Netflix HDR and YouTube HDR don't work on the V30 !!

jackinit

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Anyone been able to get YouTube or Netflix to play HDR video?? My Note 8 plays them no problem. My T-Mobile V30 does not show the option.

Skyway

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried it out on Netflix and watched Chef's Table, which is HDR, and I didn't see anything that indicated there was or wasn't HDR enabled. No icons or options or anything, so I don't think it was working

jackinit

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Just Google LG V30 HDR. Every article about YouTube and Netflix HDR being enabled "confirmed" the Note 8 and V30. What happened??? Note 8 yes, V30 nope.

ChumsFuture

Oct 14, 2016
Visit site
Have you tried Vudu? Their smart tv app has a library of Dolby Vision movies. If they play on the V30 I'd likely buy the phone.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Anyone been able to get YouTube or Netflix to play HDR video?? My Note 8 plays them no problem. My T-Mobile V30 does not show the option.

If you're watching YouTube content you should be able to switch to HDR through the quality settings on the App. As a test just search for "HDR" on the YouTube app, with the first couple of results you should be able to switch from 480p HDR, 720p HDR, 1080p HDR & 1440p HDR.

It's not so apparent with Netflix. If you were using the TV App (2017/2016 LG OLED panels) you would get a notification on the right top corner to tell you the mode (HDR or Dolby Vision). On the phone App you have to go to settings & make sure the streaming quality is set to the highest quality. You can then surf through the content, anything streaming in HDR will be tagged with the "HDR" label next to the series' seasons. You won't be getting a notification once you start streaming that the content is in HDR, but the quality should be able to speak for itself. I have tried these HDR titles all in random order "Girl Boss" , "The Punisher", "The OA". Just search for "HDR" that should help you filter out the HDR content. I also have the "4 screens - Ultra HD" plan.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
When I go to the Netflix app settings, I don't see the option to change streaming quality.

The wording could be better. If you go to Settings under Video Playback set the data usage to max. The App self adjusts given the amount of bandwidth present at that moment in time & it also takes into consideration your cap limit for data in the settings. If you have the bandwitdh for HDR with no data limit set, any content you stream or download will be in HDR (for the titles in HDR).

LZSchneider

Oct 27, 2017
Visit site
Yeah I can confirm that Netflix plays in HDR when available. Thanks Irvine!

...but YouTube, though, I believe it's up to YouTube to enable the option for our devices right?

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Yeah I can confirm that Netflix plays in HDR when available. Thanks Irvine!

...but YouTube, though, I believe it's up to YouTube to enable the option for our devices right?

It's already enabled for YouTube. The App can detect whether device can handle the HDR content or not. If not, you get downgraded to regular HD content. The next time you're playing HDR content on the App take a quick look at your quality settings. You should be able to spot out the HDR tag next to the resolutions. Unfortunately, most of the content on YouTube is not in HDR.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908