Who thinks the V30 ISN'T good or is just meh?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
My question is WHY? I see all the praise for the Pixel 2, Note 8, iFone X... the V30 knocks them all out. Packing so many premium and useful features in a phone, and honestly IMO the best looking phone out of all of them. Do you want LESS features and use the same rehashed phone as last year, is that better? Don't really get it. What does LG have to do to make it better... remove headphone jack, re-use last year's camera, color it red, put a Google or Apple logo over it?

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
Honestly it is not even that, it is just lost in the shuffle. Samsung pays for the marketing and Apple has their brand recognition most of the general public are not aware of the v30. Also LG has this terrible release cycle idea to launch a phone at IFA and then release it 2 months later. They did this last year with the V20 and missed all of the potential Note 7 owners because even by the 2nd recall the V20 was not out yet. and they do it again this year biggest competition is the Note 8 so what do they do? release a month later. all of those customers lost. You would think they would be advertising the phone like hey 10/5 V30 be ready. No..... So even if you want the phone like i do it was not until last week we learned when release would be for sure. I dont understand the reasoning here for LG. You know your the underdog to Samsung so do everything you can to garner attention and i am not saying tv ads but instagram facebook forums.....but they dropped the ball again and the V30 is an amazing phone but no body is going to buy it unfortunately. because people know iphone and galaxy.

Sorry for the rant.....but in my opinion LG's best plan of attack in the age of the $1k smartphone is go lower price i dont mean budget but the same phone at $650 or $700 USD now your $300 cheaper than these other devices with so much more value.

Guyinbox

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the v30 is meh but since LG ditched the removable battery and ir blaster they took away the only reasons I've been buying their phones.

Now I'm between just keeping my v20 or switching to the note 8 or pixel 2xl since they'd both be cheaper than the v30 with their respective promo offers. Either one would be about $625 vs $800 for the v30 unless they announce some other trade in promo.

My brother has the note 8 and it's actually really solid and the screen and camera are ridiculous. The pixel will obviously be the fastest Android phone and receive 3 major os upgrades which is enticing. Just not sure i can lose the ir, battery AND micro sd all at once but unlimited photo backup would help.

The wide angle camera never mattered to me (I'd rather have a solid main camera which the v20 lacks for my use) and the dac was one of those nice to have features that i never really took advantage of so I'm having a hard time even considering the v30 despite how solid the v20 has been.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I agree with you, OP. The V30 is an amazing, premium device that seems to have gotten a little eclipsed by Apple and Samsung. Unfortunately, that's how the cookie's been crumbling over the past few years/iterations.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence. I want the better cameras and the waterproofing. But my V20 now dies right before it hits 10% charge on the original battery. The spare battery lasts longer but if my phone was sealed then what??

DamianP

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm on the fence. I want the better cameras and the waterproofing. But my V20 now dies right before it hits 10% charge on the original battery. The spare battery lasts longer but if my phone was sealed then what??

Aren't they offering a 2 year warranty? If the battery becomes an issue it should be covered.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
LG just blew this up all over by delaying it's launch. The folks that are ready to pay $800+ for this device very well have other options they can choose from.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
To be honest, I think all of the new phones are meh.

Sealing up the phone takes away the removable battery. This kills it for me.

The added weight and bulk of a external battery pack sucks.

Sure the v30 will be a really good phone to most people who own one, but there are a lot of great phones now... and having a option of buying a phone with a removable battery is no longer available.

What else will LG in their infinite stupidity will give up to try to copy Samsung or Apple just to fail miserable?

The people in charge there refuse to fire those who market the phones. They don't have a clue on how to advertise their products. They won't spend their money like Samsung or Apple does and they won't ever make a dent in market share until they do.

Mac

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Not sure I'm ready to give this up just yet
ca22577c1efe5dc68d60e0082e564566.jpg

Bl00dRunzC0ld

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
LG also does stupid things like make one color available for T-Mobile customers, or make the V30+ Sprint exclusive. I want a V30 that works fully with T-Mobile but in that blue color, not same old black/silver like every other damn phone.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't think the v30 is meh but since LG ditched the removable battery and ir blaster they took away the only reasons I've been buying their phones.

Now I'm between just keeping my v20 or switching to the note 8 or pixel 2xl since they'd both be cheaper than the v30 with their respective promo offers. Either one would be about $625 vs $800 for the v30 unless they announce some other trade in promo.

My brother has the note 8 and it's actually really solid and the screen and camera are ridiculous. The pixel will obviously be the fastest Android phone and receive 3 major os upgrades which is enticing. Just not sure i can lose the ir, battery AND micro sd all at once but unlimited photo backup would help.

The wide angle camera never mattered to me (I'd rather have a solid main camera which the v20 lacks for my use) and the dac was one of those nice to have features that i never really took advantage of so I'm having a hard time even considering the v30 despite how solid the v20 has been.
I had to check the name on the post to make sure it wasn't I who said it. The ir blaster was the only reason I went with V20. Now that Android has dumped it I have no reason not to go with an iPhone. I don't care about camera "features". I just like a good snapshot. I hate the new ratio and as I understand it LG has no feature to crop streaming Netflix so a 16/9 image is letterboxed?

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
My question is WHY? I see all the praise for the Pixel 2, Note 8, iFone X... the V30 knocks them all out. Packing so many premium and useful features in a phone, and honestly IMO the best looking phone out of all of them. Do you want LESS features and use the same rehashed phone as last year, is that better? Don't really get it. What does LG have to do to make it better... remove headphone jack, re-use last year's camera, color it red, put a Google or Apple logo over it?
Just point the finger at LG. You know ow these popular well covered devices are coming. You decide to announce the best phone you've made right during that time. The media and fans alike love it and then you tell everyone to hold tight for a while as the competition is already selling their devices. It's just a terrible strategy. And one LG seems to be sticking with. They need to at least market the heck out of the V30 during the start of two of the most popular sports in the US. Football and the NBA. If not mostly fans will buy it and not too many others will get to experience how great a device LG has made.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
And I don't see the logic behind this post
A non removable battery cannot be replaced when they go bad. My V20 just died at 8%. The other battery dies at 14%. If I got the V30 I'd have to get it warranty replaced to resolve.

What's your question?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
A non removable battery cannot be replaced when they go bad. My V20 just died at 8%. The other battery dies at 14%. If I got the V30 I'd have to get it warranty replaced to resolve.

What's your question?

I didn't ask a question. A battery, sealed or otherwise can absolutely be replaced. Non-sealed would be much easier of course.

I think it's nice to see LG stand behind their products and extend the warranty from 1 to 2 years. I took advantage of the same offer on my daughter's G6. After the G4 (I had 3 of them) it's a way too try and instil faith back into their phones.

So far the G6 has been great for her and I'm hoping the V30 takes another step in the right direction

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
I had a V10 now a V20 and I got my girlfriend a G6. So I do believe in LG and their products and I like what they are doing.

But I don't like the idea of replacing the battery in an IP68 rated water resistant phone. And if history is any indicator, my high usage makes my batteries go bad. So I would end up having to replace the phone under warranty. And that is not something that I should have to factor into my purchase..expecting to get it replaced under warranty.

jdfry15

Trusted Member
Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

What's your question?

But at this point what is the other option? Samsung went away with it what two years ago. Pretty much every manufacturer has done away with the removable batter, lg was the last it seems. It is what it is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781