POLL: Is USB C audio better than the Quad DAC?

Should future phone manufacturers keep the 3.5mm jack?

• Total voters

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Everyone is saying USB C audio is the future and slashing headphone jacks. I don't see the logic in it. It's like taking out USB ports in a computer and changing it to something else because it's better and it's "the future". Does it actually sound better? What is the real benefit? How do you get around charging while listening at the same time? And the hassle of carrying the dongle around "just in case". Why not include the USB C audio technology and leave the 3.5mm port still there? Do you agree or disagree? I can't wait to hear the improvements of the V30's Quad DAC!

Courage-No-headphone-jacks-on-the-Pixel-2-and-Pixel-XL-2-new-rumor-says.jpg

VS.

v30-dac.jpg

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
If a USB-C adapter is connected to a DAC internally, the adapter itself is irrelevant. It simply moves the audio jack to the outside. One should not sound better or worse as long as the adapter itself has no quality issues or introduces noise.

This is no different than running an external DAC versus internal. If the DAC hardware was exactly identical, being inside the phone or outside wouldn't matter. An Audioquest Dragonfly would be a good example here since it's one of the smallest available.

Regarding phones with or without 3.5mm jacks, I have an external DAC/amp to drive my headphones when it counts. Internal DACs are handy but rarely match that of a good external DAC/amp combo with tons of capacitors, op-amps, and your choice of DAC chipset — especially if you prefer a Wolfson or Burr-Brown over any others. This also means the DAC/amp goes with any phone or computer and doesn't force you into one device.

dkediger

Nov 27, 2015
Visit site
If a USB-C adapter is connected to a DAC internally, the adapter itself is irrelevant. It simply moves the audio jack to the outside. One should not sound better or worse as long as the adapter itself has no quality issues or introduces noise.

Pretty much this. USB-C is a mechanical connector for wires that transport signal and is not related or required for the presence of a DAC. The DAC affects the signal that is transported through the wires/connectors.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

This is no different than running an external DAC versus internal. If the DAC hardware was exactly identical, being inside the phone or outside wouldn't matter. An Audioquest Dragonfly would be a good example here since it's one of the smallest available.

Regarding phones with or without 3.5mm jacks, I have an external DAC/amp to drive my headphones when it counts. Internal DACs are handy but rarely match that of a good external DAC/amp combo with tons of capacitors, op-amps, and your choice of DAC chipset — especially if you prefer a Wolfson or Burr-Brown over any others. This also means the DAC/amp goes with any phone or computer and doesn't force you into one device.

External DAC's are cute but who wants to carry one around... That wouldn't work for me. The dedicated Quad DAC in the LG competes with a lot of the external ones quite nicely. Agreed external DAC's don't confine fine you to one device but I don't have a problem with limitations at this point. Also, don't need one for the laptop... The Harmon Kardon setup does quite nicely.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Pretty much this. USB-C is a mechanical connector for wires that transport signal and is not related or required for the presence of a DAC. The DAC affects the signal that is transported through the wires/connectors.

USB audio not convenient. Don't need or want to carry an adaptor to use my headphones. If that works for you great.

anon(9602380)

Jan 7, 2016
Visit site
Mod note. Trolling - Do not post inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages to provoke users into responding in a negative way. Calling another member a troll is also a form of trolling.

Let's please keep on topic. Thank you!

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The OP question doesn't make sense.

It's not USB C vs Quad DAC - it's USB C with x or y DAC vs 3.5 mm jack with x or y DAC. There's no reason that USB C cannot use a Quad DAC, no reason at all. USB C audio supports 100% of the functionality of the 3.5 mm jack and then adds other functionality.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Additionally, dongles are not the future. That's a band-aid while adoption catches up. Headphone manufacturers are shifting to wireless or to USB C for wired. The 3.5 mm jack is dying, it's already obsolete, it's just still in common use, similar to DVD's and VHS before DVD, etc. The choice is never dongle or not dongle, that's only necessary in the very specific circumstances, concerning legacy headphones, and that's a very specific set of circumstances that will continue to become less and less common. We have to keep in mind that there are already at least 150 million people who have moved on. And that's with over 90% of those folks moving on in just the past year.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
The OP question doesn't make sense.

It's not USB C vs Quad DAC - it's USB C with x or y DAC vs 3.5 mm jack with x or y DAC. There's no reason that USB C cannot use a Quad DAC, no reason at all. USB C audio supports 100% of the functionality of the 3.5 mm jack and then adds other functionality.

Precisely....

For the record... Right now the main advantage having the dedicated headphone jack is being able to utilize it for the external antenna for the FM radio, and charging while you are listening.

Music is so very subjective.. Each of us hear differently, and sometimes more than the other guys.

A dedicated external amp as mentioned will give the audiophile the best sound over anything put in any phone... That said for those who just listen either solution works perfectly fine with the nod going again to the headphone jack because of availability of better cans and buds.

I've really enjoyed my u11 sound and most people who own the phone will agree.. It really is that good..

X vs Y comparisons aren't always easy, especially when it comes to music.. and mainly come to personal preferences

Personally I fully believe it's a conspiracy getting rid of the headphone jack.. That way they can make them cheaper, and control what you are able to listen to.. They can't do this as long as they have a FM chipset in it..

Mac

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Precisely....

For the record... Right now the main advantage having the dedicated headphone jack is being able to utilize it for the external antenna for the FM radio, and charging while you are listening.

Music is so very subjective.. Each of us hear differently, and sometimes more than the other guys.

A dedicated external amp as mentioned will give the audiophile the best sound over anything put in any phone... That said for those who just listen either solution works perfectly fine with the nod going again to the headphone jack because of availability of better cans and buds.

I've really enjoyed my u11 sound and most people who own the phone will agree.. It really is that good..

X vs Y comparisons aren't always easy, especially when it comes to music.. and mainly come to personal preferences

Personally I fully believe it's a conspiracy getting rid of the headphone jack.. That way they can make them cheaper, and control what you are able to listen to.. They can't do this as long as they have a FM chipset in it..

Mac

I think you mean an external DAC/amp... Correct?

I think in some cases they eliminate the jack to make a thinner phone. If than need to do that I think a better option is to make subminature jack and supply an adaptor so at least you can listen and charge your phone at the same time.
Verizon just disables the FM radio on most phones anyway so I'm not sure if that is part of the conspiracy.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Supposedly the trend towards USB-C is being pushed by Intel, although I personally believe it's more due to internal real estate than anything. FM is a dying format since listeners are bound by proximity, reception and forced to listen to what a DJ thinks is best. Streaming services and locally stored audio files both sound better and provide more flexibility. And, most of the arguably good FM stations stream their broadcasts online, which can sound better than the actual FM service anyway.

Eliminating a headphone jack without an alternative means of charging while simultaneously listening to music is where things get sticky. So far it seems like most manufacturers have an alternative in place via wireless charging or another port. Even streaming in the car can be done via USB or Bluetooth, both of which can use the USB-C port for charging.

But, I digress. There really is no easy solution here. Keeping everyone happy is impossible.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
With greater adoption, you'll start seeing cable solutions available to charge, plug in headphones, a monitor/vr goggles, etc, all through that single port.

The 3.5 jack is now a redundant, obsolete tech that's on its way out, like it or not. We're just at the start of its demise.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is saying USB C audio is the future and slashing headphone jacks. I don't see the logic in it. It's like taking out USB ports in a computer and changing it to something else because it's better and it's "the future". Does it actually sound better? What is the real benefit? How do you get around charging while listening at the same time? And the hassle of carrying the dongle around "just in case". Why not include the USB C audio technology and leave the 3.5mm port still there? Do you agree or disagree? I can't wait to hear the improvements of the V30's Quad DAC!

View attachment 268022

VS.

View attachment 268023

No, that ess dac is tops.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
With greater adoption, you'll start seeing cable solutions available to charge, plug in headphones, a monitor/vr goggles, etc, all through that single port.

The 3.5 jack is now a redundant, obsolete tech that's on its way out, like it or not. We're just at the start of its demise.

Question is what do the wired headphones manufacturers do?
USB connectors keep changing so what format do they adopt.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
Adapters will always solve that. 1/8" and 1/4" TRS will be around forever since that's what's still used on dedicated audio equipment. Earbuds and "enthusiast" grade equipment are likely the only things you'll see dedicated to USB-C. True IEMs and on-ear headphones will stay with TRS/TRRS or balanced jacks for stage/recording equipment. USB-C won't change the audio world but will change the phone world.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
They'll go with USB Type C since it's the only "universal" standard and it's the only way to correctly do audio over USB.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
They'll go with USB Type C since it's the only "universal" standard and it's the only way to correctly do audio over USB.

That's my point though.... Androids are on the 3rd type of connector. Is USB C future proof?
I think I know the answer.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
That's my point though.... Androids are on the 3rd type of connector. Is USB C future proof?
I think I know the answer.
What was the first? C is more future proof than anything prior because it has industry buy-in. Will it last forever? Gosh, I hope not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon