LG V30 Customizable Voice Commands, Facial Recognition & Other Features Explained

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Nothing interesting here. Phones have had customizable voice unlock for a long time. It's weak security. With the iris/face scanner, you don't want it to unlock every time you look at it. That's why the other phones require you to hit a button first. It defeats the purpose of the AOD if looking at the AOD unlocks the phone. My Surfacebook logs me in when I look at it, which can be annoying when I don't want to log in. Graph is useless.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Nothing interesting here. Phones have had customizable voice unlock for a long time. It's weak security. With the iris/face scanner, you don't want it to unlock every time you look at it. That's why the other phones require you to hit a button first. It defeats the purpose of the AOD if looking at the AOD unlocks the phone. My Surfacebook logs me in when I look at it, which can be annoying when I don't want to log in. Graph is useless.

The point of posting the article was to explain some of the features. You immediately choose to seek out the negative and shoot it down without even seeing it and you have no intention of buying it anyway.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The point of posting the article was to explain some of the features. You immediately choose to seek out the negative and shoot it down without even seeing it and you have no intention of buying it anyway.

It is on a list of phones that are potential purchases for me. They fixed the terrible UI which was a huge issue for me. They have made a lot of progress with this phone. The display needs to be burn-in resistant and the camera software needs to stop over sharpening everything (which I doubt will happen considering LG has been doing this since my G2).

If you buy an LG V30, you should turn off voice unlock because it will unlock randomly when other people say your voice command. You should turn off the facial scanner from activating without a button press because the phone will wake when you don't want it to. The camera features they mentioned are useless and shouldn't be used because your environment will not be exactly the same as the one the professional photographer took. I have already said that the new UX looks great in another thread so I didn't address it here.

I'm negative about LG because they're out of touch. Why are they promoting features that phones had 5 or 6 years ago and making things out to be convenient when they are usually inconvenient? However, LG can still change my views by getting their act together.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It is on a list of phones that are potential purchases for me. They fixed the terrible UI which was a huge issue for me. They have made a lot of progress with this phone. The display needs to be burn-in resistant and the camera software needs to stop over sharpening everything (which I doubt will happen considering LG has been doing this since my G2).

If you buy an LG V30, you should turn off voice unlock because it will unlock randomly when other people say your voice command. You should turn off the facial scanner from activating without a button press because the phone will wake when you don't want it to. The camera features they mentioned are useless and shouldn't be used because your environment will not be exactly the same as the one the professional photographer took. I have already said that the new UX looks great in another thread so I didn't address it here.

I'm negative about LG because they're out of touch. Why are they promoting features that phones had 5 or 6 years ago and making things out to be convenient when they are usually inconvenient? However, LG can still change my views by getting their act together.

I'll reserve judgement on the features you mention until I see them in action. I'm not a fan of facial recognition and quite happy with Fingerprint security. If I have to push a button why do I need it recognize my face. Its not like someone's going to steal my finger or lift my prints off a drinking glass to get into my phone.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site

The Graphy feature seems interesting for folks who don't quite understand all the settings offered in the manual mode. Graphy might get the settings 90% right, where an uninformed user might get it less than that. As always, the proof will be in the implementation and real world use after we actually get a phone, but I don't think its a bad feature to try out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy