10-02-2017 11:41 AM
59 123
tools
    The term "military grade" is what is misleading, because that term doesn't mean anything concerning durability or strength, etc.

Advertising that they passed the MIl-STD-810G tests, or at least 14 of tests, is a separate thing. It is not misleading to advertise that they built the device and it passed some of the tests, however it is misleading to imply that means it is any more or less durable than anything else.

The LG G and V devices are NOT ruggedized phones. They are simply phones.

Given that the testing requirements for IP ratings are more stringent than the 810G equivalent tests, it is safe to say that most devices with any IP rating can pass the exact same 810G tests (and so can most devices without an IP rating). So why doesn't every manufacturer do 810G testing? Because it is A) expensive B) meaningless and therefore C) pointless.
    09-07-2017 07:30 AM
    The term "military grade" is what is misleading, because that term doesn't mean anything concerning durability or strength, etc.

Advertising that they passed the MIl-STD-810G tests, or at least 14 of tests, is a separate thing. It is not misleading to advertise that they built the device and it passed some of the tests, however it is misleading to imply that means it is any more or less durable than anything else.

Given that the testing requirements for IP ratings are more stringent than the 810G equivalent tests, it is safe to say that most devices with any IP rating can pass the exact same 810G tests (and so can most devices without an IP rating). So why doesn't every manufacturer do 810G testing? Because it is A) expensive B) meaningless and therefore C) pointless.
    We will never stop product makers from suggestive advertising. It's part of doing business. The most we can hope for is for people to point things out.
    09-07-2017 08:09 AM
    LG promoting "military spec" drop protection is like Apple promoting their "Retina Display" (means nothing).
    09-07-2017 12:31 PM

Most manufactuers strive for this testing, but you will only hear about it if they pass the certification. Why would they bother telling the consumer that their product failed the parts of 810G? It's also not expensive

MIL-STD is a ruggedness standard that's touted by electronic manufacturers. The two terms are synonymous. A phone that passes certain parts of the 810G is considered "rugged." Just like how the Samsung S8 Active is considered rugged, the same applies for the LG V series. You do get variations of "ruggedness" since other manufactures go above & beyond to exceed the norm.

As for Ingress Protection, it's not stringent. It's actually a subset of the 810G. It's literally penetration testing against solid particles & liquids/vapors. The test is not all inclusive. A device can sport two different ratings (ie IP62 & IP67). A device can fail a spray test (up to IP*6) but pass an immersion test (IP*7). Highly concentrated pressure at one point could affect an enclosure differently than distributed pressure you would get with submersion. The manufacturer would simply claim it's IP67 & IP62, anything in between would not be implied.

LG never claimed or implied that their products were more or less durable than others. The confusion stems from folks misinterpreting the terminilogy. They simply advertised the phone as "military grade" just like how Ford puts out commercials about their "military grade" F-150 trucks. Just like with any commercial, you typically get a little disclaimer on the bottom of commercial to get more information about the claim. If parts of the device or car complies with a MIL-SPEC, the use of the term is deemed acceptable.
    09-11-2017 01:14 AM
    Most manufactuers strive for this testing, but you will only hear about it if they pass the certification. Why would they bother telling the consumer that their product failed the parts of 810G? It's also not expensive

MIL-STD is a ruggedness standard that's touted by electronic manufacturers. The two terms are synonymous. A phone that passes certain parts of the 810G is considered "rugged." Just like how the Samsung S8 Active is considered rugged, the same applies for the LG V series. You do get variations of "ruggedness" since other manufactures go above & beyond to exceed the norm.

As for Ingress Protection, it's not stringent. It's actually a subset of the 810G. It's literally penetration testing against solid particles & liquids/vapors. The test is not all inclusive. A device can sport two different ratings (ie IP62 & IP67). A device can fail a spray test (up to IP*6) but pass an immersion test (IP*7). Highly concentrated pressure at one point could affect an enclosure differently than distributed pressure you would get with submersion. The manufacturer would simply claim it's IP67 & IP62, anything in between would not be implied.

LG never claimed or implied that their products were more or less durable than others. The confusion stems from folks misinterpreting the terminilogy. They simply advertised the phone as "military grade" just like how Ford puts out commercials about their "military grade" F-150 trucks. Just like with any commercial, you typically get a little disclaimer on the bottom of commercial to get more information about the claim. If parts of the device or car complies with a MIL-SPEC, the use of the term is deemed acceptable.
    No offense intended but I'm not going to bother with this. Lots of incorrect statements that have already been addressed earlier in the thread And I'm not convinced that this words are being read so seems a waste of time to add more to them.
    09-11-2017 07:14 AM
    No offense intended but I'm not going to bother with this. Lots of incorrect statements that have already been addressed earlier in the thread And I'm not convinced that this words are being read so seems a waste of time to add more to them.
    Almost forgot about this one...it's one thing to admit when you're wrong & it's also another to be oblvious to the facts... whichever route you choose is perfectly fine with me as long as you're happy.

Side note...I hardly even have enough time to read through all the LG threads on this forum, so I won't bother going back to the original thread to address any concerns or give tutorials. This thread alone has plenty of info for anyone willing to learn about military grade phones.
    10-01-2017 11:08 PM
    Almost forgot about this one...it's one thing to admit when you're wrong & it's also another to be oblvious to the facts... whichever route you choose is perfectly fine with me as long as you're happy.

Side note...I hardly even have enough time to read through all the LG threads on this forum, so I won't bother going back to the original thread to address any concerns or give tutorials. This thread alone has plenty of info for anyone willing to learn about military grade phones.
    No one was asking for a tutorial, just for a sincere dialogue rather than mere repetition of statements already either proven defunct or called into question.

So to be clear, there's no such thing as a military grade phone. The tests they performed do not make it military grade The term military grade has no meaning in 99% of consumer products, including 100% of smartphones available to consumers.

If we're arguing just to argue, this is pointless. Of you want to understand why those three statements are true and then continue from there, then there is a potential to address the rest, but we can't build a debate on a foundation of falsehoods and poor definitions, no matter how many times they are repeated.
    10-02-2017 07:29 AM
    Does LG use Military Grade solder on their motherboards? They have their phones tested for ruggedness, yet cannot assemble them with solder that is rugged enough to crack and cause then to bootloop. Mil Spec bootloops in the battlefield. I've personally experienced 4 Mil Spec bootloops from LG in the past few years. Great durability. They do make great handwarmers on cold snowy winter days.
    10-02-2017 07:47 AM
    Does LG use Military Grade solder on their motherboards? They have their phones tested for ruggedness, yet cannot assemble them with solder that is rugged enough to crack and cause then to bootloop. Mil Spec bootloops in the battlefield. I've personally experienced 4 Mil Spec bootloops from LG in the past few years. Great durability. They do make great handwarmers on cold snowy winter days.
    As far as I'm aware, the G4 and V10 (the solder bootloop phones) were not advertized as military grade/spec/etc.

10-02-2017 11:41 AM
59 123