20 for me is the ocasional slow down from to many apps running in the background that only a reboot can fix, this was mentioned in most reviews on YouTube. That's why I usaully wait till Novenber.

Well if I upgrade it will mostly likely be V30. I'm not a Note fan and the U11 would not be good on Verizon. I also refuse to go without a normal headphone jack. The Google XL2 would be nice if it had V30 features because of the timely updates. I hate the Zforce 2 for gimping the battery. Never like the shattershield and heard it scratches easier. So that pretty much leaves me with stay with V20 or go V30.

Ryano89

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm definitely in the camp that doesn't care. If we're talking about a battery that's 3% smaller that really couldn't make a difference under any circumstance. Obviously trying to get the glass body and curved screens and all that other nonsense that they're going for, my guess is that they're doing the best they can given the size constraints of the chassis.
I'm sure you're correct, but my answer to it is simple.... Make a thicker chassis.

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I'm hearing from many the OLED is more efficient. Are they wrong?
I hope so. I think LG does a solid job with the battery tech itself, but I question how well they optimize their UI.

I've got a Mi Note 2 that has a 5.7" 1080P OLED from LG, ironically. Running with its 4070 Mah battery, it does fine to get me through the day. Initially I'd get two days usage but now it's down a half day...may need to factory reset and clear some rouge apps. Sadly Xiaomi has it on 6.0.1 but I'll see how it fares with 7.0.

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
November seems to be the best time to find the deals... Same here, I get a phone on payments then pay it off right when the deals hit to grab a new one. :)
I'm waiting until November too to see how the V30 looks. Not getting a Pixel or Note, and as much as I like the U11, it's lacking a few things I'd like.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm waiting until November too to see how the V30 looks. Not getting a Pixel or Note, and as much as I like the U11, it's lacking a few things I'd like.

Inadequate carrier support and losing the 3.5 jack is a no go on the U11, otherwise its a heck of a phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante