08-22-2018 10:05 PM
94 ... 234
tools
    No problems with my V30 screen. I compared it to my girlfriend's S8+. I think my V30 screen is better.
    10-18-2017 02:32 PM
    The display on my V30 is beautiful. Even at 30% brightness there is no banding or graininess. Was the Verge review of production model or pre-production?
    10-18-2017 05:27 PM
    I have one horizontal band that is about 75% down the screen. It is only visible at 25% and lower brightness, and not at all during the day. I don't have any color inconsistencies that I've noticed. Also, using a black theme I found on the Play Store called Pixel Black made it less annoying.

That being said, it's still aggravating.

Other than the that, the phone is pretty much perfect in my opinion...which makes the screen that much more annoying.
    10-18-2017 05:36 PM
    No problems with my V30 screen. I compared it to my girlfriend's S8+. I think my V30 screen is better.
    This is just to boost your ego knowing your girlfriend has the much better display lol.
    10-18-2017 10:41 PM
    I just received my T-Mobile V30 today (a day early yay!) and so far the screen has shown no signs of banding or any of the color inconsistency. I am really amazed how dim the screen will get! Off-angle viewing does show a slight bluishness, but nothing that I can not live with. So far I am very impressed,
    10-18-2017 11:15 PM
    I've been scouring three forums (here, xda, and reddit) and my anecdotal, non-scientific observations are that folks seem to be happier with the screens this week. Either folks have gone in with low expectations due to forum posts prior to buying and are happy, or the panels are generally getting better (it's also possible that the early early adopters were pickier, and the horrible panels were not as common as thought).
    erwaso likes this.
    10-19-2017 06:50 AM
    I've been scouring three forums (here, xda, and reddit) and my anecdotal, non-scientific observations are that folks seem to be happier with the screens this week. Either folks have gone in with low expectations due to forum posts prior to buying and are happy, or the panels are generally getting better (it's also possible that the early early adopters were pickier, and the horrible panels were not as common as thought).
    I think your final thought is correct. The true phone geeks grabbed the phone early and discovered the flaw. People buying recently have been less critical (as they aren't necessarily looking for flaws) and think that it's a good cell phone.
    10-19-2017 07:49 AM
    Have been looking real hard at the V30, combing through first impression reviews based on pre-production units.

Here's an article by Ron Amadeo about the V30 OLED display having uneven color, weird horizontal banding and uneven light levels (with hot spots) when the screen is set on low brightness in a dark room:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017...uality-issues/

Pre-production unit I know but... I'm a little surprised more people aren't raising this or at least mentioning it.

Photo Credit: Ron Amadeo (from the article)
    Just dont use it in low setting maybe?
    10-19-2017 10:54 AM
    it's real good
    10-19-2017 11:00 AM
    I'm a former Galaxy S7 Edge user and I don't have a single gripe about the screen on the V30. I'm sure there are handsets with issues, but why do people seem to have such a hard understanding that there are plenty of handsets without problems. My screen is fine, and the phone is excellent.
    md308 likes this.
    10-19-2017 01:46 PM
    Does anyone see the way the display turns blue ish when you tilt it? just a bit off axis and it changes considerably. one reviewer mentioned it but I'm not hearing it from anyone else.
    10-19-2017 05:41 PM
    Does anyone see the way the display turns blue ish when you tilt it? just a bit off axis and it changes considerably. one reviewer mentioned it but I'm not hearing it from anyone else.
    Yes it's known and talked about even with the Pixel 2 XL
    10-19-2017 06:11 PM
    does the Samsung 8 do that? I heard the pixel does it alot worse. Is this something we live with? other than that I really like this phone
    10-19-2017 07:57 PM
    Lol i've come to the same conclusion from the same 3 sites. Just waiting on the price drop now lol
    10-20-2017 10:23 AM
    Lol i've come to the same conclusion from the same 3 sites. Just waiting on the price drop now lol
    Me too for the price drop. Just released in Canada today and for the corp plan price they want $489CDN on a 2 year contract. Was hoping it would be about $200 less. Going to keep looking come Nov early Dec it should be much cheaper.
    10-20-2017 03:24 PM
    Tested new V30 for banding issues and dead pixels with display tester and screen test (im very picky with my screen). Pleased to report no issues what so ever......tested in pitch black bathroom ...screen brightness from 1% to 50%. Spent almost 30 min...lol.....i know im crazy..lol. For $800+ I expect a perfect phone. Screen is georgeous.....couldn't be happier. Posted homescreen pic in homescreen thread. For the record purchased at At&t corperate store. Black model......Manufactor date 10/17. They had no display set up for v30 and the store......crazy.
    10-21-2017 10:26 PM
    Tested new V30 for banding issues and dead pixels with display tester and screen test (im very picky with my screen). Pleased to report no issues what so ever......tested in pitch black bathroom ...screen brightness from 1% to 50%. Spent almost 30 min...lol.....i know im crazy..lol. For $800+ I expect a perfect phone. Screen is georgeous.....couldn't be happier. Posted homescreen pic in homescreen thread. For the record purchased at At&t corperate store. Black model......Manufactor date 10/17. They had no display set up for v30 and the store......crazy.
    Can you try this app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=com.oledtools

With 15% brightness?

Here is what it looks like on mine :
    Quality Issues with the V30's OLED Display?-img_20171128_195557.jpg

The build date is 26 Oct 2017.

Thanks,

Dan
    11-28-2017 07:26 PM
    You're obviously a Samsung fanboy. The display is not "much better" on the S8 at all. I've compared them side by side and the only difference I can notice is the S8 is slightly more over saturated and a bit brighter.
    08-20-2018 12:44 AM
    I quite enjoy the screen on the V30. The only issue I run into is whenever I unlock my screen or my phone hasn't been unlocked for long periods of time, on my always on display, there is like a flash and weird almost line in the screen.
    08-22-2018 10:05 PM
94 ... 234