Huge opportunity for LG

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Judging from the comments and hands on videos from the hoopla of the Note 8 announcement I feel like many came away either underwhelmed or not that enthusiastic about it. Of course you have those that really love the new features of the Note 8. But Samsung clearly played it safe especially in the battery department and with the popularity of the S8+ the Note 8 is losing just a little of its unique qualities amd superiority over the slightly littler sibling. And don't get me started on the $$$ they're asking.

The dual OIS cameras certainly look very promising but I think this is now LG's stage to shine on now. The unique feature set of the V30 along with a first in class f/1.6 aperture could really move LG closer to the spotlight that Samsung deservedly in most respects enjoys. Even though the V30 will lose a lot of personality(2nd screen) and hardware features(removable battery-IR blaster? maybe), the step up to water resistance and an OLED display narrows the gap between Samsung flagships and LG's.

I'm really looking for LG to take advantage of this opportunity unlike what they did with the V20 last year. Looking forward to the new camera setup and that super cool ultrawide angle secondary lens which no one else is doing either. Another reason why the V30 already stands out. If LG nails it and prices the V30 along the lines of the rumored $700-750 price range, the V30 SHOULD BE(not necessarily will be) the best phone of 2017. In my opinion.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Judging from the comments and hands on videos from the hoopla of the Note 8 announcement I feel like many came away either underwhelmed or not that enthusiastic about it. Of course you have those that really love the new features of the Note 8. But Samsung clearly played it safe especially in the battery department and with the popularity of the S8+ the Note 8 is losing just a little of its unique qualities amd superiority over the slightly littler sibling. And don't get me started on the $$$ they're asking.

The dual OIS cameras certainly look very promising but I think this is now LG's stage to shine on now. The unique feature set of the V30 along with a first in class f/1.6 aperture could really move LG closer to the spotlight that Samsung deservedly in most respects enjoys. Even though the V30 will lose a lot of personality(2nd screen) and hardware features(removable battery-IR blaster? maybe), the step up to water resistance and an OLED display narrows the gap between Samsung flagships and LG's.

I'm really looking for LG to take advantage of this opportunity unlike what they did with the V20 last year. Looking forward to the new camera setup and that super cool ultrawide angle secondary lens which no one else is doing either. Another reason why the V30 already stands out. If LG nails it and prices the V30 along the lines of the rumored $700-750 price range, the V30 SHOULD BE(not necessarily will be) the best phone of 2017. In my opinion.
And now that Tmobile has announced that the S8 won't be compatible with their new 600mhz frequency (compared to Verizon's 700) and LGv30 is...well, yup...LG will be supreme.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
As long as the V30 keeps the 3.5 and DHAC I will consider it, cuz I am still luvin my V20
Yeah me too. I don't think I'll give mine up so I'm thinking about paying it off early and opting into the Jump On Demand plan with T-Mobile. Then I can play around with the V30 and then jump to the S9. The V20 is the last of its kind.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah me too. I don't think I'll give mine up so I'm thinking about paying it off early and opting into the Jump On Demand plan with T-Mobile. Then I can play around with the V30 and then jump to the S9. The V20 is the last of its kind.

If I pay mine off early I will still owe about 360 on preorder date.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The Note8 will still be a better device than the V30 and it still has the S Pen that the V30 doesn't. The V30 is competing with the S8+, not the Note8.

Here we go again.... Better device for who? You can't speak for everyone...you don't get to decide for everyone... You just don't . Most people don't want an S pen just like most people dont want the LG features you claim nobody wants. When the Note 7 met a premature death, many jumped to another phone besides Samsung and many are happy. Some will go back of course... Its inevitable, but some are waiting for the V30 as well as the Pixel 2 as well as the iPhone 8 and a few others not worth mentioning. If someone is stuck on the Spen then they have no options, but those that aren't have many alternatives.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
The Note8 will still be a better device than the V30 and it still has the S Pen that the V30 doesn't. The V30 is competing with the S8+, not the Note8.
How many people really use the S Pen after a month? The S Pen makes it a better device for people who enjoy writing/drawing. For everyone else its fair game.

Leykis

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
I think the V30 will be a great phone just not one I will be buying. I thought the V20 was a nice step up from the V10. In terms of the build quality I preferred the more rugged feel of the V10 with those steel rail sides but I thought LG did a nice job with the V20 in making an all metal phone while keeping the battery removable.

With the V30 I think LG is completely abandoning alot of what made the V series unique, in terms of both design and features. I'm sure the camera and audio with the quad-DAC will still be great but it seems like with the design of the phone they're trying to be more like Samsung and Apple instead of trying to create something that stands out on its own. And from a business standpoint I understand why they're taking this approach. I think the OLED display and water resistance are both welcome additions to the V series but removal of the second screen, a removable battery, and IR are things that made the V series phone stand out from the competition. Also not really sure about the drop resistance going to an all glass/metal build but I'm sure it won't be nearly as durable as the V10 or V20.

I hope the V30 does well for LG, I just wish it wasn't such a big departure from the previous models because I would have definitely considered it over the Note 8.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site

So you'll just end up with a Samsung in the end anyway?

dkediger

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
How many people really use the S Pen after a month? The S Pen makes it a better device for people who enjoy writing/drawing. For everyone else its fair game.

For my wife, it's not the "S" Samsung enhancements, it's not the Pen as a writing instrument itself - it's that it's a stylus/pointer that DOCKS into a quite capable phone (Note 5) itself so that they're always together. Nothing more, nothing less. A quality folio cover with a secure pen attachment for a different device would work as well for her.

Dark Pixels ll

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
I really hope LG doesn't fall into that trap again of trying to keep up with Samsung. They'll fail every time.

This is an opportunity to keep making strides by making quality V series devices and hopefully improve their camera experience.

People may seem underwhelmed by the Note8, but an underwhelming Note8 is still going to be one of the best phones of the year. And if it's anything like the Note 7 was, once Note fans actually get time with the phone, it's over (without explosions this time).

The V30 however, looks like a beast in it's own right

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol