08-22-2018 10:05 PM
94 1234
tools
    Where did you get yours? Verizon, att, etc?
    I got my V30 from the Corp AT&T store.
    10-11-2017 11:18 AM
    Just wanted to post this here about my experience with the v30.

I bought my v30 on at&t's website tuesday night and had it delivered yesterday (thursday). As I was setting up the device (several hours into playing with it) I noticed at lower brightness settings, like 30 and below, there seemed to be some color banding on a white or light color background. It was about 2/3 the way down the screen and there were several lines that were a different brightness than the rest of the background. As I was checking this out, I noticed a dead pixel right around the same area. I downloaded several apps to help look for more (couldn't find any) and maybe fix it (didn't work). So I started a chat on att.com and was instructed to ship the phone back with the included shipping label in the box. The agent I spoke to assured me twice that I will not face this issue again, so we will see when I get the replacement V30.

Other than that I absolutely loved the phone, it felt great in the hand, was extremely fast, and the quad dac sounded really good. I have an assortment of iem's so I tested my 50 ohm pinnacle p1's and actually had to turn the volume down. All in all very impressed and can't wait to get my replacement, hopefully they overnight it to me like the first one
    10-13-2017 03:02 PM
    What are the chances the pixel display will be better? Since they're the same panel, is it even possible for Google to improve it? Desperately need to know here as my experience with the v30 is being severely tainted by this display. I want even solid colors!
    10-16-2017 11:05 AM
    this display is just down right the best display lg has ever put into a phone.. it's beautiful and amazing
    10-16-2017 11:30 AM
    What are the chances the pixel display will be better? Since they're the same panel, is it even possible for Google to improve it? Desperately need to know here as my experience with the v30 is being severely tainted by this display. I want even solid colors!
    I stopped by a Verizon store a bit ago and they had the Pixel 2 and XL 2 on display. On the XL 2 there was *slight, slight, slight* vertical banding along the right side of the screen at 20% brightness and lower on a gray screen. And this was visible under bright lights in the store. I did not see any weird horizontal banding, clouding, or dirty screen that I had on my LG V30. So the XL 2 that I saw was much much better than the three V30s I've seen in person, for what that's worth. Just wanted to share.

The Pixel 2 screen was perfect in comparison, no banding whatsoever.
    10-16-2017 01:18 PM
    I stopped by a Verizon store a bit ago and they had the Pixel 2 and XL 2 on display. On the XL 2 there was *slight, slight, slight* vertical banding along the right side of the screen at 20% brightness and lower on a gray screen. And this was visible under bright lights in the store. I did not see any weird horizontal banding, clouding, or dirty screen that I had on my LG V30. So the XL 2 that I saw was much much better than the three V30s I've seen in person, for what that's worth. Just wanted to share.

No Gods likes this.
    10-16-2017 01:18 PM

Thank you. I didn't know any were on display yet. I'll have to stop by my store and see if they have it so I can compare. I've got a few days left on my return window and I'm struggling with whether or not to keep it. It's so great in every way, but the splotchy display in low brightness is killing me. I already exchanged it once because my first one had a horizontal band across the display that was visible in even higher brightness. This one has no bands but is very splotchy.

Aside from that, I can return this one that was exchanged once already can't I? Also, if I decided I wanted the pixel could I exchange this and preorder it even thought it was exchanged once since it was for the same phone?
    10-16-2017 01:33 PM
    Thank you. I didn't know any were on display yet. I'll have to stop by my store and see if they have it so I can compare. I've got a few days left on my return window and I'm struggling with whether or not to keep it. It's so great in every way, but the splotchy display in low brightness is killing me. I already exchanged it once because my first one had a horizontal band across the display that was visible in even higher brightness. This one has no bands but is very splotchy.

Aside from that, I can return this one that was exchanged once already can't I? Also, if I decided I wanted the pixel could I exchange this and preorder it even thought it was exchanged once since it was for the same phone?
    Not all VZ stores have them on display. They are hot phones, they were being handled and played with non-stop when I was there one person after another. Good to see people excited. Last year with the Pixel mine had a dead pixel and I was told I was allowed 1 exchange. Not sure if this varies by store (it was a corporate VZ store). I would ask to speak with a manager if you go in and try to exchange for the Pixel, it's a legit issue. Just put your phone next to a Samsung and show him/her, those splotches will be visible plain as day! Fyi...not a Samsung shill...just pointing it out since side by side these LG issues are obvious for those who want to show store employees and avoid restocking fees.
    10-16-2017 02:26 PM
    The Verge has a review and they are not happy with the screen at all.

I am hoping that there is a pattern we can find to help determine which devices will be more likely to have quality screens.
    10-16-2017 04:31 PM
    Even though I was hesitant before I purchased the phone, in everyday use I don't notice the display issues. Granted, I don't really have hotspots. But I do have some unevenness and banding. And I do notice a couple horizontal bands, in particular. But does that make me hate the phone? No. That's why the review on The Verge is preference, at best. The reviewer literally states that the bad display makes the phone unusable, which is a very liberal stretch of reality.
    10-16-2017 05:07 PM
    Even though I was hesitant before I purchased the phone, in everyday use I don't notice the display issues. Granted, I don't really have hotspots. But I do have some unevenness and banding. And I do notice a couple horizontal bands, in particular. But does that make me hate the phone? No. That's why the review on The Verge is preference, at best. The reviewer literally states that the bad display makes the phone unusable, which is a very liberal stretch of reality.
    You are your own best reviewer. Always trust your own judgement and experience is how I live.
    10-16-2017 07:21 PM
    You are your own best reviewer. Always trust your own judgement and experience is how I live.
    ^^^totally^^^
    10-16-2017 07:22 PM
    I purchased mine via the Verizon website - arrived 10/10. Can't see any banding or discoloring using a grey screen at differing brightness. However, I have one dead pixel in the lower 1/3 of the screen, dead center. Would you return for that? (I'm not even sure they would exchange for only 1 dead pixel). The other thing that concerns me is would I get a screen with the banding issue...

Thoughts?
    10-16-2017 08:05 PM
    I purchased mine via the Verizon website - arrived 10/10. Can't see any banding or discoloring using a grey screen at differing brightness. However, I have one dead pixel in the lower 1/3 of the screen, dead center. Would you return for that? (I'm not even sure they would exchange for only 1 dead pixel). The other thing that concerns me is would I get a screen with the banding issue...

Thoughts?
    10-16-2017 08:05 PM

Thoughts?
    I'm seeing your post in doubles on my v30
    10-16-2017 08:18 PM

Thoughts?
    I would absolutely return for a dead pixel
    MA2GA28 likes this.
    10-16-2017 08:34 PM
    Is anyone having the same issue as the verge where the screen is grainy when brightness is turned down?
    10-16-2017 08:49 PM
    I know -- every time I've posted...it puts 2 in...I have no idea why, but I can't seem to delete one of them
    10-16-2017 09:32 PM
    I'm seeing your post in doubles on my v30
    Same on my g6.. Android central has been having trouble with the app. They're working on fixes now
    10-16-2017 10:03 PM
    it's definitely an issue for me. I received mine yesterday and it feels unusable. In low light settings you can see that one side is darker than the other. There's also a weird line going down the middle. It looks like there are squares on the screen that are uneven in color brightness.

Keep in mind this is only noticable inside when the screen brightness is low.

Gonna take it back to TMobile today.
    10-17-2017 06:19 AM
    I just got mine last night. I haven't noticed anything bad about the display. I haven't gone looking either. My old phone was the Galaxy S7 Edge, and I don't notice any extreme difference. I think it's one of three things.

1) the Verge got a bad handset
    2) The reviewer is just exaggerating to make the point that the display isn't quite as good ad Samsung
    3) somebody got paid.
    10-17-2017 08:42 AM
    I just got mine last night. I haven't noticed anything bad about the display. I haven't gone looking either. My old phone was the Galaxy S7 Edge, and I don't notice any extreme difference. I think it's one of three things.

1) the Verge got a bad handset
    2) The reviewer is just exaggerating to make the point that the display isn't quite as good ad Samsung
    3) somebody got paid.
    There are varying degrees of how bad each handset is. The one I have is a bit splotchy, and does have some banding that is noticeable in certain situations, but not nearly as bad as I've seen in other handsets.

However, the reviewer is definitely exaggerating the issue, probably for click bait, since most other reviews praise the V30 up and down and his disagreement will distinguish his review from others. He's simply taking an issue that has some forum traction and blowing it out of proportion.
    10-17-2017 09:17 AM

Thoughts?
    For the price we are paying for the phone I would definitely exchange it for a new one, even if it is only one pixel that's bad.
    10-17-2017 09:37 AM
    I heard about this issue on the pre production models. When I went to the store and checked out the V30 the only thing I noticed was the screen looked better than my IPhone 6. Colors were more vibrant and the screen just looked better. I M very happy with the screen and have no issues with it all.
    10-17-2017 09:57 AM
    I heard about this issue on the pre production models. When I went to the store and checked out the V30 the only thing I noticed was the screen looked better than my IPhone 6. Colors were more vibrant and the screen just looked better. I M very happy with the screen and have no issues with it all.
    I saw the same versus my iPhone 7+ at an AT&T store. Looked good! But hoping it's not something that would show over time. I run my phone hard all day and would hate for the screen to go to crap a few months in.
    10-17-2017 06:06 PM
94 1234