LG V30 Price - £799

CTalman

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
I was just browsing through carphonewarehouse website here in the UK and spotted this....

Clicked on the link and there's no page there to go to.....

Attachments

• 3780.jpg
    3780.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 15

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
£799 is interesting, I was guessing for the US it'd be $799. Anyone remember if there was a difference in MSRP for UK and US for the V20 or G6?

JohnMcL7

Mar 24, 2017
Visit site
£799 is interesting, I was guessing for the US it'd be $799. Anyone remember if there was a difference in MSRP for UK and US for the V20 or G6?

The V20 was never sold in the UK (or Europe), from what I can see the LG G6 was $700 in the states and £650 in the UK. Certainly in the UK, £650 for the G6 was way too much against the superior specced S8 at £680.

£799 is a lot more than I was expecting for the V30 and with it being CPW, the price won't be coming down either.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Too expensive.
LG phones drop in price fast. The price is literally not an issue unless you can't wait and have to have the phone immediately.
Why is is too expensive and what's a good price for you?
Every flagship is too expensive, but their marketing has the majority of people convinced that those prices are fair as if they're really trying to give us a deal rather than make the most profit.

$800 isn't terrible, though. $850 the Pixel 2 XL is, but $800 for the V30 isn't as bad. I would say a good starts at $750. Using OP5 as a reference, no phone really has a fair price if comparing them on paper. $300 bucks extra for slim bezels?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
LG phones drop in price fast. The price is literally not an issue unless you can't wait and have to have the phone immediately. Every flagship is too expensive, but their marketing has the majority of people convinced that those prices are fair as if they're really trying to give us a deal rather than make the most profit.

$800 isn't terrible, though. $850 the Pixel 2 XL is, but $800 for the V30 isn't as bad. I would say a good starts at $750. Using OP5 as a reference, no phone really has a fair price if comparing them on paper. $300 bucks extra for slim bezels?

I personally can't compare prices with uncarrier brands because I cant use uncarrier brands. Even the phones that are the most compatible lose features on Verizon. I do agree that most top tier phones are too expensive.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I personally can't compare prices with uncarrier brands because I cant use uncarrier brands. Even the phones that are the most compatible lose features on Verizon. I do agree that most top tier phones are too expensive.
You can compare non-carrier brands, you just can't buy them. OP5 is showing the world that you can have a great phone with top specs at an affordable price. Meanwhile, every other OEM is dangling shinies in front of our eyes to distract from that and convincing us to feel good about paying more for essentially the same product.

We're literally paying extra money for the brand and nothing else. Brand is always why one product is priced more than another and not necessarily does it have anything to do with quality.

Take medication for example. Brand name medicine costs more than unbranded medicine and it literally is the same exact product. Yet people trust the name brand more and will choose to spend more money for their pills to be branded.

These prices are all about branding and these companies spend money in marketing to convince consumers that their brand is worth more than the next guy's.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
LG phones drop in price fast. The price is literally not an issue unless you can't wait and have to have the phone immediately. Every flagship is too expensive, but their marketing has the majority of people convinced that those prices are fair as if they're really trying to give us a deal rather than make the most profit.

OP5 is a bad reference. It's a midranger at slightly above midranger prices that people consistently try to compare to flagships because it has a couple of spec sheet items in common. The OP5 should be compared to the Moto Z Play or Moto G series or Axon 7, etc.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
OP5 is a bad reference. It's a midranger at slightly above midranger prices that people consistently try to compare to flagships because it has a couple of spec sheet items in common. The OP5 should be compared to the Moto Z Play or Moto G series or Axon 7, etc.
The only thing midrange about the OP5 is the price. These higher priced phones have you suckered.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
You can compare non-carrier brands, you just can't buy them. OP5 is showing the world that you can have a great phone with top specs at an affordable price. Meanwhile, every other OEM is dangling shinies in front of our eyes to distract from that and convincing us to feel good about paying more for essentially the same product.

We're literally paying extra money for the brand and nothing else. Brand is always why one product is priced more than another and not necessarily does it have anything to do with quality.

Take medication for example. Brand name medicine costs more than unbranded medicine and it literally is the same exact product. Yet people trust the name brand more and will choose to spend more money for their pills to be branded.

These prices are all about branding and these companies spend money in marketing to convince consumers that their brand is worth more than the next guy's.
The Note 8 vs the OP5.

Samsung has a night and day better display, far better camera, the s-pen, better network support (by far), better design, etc. The OP5 on the other hand offers nothing superior other than the quantity of RAM, which it apparently doesn't make full use of.

The Pixel line offers better display, far better camera, better software, better security, better support, better design, better network support, etc, etc. Well worth the extra $150 imo.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
The only thing midrange about the OP5 is the price. These higher priced phones have you suckered.
Yeah, you said that, but it's false. Every real flagship is a much better device than the OnePlus 5. This is true for the U11, S8, Note 8, G6, V30, both 2016 and 2017 Pixels, 2016 and 2017 Moto Z line, both 2016 and 2017 iPhones, S7, V20, etc. Each one can be demonstrated to outclass the OP5 almost across the board. They'll all lose at quantity of RAM but that's about it. They're all a better design, most except LG and Moto have much better displays, almost all have better cameras, many have much better battery life, several have much better audio, all have much better network support, all have better software, most have better software support, the iPhones and Pixels have much better security, etc, etc. Are they $200-$400 better? That's up to each buyer but sales numbers say yes.

The OP5 is weaker than it should be on software, security, camera, display and especially network support. It is however perfectly in line with it's kin, the Axon 7, Moto Z Play, etc. They're all mid-range devices at mid-range process with a gimmick or two to try to punch over their weight class.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

I guess you miss my point when I say can't compare. That's on a personal level for me. There is no point to me comparing brands I can't or won't buy. Buy what you want and enjoy what you buy.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Yeah, you said that, but it's false. Every real flagship is a much better device than the OnePlus 5. This is true for the U11, S8, Note 8, G6, V30, both 2016 and 2017 Pixels, 2016 and 2017 Moto Z line, both 2016 and 2017 iPhones, S7, V20, etc. Each one can be demonstrated to outclass the OP5 almost across the board. They'll all lose at quantity of RAM but that's about it. They're all a better design, most except LG and Moto have much better displays, almost all have better cameras, many have much better battery life, several have much better audio, all have much better network support, all have better software, most have better software support, the iPhones and Pixels have much better security, etc, etc. Are they $200-$400 better? That's up to each buyer but sales numbers say yes.

The OP5 is weaker than it should be on software, security, camera, display and especially network support. It is however perfectly in line with it's kin, the Axon 7, Moto Z Play, etc. They're all mid-range devices at mid-range process with a gimmick or two to try to punch over their weight class.

Network support alone is the killer for most of these cheaper phones for most people... At least in the US.