01-08-2018 03:33 PM
72 123
tools
    Why are comments so polarising?
    11-16-2017 04:07 PM
    Only lag I've found is with Instagram, which decides to freeze up once in a while. Once apps load (2 seconds or so) there's no lag or stutter.
    11-16-2017 04:11 PM
    I am loving the phone. It is super fast with no stutters. I have the T-Mobile version with very little bloatware. I have found the camera to be great, especially in good lighting. If the lighting conditions are less than ideal I use the ported Pixel Camera app...so I am quite happy.
    11-18-2017 04:11 PM
    Now over a month with my V30. Still I don't know what "lag" people are talking about.....

Lateck,
    11-18-2017 04:24 PM
    Not fancy the wee Note 8.
    11-18-2017 04:26 PM
    Now over a month with my V30. Still I don't know what "lag" people are talking about.....

Lateck,
    I'm over a month too. No lag here
    11-18-2017 06:07 PM
    Admittedly just hit another lag instance. Tried to open the camera through Untappd, and it fritzed out for about 10 seconds. Camera opened, but it was freezing on frames as I moved the phone around. Finally cleared up, but not an issue I've run into on that app before.
    11-18-2017 09:02 PM
    A month in and no lag either. best android experience ive had and my first LG phone.
    mbryanr likes this.
    11-18-2017 09:07 PM
    I just picked up a V30 (sim free unlocked in the UK) and compared to the Oneplus5t I am seeing lag, I have nova launcher installed and also have all animations set at 0. Here are a couple of examples of where I am seeing it:

- Apps in the settings menu takes 3 seconds for the apps list to display at all and then another 3 or 4 before it will scroll without any lag.

- App switcher, noticeable pause when opening it and also when clicking clear all

I just think the settings menus are poorly coded as the phone is otherwise very snappy.
    12-11-2017 05:08 PM
    I just picked up a V30 (sim free unlocked in the UK) and compared to the Oneplus5t I am seeing lag, I have nova launcher installed and also have all animations set at 0. Here are a couple of examples of where I am seeing it:

- Apps in the settings menu takes 3 seconds for the apps list to display at all and then another 3 or 4 before it will scroll without any lag.

- App switcher, noticeable pause when opening it and also when clicking clear all

I just think the settings menus are poorly coded as the phone is otherwise very snappy.
    You should probably try reflashing Nova, as I don't think that type of lag is typical for anyone. More so, I've never seen that lag with my phone. To be honest, since my post above, my phone has been perfectly quick and smooth.
    12-11-2017 05:31 PM
    Reflash nova? Is that just uninstal and renistall?
    12-12-2017 02:29 AM
    I have a 'vanilla' V30+ with the stock launcher, basic LG apps which I personally find useful, my mobile MSFT suite, a few games, and several albums worth of FLAC music.

T-Mobile didn't add much in terms of bloat in my opinion and they don't 'phone home' unless they're activated.

I haven't noticed lag (to me, a great way to test is to go into Maximum Battery Saver mode and click around) but given the press and hold for shortcuts feature attached to the icons, that is likely a possible reason for noticing app launching lag.

In that case, I feel like the phone is deliberately 'waiting' to see if you want to just launch or use a shortcut.

That said, I disable sound effects or special effects for everything unnecessary and I've done this for every phone I've owned.

I change my screen resolution as well if I'm not doing anything related to graphics and finally, on my end, WI-fi is terrible where I live (location issue not a phone issue) and so I often turn it off if reception is bad. Cellular is perfectly fine.

Some ideas that may have already been explored:

Maximum Battery Saver and see if anything improves. Clear cache and data for unused apps. Use the native cleaning app. Once you do that, reboot. Bad reception can muck things up - especially if you have auto-upload on for things like saved pictures, etc. Slow microSD = slower access to its content.

Disclaimer: I own an older LG tablet which worked for my productivity needs and had to manage with less than stellar specs. In my experience, it's usually outside apps still running in the background or some kind of special effects that I didn't need that caused laggy episodes.

Disclaimer 2: I have a Windows Phone that's like lightning when loading apps and I've been spoiled by it. I really don't like lag issues, either.
    12-12-2017 06:59 AM
    I have a 'vanilla' V30+ with the stock launcher, basic LG apps which I personally find useful, my mobile MSFT suite, a few games, and several albums worth of FLAC music.

T-Mobile didn't add much in terms of bloat in my opinion and they don't 'phone home' unless they're activated.

I haven't noticed lag (to me, a great way to test is to go into Maximum Battery Saver mode and click around) but given the press and hold for shortcuts feature attached to the icons, that is likely a possible reason for noticing app launching lag.

In that case, I feel like the phone is deliberately 'waiting' to see if you want to just launch or use a shortcut.

That said, I disable sound effects or special effects for everything unnecessary and I've done this for every phone I've owned.

I change my screen resolution as well if I'm not doing anything related to graphics and finally, on my end, WI-fi is terrible where I live (location issue not a phone issue) and so I often turn it off if reception is bad. Cellular is perfectly fine.

Some ideas that may have already been explored:

Maximum Battery Saver and see if anything improves. Clear cache and data for unused apps. Use the native cleaning app. Once you do that, reboot. Bad reception can muck things up - especially if you have auto-upload on for things like saved pictures, etc. Slow microSD = slower access to its content.

Disclaimer: I own an older LG tablet which worked for my productivity needs and had to manage with less than stellar specs. In my experience, it's usually outside apps still running in the background or some kind of special effects that I didn't need that caused laggy episodes.

Disclaimer 2: I have a Windows Phone that's like lightning when loading apps and I've been spoiled by it. I really don't like lag issues, either.
    I have the T-Mobile US version and agree with most of the above. I didn't use it next to a Pixel 2, but the V30 has no lag and am able to disable the minimal bloatware that came with the phone. I've always believed that in terms of bloatware and lag, Verizon > ATT > TMO - but no hard and fast rule.
    12-13-2017 10:12 PM
    I'm really struggling between the V30 and the Pixel 2 XL. I tried out a V30 at a Verizon store last week and came away really impressed! Tonight, I got to try out a new Pixel 2 XL at the same store and side by side, the V30 was subtly but noticeably laggier. I'm coming from a Pixel XL and I guess I've become used to how buttery smooth everything is and just expected the V30 with the 835 chipset to be just a smooth, but it's not. The Pixel 2 XL is. I'm frustrated because the hardware on the V30 is far superior to the Pixel 2 and I really love the way it feels in hand. The bezels just disappear! Conversely, the Pixel 2 XL doesn't really feel that much smaller or better than my Pixel XL, and the top and bottom bezels are still very noticeable. But Google sure has figured out how to optimize the software -everything, from opening the settings, scrolling a timeline, unlocking it, etc. is just instant! Frustratingly, I was noticing very slight stutters here and there just doing anything with the V30 and it was quite distracting. Anybody else noticing this? Anything that can be done to improve it?
    Enable developer mode and disable animations. My V20 is lightning quick, I honestly don't need to see the animation of the windows opening and closing. Also uninstall all the bloatware. Truthfully, LG has a very lightweight OS and it's speedy and reliable, this is a guy coming from Samsung phones with bloated Touch Wiz + AT&T bloatware.
    12-14-2017 01:00 AM
    I have the T-Mobile US version and agree with most of the above. I didn't use it next to a Pixel 2, but the V30 has no lag and am able to disable the minimal bloatware that came with the phone. I've always believed that in terms of bloatware and lag, Verizon > ATT > TMO - but no hard and fast rule.
    For the literal "T-Mobile" app which I keep for easy account management and chat support, I've discovered that simply logging out will turn the app off-off.

Obviously wi-fi calling + data notices might pop up, but that's a matter of being on T-Mobile.

As an update, I did a run with Pokemon GO and save for my GPS going mildly crazy underground which made my avatar run circles for a few seconds, I had no lag. Also, swapping the app between active and background was a breeze.
    12-14-2017 01:08 AM
    I am still seeing lag but only in a few places but it is enough to bug me. I have also tried removing Nova launcher completely and disabling Lastpass auto-fill and even removing it totally but none of these had any impact, also tried enabling force gpu rendering which had no impact either. I originally thought the V30 was slightly better than the S8 but worse than the OP5t, I now think it is worse than the Samsung I really do.

Truth is the phone is mostly fast but the areas where I definitely notice it are:

- Accessing the apps menu item. Said this before but I it takes a good 3-4 seconds to load and the scrolling is rough for another 2-3 seconds after that

- General scrolling in settings and some apps, chrome, play store, photos, whatsapp (I’ll leave Spotify out for now as that is an app that has struggled on other devices for me)

- App switcher – Press button has a minor delay before the open apps show and then if I click clear all a good 1-2 seconds, have never seen an android phone that is as slow here. IN truth I saw this on the G6 so probably LG rather than V30 specific.

Overall it feels like sloppy LG coding rather than hardware but it is starting to grate a little, it is 90% ok but when it lags it is just really obvious. It seems that all of the current android flagships have some kind of compromise.
    12-20-2017 05:58 AM
    I am still seeing lag but only in a few places but it is enough to bug me. I have also tried removing Nova launcher completely and disabling Lastpass auto-fill and even removing it totally but none of these had any impact, also tried enabling force gpu rendering which had no impact either. I originally thought the V30 was slightly better than the S8 but worse than the OP5t, I now think it is worse than the Samsung I really do.

Truth is the phone is mostly fast but the areas where I definitely notice it are:

- Accessing the apps menu item. Said this before but I it takes a good 3-4 seconds to load and the scrolling is rough for another 2-3 seconds after that

- General scrolling in settings and some apps, chrome, play store, photos, whatsapp (I’ll leave Spotify out for now as that is an app that has struggled on other devices for me)

- App switcher – Press button has a minor delay before the open apps show and then if I click clear all a good 1-2 seconds, have never seen an android phone that is as slow here. IN truth I saw this on the G6 so probably LG rather than V30 specific.

Overall it feels like sloppy LG coding rather than hardware but it is starting to grate a little, it is 90% ok but when it lags it is just really obvious. It seems that all of the current android flagships have some kind of compromise.
    The only place I really notice anything is the app menu (about 2-3 seconds for me). No issues with general scrolling or the app switcher on mine. I'm using the default launcher. I use lastpass. I've disabled caller name id, cloud, Duo, Hum, LG Health, Message +, NFL Mobile, Security & Privacy, Slacker Radio. Most of these are Verizon specific apps.
    12-20-2017 09:51 AM
    The app settings menu varies for me, it just took 6-7 seconds to load for example which is more than normal, along with app switcher though the most noticeable and consistent place I see it.
    12-20-2017 05:41 PM
    The app settings menu varies for me, it just took 6-7 seconds to load for example which is more than normal, along with app switcher though the most noticeable and consistent place I see it.
    Well, that sounds like a defective unit. I'd take it back for a new one. If you can consistently show it taking that long, i wouldn't think they'd give much trouble.

If you decide to keep it, hopefully Oreo will fix it, but I've rarely seen a new version of android actually improve the performance of a phone.
    12-21-2017 09:41 AM
    Have to say I have now tried the Pixel 2 xl and there is as slight delay in opening the app settings menu there too (compared to the rest of the menues it is just not as instant hardly lag though) so maybe this is just a tricky part of the OS?
    01-05-2018 03:08 AM
    I've not had an issue with lag before until this past weekend.

I was at an event and attempting to take pictures and the device kept freezing on the camera app. Was frustrating as I missed a couple of shots. I then decided to reboot the phone because it was acting unlike anything I had ever seen before. But even after reboot it was still freezing so I gave up.

Haven't had the issue since but I've also not been trying to take photos. Have no idea what happened but it was pretty disappointing considering this phone is still really new.
    01-08-2018 02:50 PM
    Have to say I have now tried the Pixel 2 xl and there is as slight delay in opening the app settings menu there too (compared to the rest of the menues it is just not as instant hardly lag though) so maybe this is just a tricky part of the OS?
    It's not surprising that it takes an app menu a second or two to load. You're expecting Android to just have all the app information and data loaded and ready to go, but that would entail a lot of processes running in the background and killing battery life. Even laptops and PCs take a second or two to load drive data when you dig.

I've never had an Android phone instantaneously present the app menu in the settings drawer, and probably for good reason.
    NationalTrust likes this.
    01-08-2018 03:33 PM
72 123