Initial Reactions

NationalTrust

Sep 20, 2017
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, so my only color option was silver. I would have rather had more choices, but it still looks great. I love the build quality, and it's the perfect size for me. (I'm coming from a Motorola Turbo II.) Still charging and downloading apps. I'll post more as I explore more.

By the way, there wasn't even a display model out when I arrived about 20 minutes after they opened.

shaimere

Sep 14, 2016
Visit site
I'm on Verizon, so my only color option was silver. I would have rather had more choices, but it still looks great. I love the build quality, and it's the perfect size for me. (I'm coming from a Motorola Turbo II.) Still charging and downloading apps. I'll post more as I explore more.

By the way, there wasn't even a display model out when I arrived about 20 minutes after they opened.
Enjoy your device. Keep us updated with cool features you notice and battery life.

billykac

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site

Looking forward to your first impressions.

dropnbassonu

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine. Walked out to my back patio where it's full sun and could easily see the screen. It's excellent. I'm comparing against a Note 3 though. V30 is much better

jascospeed

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Did you have the mandatory Verizon branding on the back ? And did it have on startup the Verizon splash screen ? How bad was the carrier bloat ?? can anyone yet confirm if T-Mo will have any branding ?

I really wanted unlocked but no way to know when they'll be available.

Mike328

Mar 21, 2016
Visit site
how is the screen does it look virbant or is it washed out like the pixel two appears to be ( in videos) also does the pics seem to be really soft I noticed when I had a g6 the pics seem to be way to soft for me and I couldn't deal with any more

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I went to my Verizon store, and they thankfully had a display model (though it was unmarked, as they said they didn't get the new display inventory in until late last night. It took over a spot previously occupied by the Pixel (which actually wasn't on display at all).

Anyway, screen was vibrant and looked nice. I was surprised just how thin and light the phone was, so definitely OK with putting a case on it to bulk it up. Seemed snappy, and the demo model didn't have much bloat that I could see. It did have Verizon branding on the back though.

I tried to test out the screen hotspot issue, but the store was too bright. Went to a mostly black screen, but didn't notice hotspots. When I get the phone, that'll be one thing I test repeatedly in the first 14 days.

Take this for what it's worth, but the store's asst manager told me that the silver-only selection is apparently just for a few weeks, as they are at least getting black by the end of the month. She wasn't sure about blue though.

anon(5506951)

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
Just got mine. Walked out to my back patio where it's full sun and could easily see the screen. It's excellent. I'm comparing against a Note 3 though. V30 is much better

Is your phone at full brightness when outside, or do you have it set at a percentage you're comfortable with? I ask because I'm eventually going to replace my Nexus 6P with the Pixel 2XL, and since the latter is made by LG and takes design cues from the G6 and V30, and my 6P screen's visibility outdoors is utter crap, great visibility is important to me.

dropnbassonu

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I plugged in my Sennheiser HD25's to check out the DAC, and WOW! It's my first experience with such a thing. Yes, the ultimate limit is 75. I find it odd they use a scale of 75 instead of 100, as I think people may get confused about that. In either case, my ears couldn't handle 75. I could feel my brain shaking as I approached 65. 75 is just absurd. I can't imagine a scenario I would ever need to go above 60 tbh.

dropnbassonu

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I had it set to automatically adjust for ambient levels. It cranked it up when outside to 100%. Plenty bright enough to easily see the screen

iamloco724

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
I plugged in my Sennheiser HD25's to check out the DAC, and WOW! It's my first experience with such a thing. Yes, the ultimate limit is 75. I find it odd they use a scale of 75 instead of 100, as I think people may get confused about that. In either case, my ears couldn't handle 75. I could feel my brain shaking as I approached 65. 75 is just absurd. I can't imagine a scenario I would ever need to go above 60 tbh.

Is this with any eq settings changed in an app or any of their audio settings applied or is it all on flat with no changes?

SchinkenSpicker

Jul 31, 2017
Visit site
Can someone please try the screen in low light conditions and with very low brightness? Please try it with a full grey and a full black screen. In that scenario the hotspot issue should become visible, if it exists.

iamloco724

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Can someone please try the screen in low light conditions and with very low brightness? Please try it with a full grey and a full black screen. In that scenario the hotspot issue should become visible, if it exists.

Yeah I am curious about this too. My current phone I only have set at 28 percent so I would like to see if low brightness setting is an issue on this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
armeniomanuel