Seems like V30 is going to be the best phone

LGman072

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Samsung Experience isn't bloated. Many people have said as much in reviews. I'm sure LG's skin has been lighter in the past, but their UI also offers less. At least until the V30. My point is, people have rose-tinted glasses on when they say that LG software is good. I'd argue that they're the worst manufacturer when it comes to software. Most brands have lighter skins than LG and Samsung's is heavier but offers more and doesn't have the history of brick in phones that LG's does and their apps are generally really good.
You admit Samsung's software is "heavier"... But it's not bloated. Seems like you're the one with rose colored glasses. I've used both. I just have a far different opinion than you, apparently

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
Your last sentence says it all. Every phone has compromises, every single one.

What you said is sad but the truth, however it shouldn't be the case today in high end phone, while cheap phone have some compromises, they have great battery life great performance and features, high end phones should have NO COMPROMISES, otherwise i better off buying a cheap phone and call it a day.

V30 and Note 8 battery is a big big no for me, knowing that the Mate 10 will have 4000mah with 10nm CPU, that is already sounds like a big win.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
LG gives us what we want. Apple/Pixel gives you what THEY want. Removing the headphone jack is a silly, cowardly move. If you like a $900 media powerhouse that lacks a basic 3.5mm jack, then enjoy it. Companies like the Essential phone deserve to go bankrupt for doing that.

I kinda liked having an IR Blaster and a notification LED that they removed. A lot of people didn't want the removable battery and buttons from the back changed either but LG changed those too. Then there was the G5 with it's 'Friends' mods that they randomly implemented then quickly took away a year later. LG give you what THEY want to maximise profit just like any other manufacturer do in afraid

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You admit Samsung's software is "heavier"... But it's not bloated. Seems like you're the one with rose colored glasses. I've used both. I just have a far different opinion than you, apparently

Heavier doesn't mean bloated. It's not bloated. Unless you just hate phones with a ton of features and settings to tweak. If you think Samsung phones are bloated then LG phones are certainly bloated as well.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Note 8: too similar to S8+, curves are just too much. Fingerprint placement is annoying, battery size is mediocre for a phone that large. Touch Wiz software isn't the best, concerned with longevity of the device. Might as well buy S8+ bc it's cheaper and barely any different. Dual camera is gimmicky, trying to be like Apple, don't need to blur background, I can do it with editing app. S pen isn't really needed. Over hyped like the S8.

Pixel XL 2: no headphone jack, no microSD. Phone is cloud based, need internet access to do everything. Single camera setup. Boring, no innovation or changes. Sure the pure Android is nice but boring like Apple.

Essential phone: No headphone jack. No features. No microSD. No essentials. No fun. Still uses LCD. Camera hole in center looks ridiculous. Basically a wannabe Xiaomi Mi Max from 2 years ago.

Moto Z Force 2: looks exactly the same as the 1st one, no changes. Looks boring and ugly, front home button is from 2012. No headphone jack. Design is horrible, giant camera bump, giant chins.

HTC U11: no headphone jack. Looks way too shiney and glossy, terrible oval shape will slide off table. Still uses LCD. Still has front fingerprint scanner from 2014. Single camera setup. Gimmicky squeeze feature. Nothing exciting. Cheaper to buy previous years U Ultra bc it's basically the same.

OnePlus 5: software problems already reported (reversed upside-down display). Old, non innovative design. Bezels are too big for 2017. Fast charger not compatible with other fast chargers. Kinda boring, too basic.

V30: except for the removal of the removable battery and IR blaster, and minimal UI changes, this phone is actually exciting and looks physically better than any of the phones mentioned above. Instead of making excuses, LG man up and improved the audio jack quality with the new DAC. Kept the 16MP camera with the first 1.6 apature sensor, AND included a upgraded 13MP wide angle. Front camera also has wide angle, no one else has that. Improved photography software. Video recording experience improved, upgraded hardware and software. Beautiful flawless design, curves aren't too crazy, FPS is in correct spot. Finally added their AMOLED technology, more durable with P-AMOLED. Added water resistance and wireless charging. Still kept the micro SD slot (no brainier). Software is the most optimized and reliable, and has better longevity than other phones (talking about the V30, not the defects from G4/V10, already fixed that issue starting with G5)

If anything, my money is going towards LG because I support innovative designs and features that benefit everyone including myself. Slashing the headphone jack and micro SD is not the answer, nor adding gimmicky features to lure people in. The V30 is a useful phone with useful and high tech features, at a fair price.

Well, we'll.. The things you mentioned make a good point in favor of the 30. But there are still, plenty of phones out there that deserve a look see, before any final decision is made. As an audiophile, I'm looking very closely at the v30 for its audio prowess and camera. If this device doesn't impress, I'll consider the S8. That, too, has a hifi dac but for some reason, samsung keeps it quiet. I've got an S7 EDGE now, but I carry 2 phones because I love the sound system and dolby atmos in the ZTE axon 7. So, time will tell.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, we'll.. The things you mentioned make a good point in favor of the 30. But there are still, plenty of phones out there that deserve a look see, before any final decision is made. As an audiophile, I'm looking very closely at the v30 for its audio prowess and camera. If this device doesn't impress, I'll consider the S8. That, too, has a hifi dac but for some reason, samsung keeps it quiet. I've got an S7 EDGE now, but I carry 2 phones because I love the sound system and dolby atmos in the ZTE axon 7. So, time will tell.

The output level of the S8 doesn't compare to the V20 or the Axon7

LGman072

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
Heavier doesn't mean bloated. It's not bloated. Unless you just hate phones with a ton of features and settings to tweak. If you think Samsung phones are bloated then LG phones are certainly bloated as well.
It does according to me and the thousands of others who have said the same thing.
By your own admission, LG phones are lighter in their software. Yet now you want to say they're the same because it's something negative about Samsung. More rose colored glasses..

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
It does according to me and the thousands of others who have said the same thing.
By your own admission, LG phones are lighter in their software. Yet now you want to say they're the same because it's something negative about Samsung. More rose colored glasses..

If they all went vanilla Android we would be better off.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm really shocked that LG and Samsung fans are so bitter against each other. We're of a very similar taste. I could go back and forth between each company and never miss a beat.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm really shocked that LG and Samsung fans are so bitter against each other. We're of a very similar taste. I could go back and forth between each company and never miss a beat.

I don't understand a lot of the knocking back in forth. I generally tell people about the features that I like or don't like about my phone but never do I tell someone their phone or brand is garbage. I'm not a Samsung owner... Doesn't mean I would never go that route but they just don't offer what I want at the moment.

al23

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, I don't get it either. Although I have had better luck with LG phones, I have nothing against Samsung. Or Apple, for that matter. I loved the Note5. And I enjoy when new phones are announced, regardless of the company. Sometimes these folks behave as if they have a personal stake in these companies.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I'm probably getting the V30 (as long as the V30 amoled screen issues some sites are reporting are not as bad as they seem). I spend most of my time looking at the screen on my phone, I won't be taking a step back from my S7 flat.

I'm glad you are excited and that this phone looks like the best to you. It's looking good to me too, on paper.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The V30 is probably going to be one of the best LG phones this year. It's definitely NOT the best phone of the year.

The Note 8, the concern with longevity you already know is based on a lie. The battery is the same size as the V30, how is that a problem?

The Pixel 2 XL does not require internet to do anything that the V30 doesn't... wtf does cloud based mean?

Not going to go through every device, the whole list is garbage and ignoring the actual merits and flaws of the devices. LG V30 is probably going to end as a top 10 device this year, but it definitely will not be top 5 unless a software update somehow puts the camera over the top of the S8.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The V30 is probably going to be one of the best LG phones this year. It's definitely NOT the best phone of the year.

The Note 8, the concern with longevity you already know is based on a lie. The battery is the same size as the V30, how is that a problem?

The Pixel 2 XL does not require internet to do anything that the V30 doesn't... wtf does cloud based mean?

Not going to go through every device, the whole list is garbage and ignoring the actual merits and flaws of the devices. LG V30 is probably going to end as a top 10 device this year, but it definitely will not be top 5 unless a software update somehow puts the camera over the top of the S8.

I think the OP is stating his opinion.

ThrottleJohnny

Trusted Member
Apr 1, 2014
Visit site

At the end of the day, the "best" phone will never be unanimously agreed upon. I think the V30 will be a phone that everyone who owns it, will rave to no end about.

Android Central will likely pick the Pixel 2, as that phone is most their style.