LGV30 vs Pixel XL 2

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I've been patiently awaiting the V30 but deep down I'm really looking forward to the upcoming Pixel XL. Anyone offer pro's or cons for either

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
LG V30 Pros: Quad DAC

Pixel 2 XL Pros: Better design, better build materials, better software, better security, better support, better storage options, better processer

Too soon to tell: Which has a better display, which has better battery life, which has a better camera. Assumption is that the Pixel 2 XL will win all three of those based on history, but we could be surprised.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site

Pixel 2 XL Pros: Better design, better build materials, better software, better security, better support, better storage options, better processer

Too soon to tell: Which has a better display, which has better battery life, which has a better camera. Assumption is that the Pixel 2 XL will win all three of those based on history, but we could be surprised.
Why would you say the new Pixel will have better storage options? Pixels don't have SD card support. Google wants everyone to store every thing in the cloud and stream to your device.

Google has a lot to prove in showing they can deliver a top line phone. Nexus phones sold on low price and early access to updates. Pixels had a high cost, but did not deliver on the high end features to justify the cost. The only great thing about the original Pixels was their access to updates and a nice camera. Google/HTC will have to show a lot more in the new Pixels.

Last edited:

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Do Pixel devices reliably receive MONTHLY security patches, no matter where you are in the world?

I'm still on ******* January on my HTC 10.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Why would you say the new Pixel will have better storage options? Pixels don't have SD card support. Google wants everyone to store every thing in the cloud and stream to your device.

Google has a lot to prove in showing they can deliver a top line phone. Nexus phones sold on low price and early access to updates. Pixels had a high cost, but did not deliver on the high end features to justify the cost. The only great thing about the original Pixels was their access to updates and a nice camera. Google/HTC will have to show a lot more in the new Pixels.
128 is more than 64

SchinkenSpicker

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
I like the LG more. What I personally dislike about the Pixel 2: ugly design, ugly stock Android, stock Android lacking options and features other manufacturers add, no headphone jack, no SD card slot, higher price.

SchinkenSpicker

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
They look almost the same on the front, the back is just metal instead of glass... what's ugly about it?

The back! I don't like it consisting of two different parts having two different black tones and surfaces. I prefer uniformity. Also the speaker grill on the front is abnormally wide and the lower and upper bezels are larger than they are on the V30, but those are just minor things. It's mostly the back for me. It is very subjective.

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I've never owned a Nexus or a Pixel phone. A co-worker has a Pixel. We were comparing some low light shots and his phone was definitely better. I've always wanted to try bone stock Android. In all honesty though any phone I get will have Adw launcher, Google keyboard, and be themed to my liking so how much difference would their really be?

On the other hand the G6 has been performing great and has me hoping the V30 will continue LGs step in the right direction after the whole G4 thing.

Decisions...

MikeyBugs95

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

Well screen is going to be manufactured by LG, so I would assume they'd be nearly the same. (Also, the Pixel is a flat screen while the V30 will be curved at the edges). So far, it seems more likely that the Pixel will have the 835 chip and not the supposed (still no news of it actually EXISTING) 836.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well screen is going to be manufactured by LG, so I would assume they'd be nearly the same. (Also, the Pixel is a flat screen while the V30 will be curved at the edges). So far, it seems more likely that the Pixel will have the 835 chip and not the supposed (still no news of it actually EXISTING) 836.

836 has been stated by Evan Blass now, so that's much more reliable than anything before. Definitely not official, but much better than before. LG is manufacturing both displays, however LG typically doesn't calibrate their displays the same as they do for Google products (examples, Nexus 5, Nexus 5X). But those products used Samsung displays on LG products, so this is a wild card at the moment.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I believe the screen itself is flat on the V30. It's the glass that's curved.

eshropshire

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I am pretty sure the 836. I would be very surprised if the new Pixel is not using the 836.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site

Samsung made the screen for the previous Pixels and they weren't nearly as good as what they put on their own devices.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Do Pixel devices reliably receive MONTHLY security patches, no matter where you are in the world?

I'm still on ******* January on my HTC 10.

I will never understand why people are so worried about security. I have been on Android for like 9 years and haven't had a single security issue. If your phone gets hacked, it will be because someone hacked an online database that had your username/email and password or because you fell for a phishing scam. A security update isn't going to protect you from either of those things.

mchi5

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget the Pixel 2 XL will be made by LG. (the regular pixel 2 will be made by HTC I think)

And hopefully pixel will finally have IP68 rating and wireless charging. But I am excited for both phones.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget the Pixel 2 XL will be made by LG. (the regular pixel 2 will be made by HTC I think)

And hopefully pixel will finally have IP68 rating and wireless charging. But I am excited for both phones.

No to wireless charging.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Made by LG but to Google specs. I would have loved to see the XL2 with a few more V30 features but that's not a realistic expectation.

One of the things I despise about the Google phones is that they keep changing builders. Even though in the end it's a Google spec I have concerns about product consistency.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan