First impressions... pretty much the same as V20 and G6

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I currently own a V20. I went into two different T-Mobile stores. They both didn't have it on display and they had to bring it out from the backroom to show it. Sales guys didn't really know anything about it nor seem to care.

My first impression: gorgeous looking device, a lot better looking than the Note 8 or S8 Plus (or even iPhone 8's recycled design). It's also very light weight compared to the V20, slightly narrower and shorter (not super narrow like the S8 Plus). I'm very glad the curves were done right, not too curvy nor affecting usage. The back looks kinda weird though, glass looks a little warped.

Camera: I honestly didn't see any immediate difference with the camera quality and speed (compared to the V20) with the exception of the 13MP camera which looks awesome, the wide angle distortion is gone and quality is very good. I haven't gotten to really test it out as I was in the store playing with it for a minute, I think it does focus a little faster and has a better bokeh effect when taking pictures of objects close up.

Display: I also didn't see much difference with the V20's display and the V30's AMOLED screen, looks very similar. I'm sure it would look better in dim light since it's AMOLED. I think the P-AMOLED helped make the phone lighter since it's plastic and not glass.

If you already have the V20/G6, then maybe it's better to hold off till a price drop or wait for the G7/V40. Otherwise, I still think it's a MUCH better choice than the Pixel 2 and Note 8 personally, price wise and feature wise. If you have the extra cash this holiday season and willing to splurge, I'd say do it! Think I'm gonna wait a bit longer, at least until a very good tempered glass screen protector is released and see if there are any reports of issues (there's already reports of glass scratching easily, not surprised with Gorilla Glass 5).

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Wait your giving this impression from a store display experience.. not finding that the most reliable source for an impression is rather hear it from someone that bought the phone

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
I say V20 is better because of removal battery.
I would say so as well but it was more of a convenience than an actual need. I barely needed to have a backup battery and the only I did invest in was 6400 mAh which was really great and not super bulky like some of the other options like the ridiculous but practical ZeroLemon ones.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You should, you know, buy and use the phone before giving your input from fiddling with it for 20 minutes in a store.

Also, where are the glass scratching reports? I have yet to see any here or on Reddit.

krazyatom

Trusted Member
Jan 4, 2015
Visit site
I would say so as well but it was more of a convenience than an actual need. I barely needed to have a backup battery and the only I did invest in was 6400 mAh which was really great and not super bulky like some of the other options like the ridiculous but practical ZeroLemon ones.

May I ask which extended battery you got?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I currently own a V20. I went into two different T-Mobile stores. They both didn't have it on display and they had to bring it out from the backroom to show it. Sales guys didn't really know anything about it nor seem to care.

My first impression: gorgeous looking device, a lot better looking than the Note 8 or S8 Plus (or even iPhone 8's recycled design). It's also very light weight compared to the V20, slightly narrower and shorter (not super narrow like the S8 Plus). I'm very glad the curves were done right, not too curvy nor affecting usage. The back looks kinda weird though, glass looks a little warped.

Camera: I honestly didn't see any immediate difference with the camera quality and speed (compared to the V20) with the exception of the 13MP camera which looks awesome, the wide angle distortion is gone and quality is very good. I haven't gotten to really test it out as I was in the store playing with it for a minute, I think it does focus a little faster and has a better bokeh effect when taking pictures of objects close up.

Display: I also didn't see much difference with the V20's display and the V30's AMOLED screen, looks very similar. I'm sure it would look better in dim light since it's AMOLED. I think the P-AMOLED helped make the phone lighter since it's plastic and not glass.

If you already have the V20/G6, then maybe it's better to hold off till a price drop or wait for the G7/V40. Otherwise, I still think it's a MUCH better choice than the Pixel 2 and Note 8 personally, price wise and feature wise. If you have the extra cash this holiday season and willing to splurge, I'd say do it! Think I'm gonna wait a bit longer, at least until a very good tempered glass screen protector is released and see if there are any reports of issues (there's already reports of glass scratching easily, not surprised with Gorilla Glass 5).

Doesn't sound like you're giving it a fair chance at proving itself. I'll bet if it had a removable battery and an IR blaster you would be all over it.

md308

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
My impressions after a couple days: Build and looks are great as you say. I think the N8 looks great too, but just too tall for me. Back is a fingerprint magnet, but it had a case on as soon as the SIM was in. Size and weight for a screen this size is just unreal.

Camera: Between work and bad weather, haven't taken but 1 pic so far. As for quality, I was extremely pleased with the V20 camera, from what I have seen the G6 improved on that somewhat, and I expect the same incremental improvements with the V30. Face it, unless you are coming from a low-end phone, all the flagships have cameras on par now, with their own unique strengths in certain areas. If you are waiting for one that is going to blow all others out of the water, get comfortable...

Display: Blows the V20 away. I was able to tweak the color on the V20 to where it didn't bother me "too much", but I'm biased towards LED. Comparing the same pics on my V20 - V30, color, clarity, and of course depth of black is miles ahead. No banding or hot spots either, but maybe I'm just lucky there.

Agree on price drop if that's your priority, but I like having the latest and greatest. As for comparison to the V20, other than my preference for LED over LCD, the biggest difference is in size and form factor. Using and carrying the V20 feels like a brick now in comparison, and this is from a guy who isn't afraid of big phones (had a Nexus 6 before the V20). The features and screen size they have put into a package this small and light just amazes me. Was also worried I would miss the second screen, but I actually prefer the Always On now for when off. The floating bar is not quite as good, but acceptable and not a deal breaker for me.

So far, loving it.

Kendahl Titcomb

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
That's not correct it's just marketing. Both Samsung and LG use P-OLED displays, but Samsung chooses to market theirs as AMOLED (Active Matrix OLED Display), which is what LG uses as well, but they identify by a different marketing language probably due to trademarks etc...

Inside the LG V30's new display - POLED vs Samsung's Super AMOLED - Android Authority

Actually Samsung uses Amoled and LG is using POLED these are very different in one perspective. Samsung's phones use a glad substrate for the screen where as LG is using plastic hence the P. It's similar in color reproduction but comes very far apart in is overall size and weight also hence why the Samsung phones tend to be a bit heavier

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Actually Samsung uses Amoled and LG is using POLED these are very different in one perspective. Samsung's phones use a glad substrate for the screen where as LG is using plastic hence the P. It's similar in color reproduction but comes very far apart in is overall size and weight also hence why the Samsung phones tend to be a bit heavier
You should read the article...

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

loling at the more features thing. Value, maybe, all in, no way.

Also if you can't tell the difference between the v20 and v30 camera, isn't that really bad news for the v30?

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Wait your giving this impression from a store display experience.. not finding that the most reliable source for an impression is rather hear it from someone that bought the phone

I said in the title first impression. And I did mentioned that I played with it for a minute or two. Coming from a V20 owner and not judging the phone for it's non removable battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith