Another Former V20 user on the V30

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Sort of mixed this in another person's thread, so in case anyone wants another opinion on making the upgrade, here is mine:

Having switched from the V20 to the V30...as logical as it is, lol..I'll describe the improvements as incremental.

Surprisingly I haven't missed the feature I thought would bother me most, the removable battery. I'm def what you would consider a power user and I'm getting great life with the V30. Plus with fast charging, throwing it on a charger for 20 min gives you a surprising amount of charge. This should only get better with Android O.

The camera....this is tough for me, because I don't use the wide angle at all. The regular I would say is better, but how much, I'm not sure. Took some pics at an NHL game a few days ago, and no blur during action shots. They aren't Sports Illustrated quality shots but are useable.

The music part is a nice improvement. The quad dac is amazing and the audio/video recording capabilities are really good. Took some video and audio only at a rather loud Third Eye Blind concert and was quite pleased.

The overall speed is definitely faster running the web or programs on the V30.

So that's my take right now. I wouldn't consider this a "must have" upgrade if one is loving the V20, but it's good. Had I been a more patient user who doesn't always need the latest and greatest, going from the V20 to the V40 probably would've been a lot more noticeable and made more sense, but with the $200 visa card and free Google VR stuff, to me was worth it... but I'll say just barely. The actual feature I saw that I really wanted was in a review video, the audio playing from YouTube was not only coming from the bottom firing speaker but also the earpiece speaker. Alas, was not included and no one seems to know why.

Final verdict...I'm ok with the upgrade enough that I won't go back to the V20, but it just barely made the cut for me. NOT blown away by it, but enjoy it enough to keep it.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Sort of mixed this in another person's thread, so in case anyone wants another opinion on making the upgrade, here is mine:

Having switched from the V20 to the V30...as logical as it is, lol..I'll describe the improvements as incremental.

Surprisingly I haven't missed the feature I thought would bother me most, the removable battery. I'm def what you would consider a power user and I'm getting great life with the V30. Plus with fast charging, throwing it on a charger for 20 min gives you a surprising amount of charge. This should only get better with Android O.

The camera....this is tough for me, because I don't use the wide angle at all. The regular I would say is better, but how much, I'm not sure. Took some pics at an NHL game a few days ago, and no blur during action shots. They aren't Sports Illustrated quality shots but are useable.

The music part is a nice improvement. The quad dac is amazing and the audio/video recording capabilities are really good. Took some video and audio only at a rather loud Third Eye Blind concert and was quite pleased.

The overall speed is definitely faster running the web or programs on the V30.

So that's my take right now. I wouldn't consider this a "must have" upgrade if one is loving the V20, but it's good. Had I been a more patient user who doesn't always need the latest and greatest, going from the V20 to the V40 probably would've been a lot more noticeable and made more sense, but with the $200 visa card and free Google VR stuff, to me was worth it... but I'll say just barely. The actual feature I saw that I really wanted was in a review video, the audio playing from YouTube was not only coming from the bottom firing speaker but also the earpiece speaker. Alas, was not included and no one seems to know why.

Final verdict...I'm ok with the upgrade enough that I won't go back to the V20, but it just barely made the cut for me. NOT blown away by it, but enjoy it enough to keep it.
What mode did you have the camera in during the concert and how loud was it where you were standing? The earpiece mic over 120dB feature is one of the reasons I'm thinking about switching. In auto mode with loud bass it usually has bad distortion and cracks and pops. The only way around that with decent results is manual mode with settings about where I have them in the picture.
71a2c38af4ea945494ebeb05e89b224b.jpg

RaRa85

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
Please update this thread with all your photo and video samples please. I would love to see them.

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Not a great pic, like I said, but I mentioned it because every player on the ice was in motion and it managed to capture it with little to no blur. I was in the pressbox, about half way up the arena, center ice

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
1008172058a.jpg

This was about 15ish rows deep at the show. Auto setting. Not bad. When I tried to get a close shot from that distance is where the camera failed pretty badly. Example to follow

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
1008172100.jpg

This was auto mode (I think) and my attempt at a zoom shot. Wasn't more than 15 rows out, more likely closer to 10th row (was a gen admin concert)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance