Played with an LG v30 today

sjgoten6

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
And I was listening to music and trying the quad dac and comparing it with the note 8 and I couldn't tell too much difference. I did notice that the volume on the v30 stopped at 75% so that alone made me prefer the note 8. Any way to change that? I looked all throughout the settings.

NougatDude

Dec 6, 2016
Visit site
And I was listening to music and trying the quad dac and comparing it with the note 8 and I couldn't tell too much difference. I did notice that the volume on the v30 stopped at 75% so that alone made me prefer the note 8. Any way to change that? I looked all throughout the settings.

Where are you? it's not out in the US so can't tell you.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
If you can't tell the difference then somethings wrong......the 75 is not a percentage. It's Max volume. Make sure you enable HiFi sound and use decent headphones

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I can't tell the difference on the V20 either. I bet most people can't. Just like not everyone can tell (or care about) the difference between 1080p and 1440p. Just because one is better on paper, doesn't mean you have an eye or ear for it.

With that said, there are plenty other defining features about these phones and not just certain features they like to shove in your face with their marketing.

sjgoten6

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I was using some Sony headsets we had in the store. They both sounded great but with volume set at 75 max it didn't have the punchier sounds as having it at 100 felt.

sjgoten6

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Also hi-fi dac was enabled and she even walked through it. I just nodded in agreement that it sounds awesome (and it wasn't bad honestly just didn't notice anything different) I didn't want to make her mad by saying the others loudness won me over

sjgoten6

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Also to get more clarification on the source of music, I was playing Sound of Silence by disturbed streaming from Google Play Music. So I don't know of it had to be a special coded song for me to bear a difference

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I can't tell the difference on the V20 either. I bet most people can't. Just like not everyone can tell (or care about) the difference between 1080p and 1440p. Just because one is better on paper, doesn't mean you have an eye or ear for it.

With that said, there are plenty other defining features about these phones and not just certain features they like to shove in your face with their marketing.

I don't usually make bets I can't win and I don't speak for other people. What I do know is there's a big difference even to the untrained ear and it's also highly measurable in signal to noise ratio, range and amplitude. The only time the difference is less discernable is with low impendance or cheap head phones which don't fully activate the amp and don't have the proper dynamic range.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I was using some Sony headsets we had in the store. They both sounded great but with volume set at 75 max it didn't have the punchier sounds as having it at 100 felt.

The 75 is full volume. The Sony headset was probably low impendance which doesn't trigger the full gain of the Quad DAC. Though I disagree with that method of implementation it is done not to overdrive low impendance high sensitivity headphones. If the Amp was fully activated, you ears would hurt at 75.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Also to get more clarification on the source of music, I was playing Sound of Silence by disturbed streaming from Google Play Music. So I don't know of it had to be a special coded song for me to bear a difference

Streaming music from Google play is mostly lower bit rate and not as appreciable as a high definition or lossless file.

mister2d

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
He's clearly not the target audience if he's loading up Google Play music to evaluate the V30.

If you're serious then you come strapped with a USB stick with some 24-bit music and a USB to go cable.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
I don't usually make bets I can't win and I don't speak for other people. What I do know is there's a big difference even to the untrained ear and it's also highly measurable in signal to noise ratio, range and amplitude. The only time the difference is less discernable is with low impendance or cheap head phones which don't fully activate the amp and don't have the proper dynamic range.

I assumed the headphones LG gave me were ones that would take advantage of it since they brag so hard about the DAC.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
He's clearly not the target audience if he's loading up Google Play music to evaluate the V30.

If you're serious then you come strapped with a USB stick with some 24-bit music and a USB to go cable.

Without a doubt and to the point. Having said I have streamed some decent music as long as the bit rate is decent. Nothing beats hi-res files with decent headphones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I assumed the headphones LG gave me were ones that would take advantage of it since they brag so hard about the DAC.

The B&O headphones aren't bad by themselves, however they are low impendance and don't trigger full output. Impendance by itself is actually kind of a silly way to decide which headphones kick in high gain, since low sensitivity headphones are what need the extra juice. These days high impendance and low sensitivity are sometimes mutually exclusive. As for the B&O headphones, I find them on the clean side when it comes to sound. Many people prefer a headphones that crank out bass to the point that I call it muddy. It helps with the B&O and many headphones to allow some burn in time to get peak performance.

mister2d

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Without a doubt and to the point. Having said I have streamed some decent music as long as the bit rate is decent. Nothing beats hi-res files with decent headphones.

Indeed. Bit rate is the thing to look at. I use Tidal hifi exclusively so that I can at least stream uncompressed music. It sounds fantastic. Doesn't count against my Tmo cap either.

MQA music from Tidal also sounds great on my V20, but I have to be on my home's wifi to be able to do this.

sunriseshell

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The 75 is just an arbitrary number, it could be 1000 or that one could go to 11. Full volume on one phone will likely be different than full volume on another.
As far as the quad DAC, it's my understanding to really be able to hear the difference you need high impedance headphones and a lossless file format (flac, wav). Compressed audio and standard headphones should sound more or less the same on most devices.

sjgoten6

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
So the beats we sell in store is not a high impedance right? Also where does one buy music that is lossless? Has to be ripped from CD?