Hello,

I'm switching from windows phone and have been looking at the LG V30 and the S8.
    Right now I'm leaning towards the V30. I'm on T-Mobile and really like the idea of the 600 MHz radio. Would like to ask a few questions if you don't mind.

How do you like the V30 so far? What would you suggest for a good SMS app?
    Has anyone used the Microsoft launcher and what do you think?
    What do you think of MS office on this OS? I use office a lot I'm wondering if it is pretty much the same?
    What do you use for a music player?
    What is a good podcast player?

Also do you use Cortana on the V30? How is it and can I make it the default assistant?

Thanks

Dave
    10-12-2017 09:13 AM
    Well on T-Mobile the V30 isn't officially available until Friday the 13th so give it a little time.
    10-12-2017 11:30 AM
    I am an Windows Phone user that was forced to switch. It was a hard decision to make but needed to be done since Microsoft is clueless.

I have had the V30 since launch, overall I am very happy with it. It is nice to not have to compromise features or apps, something you always had to do with WP. I am using the Microsoft Launcher, it works GREAT! I am very pleased with it. It is very refined and polished something I feel Android lacks. The Cards are a natural transition from being use to live tiles. Arrow Hub is cool, allows you to transfer files easily from phone to PC.

I have only used Outlook so far, really good for email. Better or just as good as the WP version. OneDrive is good and for the most part with my brief time using the phone the rest of the Office Suite is slightly better in performance. Microsoft put more effort into building for Android and iOS then WP and it shows.

SMS app, I have only used the default, its fine, I am not looking for anything fancy when it comes to that.

Music player, smh Groove is gone so I am wondering in the desert with this. I will probably switch to Spotify and Amazon Music. Groove on Android is identical to the WP version for what that is worth now.

I am still looking for a podcast player, any recommendations would be welcome.

Cortana, oh how I love thee. She is my default assistant which I LOVE that Android lets you do this. I have the same experience using her then on WP, if not better. I have not used Android Assistant, so I can not tell you if it is better.

Don't fret to much, its a great phone and with the help of some Microsoft services you will not be disappointed.
    dfaris likes this.
    10-12-2017 01:50 PM
    I am an Windows Phone user that was forced to switch. It was a hard decision to make but needed to be done since Microsoft is clueless.

I have had the V30 since launch, overall I am very happy with it. It is nice to not have to compromise features or apps, something you always had to do with WP. I am using the Microsoft Launcher, it works GREAT! I am very pleased with it. It is very refined and polished something I feel Android lacks. The Cards are a natural transition from being use to live tiles. Arrow Hub is cool, allows you to transfer files easily from phone to PC.

I have only used Outlook so far, really good for email. Better or just as good as the WP version. OneDrive is good and for the most part with my brief time using the phone the rest of the Office Suite is slightly better in performance. Microsoft put more effort into building for Android and iOS then WP and it shows.

SMS app, I have only used the default, its fine, I am not looking for anything fancy when it comes to that.

Music player, smh Groove is gone so I am wondering in the desert with this. I will probably switch to Spotify and Amazon Music. Groove on Android is identical to the WP version for what that is worth now.

I am still looking for a podcast player, any recommendations would be welcome.

Cortana, oh how I love thee. She is my default assistant which I LOVE that Android lets you do this. I have the same experience using her then on WP, if not better. I have not used Android Assistant, so I can not tell you if it is better.

Don't fret to much, its a great phone and with the help of some Microsoft services you will not be disappointed.
    For podcasts I like either of these apps.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ly.pocketcasts
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ggcatcher.v1_0
    10-12-2017 01:57 PM
    Kidboom,

That is good to hear. Thank you for that input. Good to hear Cortana works well as does the MS office apps. I plan on using MS launcher also. I hope this is an easy transition.

Laura Knotek,

Thank for the podcast apps I will check them out for sure.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-12-2017 02:06 PM
    Cortana on android is NOT as integrated as it is on WP. I know on my wife's WP when in the car over Bluetooth Cortana will cut in over any input the radio is on and tell you that you have a new SMS Text message, and then give you options to read it out, reply to it, or ignore it.
    You don't have to touch your phone or look at your screen at all.
    Its very well done, and nothing on Android is as good as that.

Cortana doesnt do that on my Android phone.

There is one Android app called "SMS, my Car and me" which comes close to replicating this, but its not as good as Cortana on WP.
    rasputin01 likes this.
    10-12-2017 03:03 PM
    Johnny,
    Thanks for that info about Cortana reading over bluetooth. That will not be an issue for me as I turn that feature off on my 950 because I dont want my texts being read on the car speakers LOL.

I just use the basic features of Cortana for making appointments, reminders, searching and news alerts.
    10-12-2017 04:05 PM
    Cortana on android is NOT as integrated as it is on WP. I know on my wife's WP when in the car over Bluetooth Cortana will cut in over any input the radio is on and tell you that you have a new SMS Text message, and then give you options to read it out, reply to it, or ignore it.
    You don't have to touch your phone or look at your screen at all.
    Its very well done, and nothing on Android is as good as that.

Cortana doesnt do that on my Android phone.

There is one Android app called "SMS, my Car and me" which comes close to replicating this, but its not as good as Cortana on WP.
    Haha I actually hated that feature, really bugged me when you had group messages or photos.
    10-12-2017 04:13 PM