Seems like V30 is going to be the best phone

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Note 8: too similar to S8+, curves are just too much. Fingerprint placement is annoying, battery size is mediocre for a phone that large. Touch Wiz software isn't the best, concerned with longevity of the device. Might as well buy S8+ bc it's cheaper and barely any different. Dual camera is gimmicky, trying to be like Apple, don't need to blur background, I can do it with editing app. S pen isn't really needed. Over hyped like the S8.

Pixel XL 2: no headphone jack, no microSD. Phone is cloud based, need internet access to do everything. Single camera setup. Boring, no innovation or changes. Sure the pure Android is nice but boring like Apple.

Essential phone: No headphone jack. No features. No microSD. No essentials. No fun. Still uses LCD. Camera hole in center looks ridiculous. Basically a wannabe Xiaomi Mi Max from 2 years ago.

Moto Z Force 2: looks exactly the same as the 1st one, no changes. Looks boring and ugly, front home button is from 2012. No headphone jack. Design is horrible, giant camera bump, giant chins.

HTC U11: no headphone jack. Looks way too shiney and glossy, terrible oval shape will slide off table. Still uses LCD. Still has front fingerprint scanner from 2014. Single camera setup. Gimmicky squeeze feature. Nothing exciting. Cheaper to buy previous years U Ultra bc it's basically the same.

OnePlus 5: software problems already reported (reversed upside-down display). Old, non innovative design. Bezels are too big for 2017. Fast charger not compatible with other fast chargers. Kinda boring, too basic.

V30: except for the removal of the removable battery and IR blaster, and minimal UI changes, this phone is actually exciting and looks physically better than any of the phones mentioned above. Instead of making excuses, LG man up and improved the audio jack quality with the new DAC. Kept the 16MP camera with the first 1.6 apature sensor, AND included a upgraded 13MP wide angle. Front camera also has wide angle, no one else has that. Improved photography software. Video recording experience improved, upgraded hardware and software. Beautiful flawless design, curves aren't too crazy, FPS is in correct spot. Finally added their AMOLED technology, more durable with P-AMOLED. Added water resistance and wireless charging. Still kept the micro SD slot (no brainier). Software is the most optimized and reliable, and has better longevity than other phones (talking about the V30, not the defects from G4/V10, already fixed that issue starting with G5)

If anything, my money is going towards LG because I support innovative designs and features that benefit everyone including myself. Slashing the headphone jack and micro SD is not the answer, nor adding gimmicky features to lure people in. The V30 is a useful phone with useful and high tech features, at a fair price.

Edit: If you're concerned about the LG bootloop issue, you should also be concerned with Samsung's exploding battery issue which people easily forgave like nothing. Battery made in China/Vietnam bc cheap labor therefore sometimes bad quality.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Those were quite biased impressions. You should get the V30 for sure because you're clearly not going to give the other phones their credit and you're ignoring the V30's faults.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Those were quite biased impressions.

I've owned the Galaxy S1 all the way to the Galaxy S7, briefly used the S8+. Samsung stopped being innovative after the S6, instead focused on making premium feeling phones. Before that, it was all HTC (HTC MyTouch 3g, HTC Aria, HTC Inspire 4G). HTC fell off a long time ago, had identity issues. They were the FIRST manufacture to have Android, lost the opportunity. Can't say I didn't try other brands. BTW the V20 is my very first LG phone ever.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I've owned the Galaxy S1 all the way to the Galaxy S7. Before that, it was all HTC. Can't say I didn't try other brands.

Maybe, but many of your complaints about those phones aren't accurate and you seem to have rose-tinted glasses on for the V30. I know this is the V30 forum and all, but be honest about it and the other phones.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Maybe, but many of your complaints about those phones aren't accurate and you seem to have rose-tinted glasses on for the V30. I know this is the V30 forum and all, but be honest about it and the other phones.

Just speculating and comparing the specs alone, and from my experiences. No headphone jack and micro SD? Doesn't take a monkey to figure that one out. Not going to spend $850 and not have either one.

Eggmundo

Trusted Member
Sep 25, 2016
Visit site
Yeah you're ignoring many great things about some of these phones e.g. the speed, camera and audio of the U11.

In any case there's a good chance the LG will be my next phone. I just hope the software and UI doesn't suck... never had an LG before.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Just speculating and comparing the specs alone, and from my experiences. No headphone jack and micro SD? Doesn't take a monkey to figure that one out. Not going to spend $850 and not have either one.

For example, the V30 has probably the worst front-facing camera image quality of that entire list of phones according to the video conparisons I have seen on Youtube. The V30 has its fair share of faults.

Last edited:

FutureMech

Feb 21, 2016
Visit site
V30 and Note 8 won't have great battery life at all, if you light user or medium than maybe, i would expect all high-end phone to beat the Mate 9 at least in battery life, nope, won't happen.

V30 front camera is a big insult, that one of the reason for me to not buy this phone, mine Mate 9 has a great front shooter, V30 rear camera quality isn't always that better than S8, not even in low light, other than that the phone seems good.

Note 8 is a great phone, but i'm unsure how battery will hold and it's way too expensive for what it's offer, secondary camera isn't great at all.

Essential phone is the worst phone i seen this year, there is NOTHING good with it, plus it gets very slow when you load more than couple of apps, as one of youtube testers showed, avoid this phone like the plague.

We will see the Mi Mix 2 this week, Note 3 and Mate 10 next month, then we can all decide which is the best phone, however there is no best phone, each of us has different uses, as for me , no phone can rival the Mate 9.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah you're ignoring many great things about some of these phones e.g. the speed, camera and audio of the U11.

In any case there's a good chance the LG will be my next phone. I just hope the software and UI doesn't suck... never had an LG before.

The U11 is without a doubt a nice phone, however two thing bug me. Lack of a traditional jack and lack of ful carrier capability. They also aren't doing so well as we can see by the latest talk of Google possibly acquiring them. Not sure how that will pan out.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
V30 and Note 8 won't have great battery life at all, if you light user or medium than maybe, i would expect all high-end phone to beat the Mate 9 at least in battery life, nope, won't happen.

V30 front camera is a big insult, that one of the reason for me to not buy this phone, mine Mate 9 has a great front shooter, V30 rear camera quality isn't always that better than S8, not even in low light, other than that the phone seems good.

Note 8 is a great phone, but i'm unsure how battery will hold and it's way too expensive for what it's offer, secondary camera isn't great at all.

Essential phone is the worst phone i seen this year, there is NOTHING good with it, plus it gets very slow when you load more than couple of apps, as one of youtube testers showed, avoid this phone like the plague.

We will see the Mi Mix 2 this week, Note 3 and Mate 10 next month, then we can all decide which is the best phone, however there is no best phone, each of us has different uses, as for me , no phone can rival the Mate 9.

The thing is we are all wired differently. What you feel is important I may dismiss. Using the front camera as an example... I find all front cameras adequate so there is no phone that has such a bad front camera that it pushes me away.
As for the rear camera, I'm very happy with rear camera results on the V20 and the V30 looks to be improved. What really pins me down to the V30 is the audio and some of the camera features.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have owned all the phones you listed there this year plus few more (G6, Xperia XZ premium, iPhone 7 plus). Essential is the most disssapointing since it was rushed to the market and software was very buggy. Z2 force is the next in line which didn't impress me followed by G6 which didn't impress me.

U11, S8, S8+, Note 8, OP5, Pixel XL, Xperia XZ premium, iPhone were all top class phones which are awesome in their own way and you wouldn't go wrong with any of them based on individual preference. They all have advantages and disadvantages and I wouldn't mind carrying or recommending any of them. I'm sure V30 will be in the second category based on what I have seen from first impression videos. V30 will be a great phone for sure but the others are also great in their own way. They all have their plus and minus, you can choose based on what you like. Personally I'll get V30 once it's released since I get all the phones, but few things which I don't like about V30 based on first impression videos and past LG experience.

1. Front facing potato camera (same as G6)
2. Software is still not the best looking and IMO feels like they just want to imitate Samsung stuff.
3. Completely ignore regular security updates on US unlocked model even though they aren't tied to any carrier model. Samsung was doing the same but they rectified with S8 US unlocked model and assume same with Note 8 (will know soon). LG still hasn't corrected this for their US unlocked model.

At the same time V30 has many great unique features which are pros. We can go on for every phone and list pros/cons. But it definitely looks like V30 will be a top contender.

Best phone is always individual opinion, for example for me the best phone is always the latest Pixel and latest iPhone because they provide the smoothest software experience on any phone with regular updates plus no carrier influence. But that's my personal taste and doesn't mean other phones are bad. I'm in most forums and everywhere there are people swearing that phone is the best, it might well be for them.

TLDR - Best phone is subjective

Last edited:

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
For example, the V30 has probably the worst front-facing camera image quality of that entire list of phones according to the video conparisons I have seen on Youtube. The V30 has its fair share of faults.
Even I too agree with this. LG needs to go back to the 8mp camera they used on the G4. But that's the only fault I can find with the V30.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site

I agree that the battery life won't beat out the Mate 9 and I love that Huawei is serious about endurance.
I think you're jumping the gun about the camera performance however. Nobody has full production units yet and no fair assessments can be made yet. Let's wait until we get full reviews first and then we can judge. But by all means the performance will be close either way so having the "best" camera doesn't mean as much as it used to these days. It's all just for bragging rights and fun discussion.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Though it's only 5MP it's ultra wide. I can take a picture of myself including the vast scenery behind me. I've taken epic selfies with the V20. If you want an HD selfie, turn the phone around, not hard to figure that out.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Even I too agree with this. LG needs to go back to the 8mp camera they used on the G4. But that's the only fault I can find with the V30.

If I had to choose between a 8MP regular front camera vs 5MP ultra wide, I'd choose the ultra wide. I like to take selfies of myself with groups of friends, the V series is king in terms of front ultra wide selfies.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

If I had to choose between a 8MP regular front camera vs 5MP ultra wide, I'd choose the ultra wide. I like to take selfies of myself with groups of friends, the V series is king in terms of front ultra wide selfies.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I agree that the battery life won't beat out the Mate 9 and I love that Huawei is serious about endurance.
I think you're jumping the gun about the camera performance however. Nobody has full production units yet and no fair assessments can be made yet. Let's wait until we get full reviews first and then we can judge. But by all means the performance will be close either way so having the "best" camera doesn't mean as much as it used to these days. It's all just for bragging rights and fun discussion.

LG has one of the best software, and better hardware. Look at the Huawei Nexus 6P forums, 2 years later everyone's complaining about issues. Died too soon.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Though it's only 5MP it's ultra wide. I can take a picture of myself including the vast scenery behind me. I've taken epic selfies with the V20. If you want an HD selfie, turn the phone around, not hard to figure that out.

What does it matter if it is "wide angle" if the image quality is poor? Yes, all your friends would be in it, but they won't look very good. Yes, as you said, you could just turn the phone around, but other phones don't require that. You seem to be overly critical of other phones and then glossing over the issues with the V30.

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
LG has one of the best software, and better hardware. Look at the Huawei Nexus 6P forums, 2 years later everyone's complaining about issues. Died too soon.

LG's software is great? Their skins are usually the worst looking of all phone manufacturers and then there is the boot loop issue and other software related problems they've had in the past.

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I think most people appreciate quality over getting more people in the frame though. I like that Samsung has that rotating front selfie trick where you can fit more people in the shot. LG really does have weak ffc performance 75% of the time but I don't mind it all that much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith