09-18-2017 09:13 PM
    the LG V30 is the winner in my honest opinion.
    09-19-2017 06:23 PM
    By features it is the winner, but I expect main camera quality to be worse than on the Note 8. Well, I still prefer the V30 overall.
    09-20-2017 06:31 AM
    By features it is the winner, but I expect main camera quality to be worse than on the Note 8. Well, I still prefer the V30 overall.
    Honestly all of these top tier phones will get the job done.
    shaimere likes this.
    09-20-2017 11:34 AM
    Note 8 is using same camera from Galaxy S7. They use photo enhancing software to trick you the color looks good and sharp (can easily be mimicked with photo enhancing software). The V30 will kill it with low-light with the first ever 1.6 aperture. They are also using REAL glass on the lens which will make the photos more clear and allows more light to come in. And don't forget the 12MP vs 16MP difference. Take a picture of a street sign from a distance and try zooming in to the image. You'll see the loss in detail. The average consumer wont notice the difference, but I do especially when taking landscape photos of birds in the distance and tree leaves. The 13MP wide angle will put the gimmicky monochrome 2nd camera to shame.
    09-24-2017 12:18 PM
    Note 8 is using same camera from Galaxy S7. They use photo enhancing software to trick you the color looks good and sharp (can easily be mimicked with photo enhancing software). The V30 will kill it with low-light with the first ever 1.6 aperture. They are also using REAL glass on the lens which will make the photos more clear and allows more light to come in. And don't forget the 12MP vs 16MP difference. Take a picture of a street sign from a distance and try zooming in to the image. You'll see the loss in detail. The average consumer wont notice the difference, but I do especially when taking landscape photos of birds in the distance and tree leaves. The 13MP wide angle will put the gimmicky monochrome 2nd camera to shame.
    I'm sorry, but the V30 isn't 'killing' anything.
    JohnMcL7 likes this.
    09-24-2017 01:44 PM
    To me the main cameras are for the most part equal. What I like is that the V30 will keep the wide angle lens with some improvement. (Although a bite norrower than the V20). I have used the wide angle camera a lot on my V20.

Lateck,
    09-24-2017 02:01 PM
    I know you favor LG but get the facts straight.

Most obvious thing is the Note 8 doesn't have a monochrome sensor. Doesn't use the same sensor as the S7, and it has a larger sensor with larger pixels which matters more for grabbing light than the aperture.
    09-24-2017 02:34 PM
    Is it odd I want LGs software and features on Samsung's hardware?
    09-24-2017 02:45 PM
    Is it odd I want LGs software and features on Samsung's hardware?
    Which features?
    09-24-2017 02:57 PM
    I'm sorry, but the V30 isn't 'killing' anything.
    It's killing me
    09-24-2017 04:05 PM
    It's killing me
    Not to have it in your hands already? I get that...
    😉
    09-24-2017 04:35 PM
    Not to have it in your hands already? I get that...
    😉
    Just like to see what it can do. I'm probably going to pass on it for the Pixel 2 XL and buy it later if it drops.
    09-24-2017 05:44 PM
    Just like to see what it can do. I'm probably going to pass on it for the Pixel 2 XL and buy it later if it drops.
    Best of both worlds. An LG phone running stock.
    09-24-2017 06:00 PM
    The V30 doesn't gain an advantage from the F1.6 aperture because they've chosen to use a smaller sensor than the Note 8 and others, it's been a weakness on previous LG phones and will likely be the same again.

Your resolution example only applies again if you're comparing like for like which is not the case here, resolution and image quality aren't intrinsically linked so having 4MP of pixels is meaningless if the sensor itself is poorer quality.
    09-24-2017 07:18 PM
    The V30 doesn't gain an advantage from the F1.6 aperture because they've chosen to use a smaller sensor than the Note 8 and others, it's been a weakness on previous LG phones and will likely be the same again.

Your resolution example only applies again if you're comparing like for like which is not the case here, resolution and image quality aren't intrinsically linked so having 4MP of pixels is meaningless if the sensor itself is poorer quality.
    It gains an advantage from what they were using in prior models. Whether it beats or comes close to competitive models remains to be seen.
    09-24-2017 07:21 PM
    Software post processing is what that separates the camera between most of the flagship phones now. Every phone's camera out there is basically "tricking" the user with software, it's just who tricks better.
    09-25-2017 02:15 AM
    It gains an advantage from what they were using in prior models. Whether it beats or comes close to competitive models remains to be seen.

It doesn't really matter about it having an advantage over previous models or not and the post I replied to claimed the F1.6 will 'kill it' in low light which unfortunately is not the case when LG have opted to stay with smaller sensors. It's important to understand that you can't take specifications like that in isolation, my DSLR at F6.3 absolutely kills my compact at F1.8 because even with several stops less light through the lens, its sensor has more stops advantage in high iso performance.
    benjamminh likes this.
    09-29-2017 10:08 AM
    The more and more I have used LG, I've noticed that the wide view kills the competition. I have the V20, and when you can stand only a few feet from a subject versus many feet away, you really start to notice the value of it.
    ffejjj and irvine752 like this.
    10-01-2017 08:53 PM
    The more and more I have used LG, I've noticed that the wide view kills the competition. I have the V20, and when you can stand only a few feet from a subject versus many feet away, you really start to notice the value of it.
    That's a very good point. It's going to be even better quality on the V30 since the V30's wide angle camera produces less distortion in the corners.
    10-02-2017 12:00 AM