polbit

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
Is the lag noticeable when not comparing phones?

I played with a display model and it was quick and snappy. More than my iPhone 7+

The lag wasn't very obvious, and even compared to 2XL side-by-side we are not talking Samsung Touchwiz bad. I'm just concerned that if it's somewhat noticeable now, how will it be 2 months from now with a full suite of my apps.

I have an iPhone 7+ currently, and there is a difference between snappy and laggy. iPhone has slower animations in a lot of places, and slower scrolling through web pages, but it is extremely consistent - there is absolutely no lag, and perfectly fluid.

A whole lot of people keep buying the Samsung phones, so obviously UI lag does not bother everyone. For the rest of us, we debate lag on something as fast as a V30 :)

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
The lag wasn't very obvious, and even compared to 2XL side-by-side we are not talking Samsung Touchwiz bad. I'm just concerned that if it's somewhat noticeable now, how will it be 2 months from now with a full suite of my apps.

I have an iPhone 7+ currently, and there is a difference between snappy and laggy. iPhone has slower animations in a lot of places, and slower scrolling through web pages, but it is extremely consistent - there is absolutely no lag, and perfectly fluid.

A whole lot of people keep buying the Samsung phones, so obviously UI lag does not bother everyone. For the rest of us, we debate lag on something as fast as a V30 :)

I will agree that my iPhone 7+ is super consistent even after a year. I've also had an iPhone 4s, 5s and 6s for work and they had noticeable delays when opening apps and switching apps but my 7+ hasn't changed. Although I am still on 10.3.3.

But the V30 was faster when I tested the demo full of AT&T crap. I did notice slow down on my last LG G3 and G4 closer to a year. But i think if I loaded the V30 with the same amount of apps of my G4 or even more, the upgraded RAM and processor would better help it over time?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
With the 4GB of RAM, lagginess should not be an issue, unless you have 20 background apps open, including a few graphic intensive games.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
With the 4GB of RAM, lagginess should not be an issue, unless you have 20 background apps open, including a few graphic intensive games.

Haha each, thanks to Android I have a habit of swipe closing apps after I use them. Except for android watch and my main game.

CAL127

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm really struggling between the V30 and the Pixel 2 XL. I tried out a V30 at a Verizon store last week and came away really impressed! Tonight, I got to try out a new Pixel 2 XL at the same store and side by side, the V30 was subtly but noticeably laggier. I'm coming from a Pixel XL and I guess I've become used to how buttery smooth everything is and just expected the V30 with the 835 chipset to be just a smooth, but it's not. The Pixel 2 XL is. I'm frustrated because the hardware on the V30 is far superior to the Pixel 2 and I really love the way it feels in hand. The bezels just disappear! Conversely, the Pixel 2 XL doesn't really feel that much smaller or better than my Pixel XL, and the top and bottom bezels are still very noticeable. But Google sure has figured out how to optimize the software -everything, from opening the settings, scrolling a timeline, unlocking it, etc. is just instant! Frustratingly, I was noticing very slight stutters here and there just doing anything with the V30 and it was quite distracting. Anybody else noticing this? Anything that can be done to improve it?

Starting to think AT&T bloatware is the worst of them all. I had the First Moto z from verizon and had no issues what so ever with it. Fast forward to now and i recently had the Moto z2 force from AT&T (since they picked it up this year) and have had nothing but issues. Mods not connecting, random reboots, terrible lag. My girlfriend and I both had these issues, so we devided to get the phones exchanged, AT&T sent us 2 BRAND NEW Moto Z2s and....THE EXACT SAME ISSUES. Still restarting, disconnecting ,mods, possibly even worse lag then the first. We jumped ship and said "hell no" but i havent heard these issues from anybody with other Versions. I have a V30 on Verizon now and it's strange how blazing fast the V 30 has been. I used the G6 and even it wasnt on the V30's level.

xplod566

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
Starting to think AT&T bloatware is the worst of them all. I had the First Moto z from verizon and had no issues what so ever with it. Fast forward to now and i recently had the Moto z2 force from AT&T (since they picked it up this year) and have had nothing but issues. Mods not connecting, random reboots, terrible lag. My girlfriend and I both had these issues, so we devided to get the phones exchanged, AT&T sent us 2 BRAND NEW Moto Z2s and....THE EXACT SAME ISSUES. Still restarting, disconnecting ,mods, possibly even worse lag then the first. We jumped ship and said "hell no" but i havent heard these issues from anybody with other Versions. I have a V30 on Verizon now and it's strange how blazing fast the V 30 has been. I used the G6 and even it wasnt on the V30's level.
It has a SD835 and that's actually insanely fast.
G6 had 821,it's no slouch either,but then 835 is a different league altogether.
Lao I guess the disk speed of the V30 might be much much faster than g6

bill rico

Oct 31, 2017
Visit site
I'm really struggling between the V30 and the Pixel 2 XL. I tried out a V30 at a Verizon store last week and came away really impressed! Tonight, I got to try out a new Pixel 2 XL at the same store and side by side, the V30 was subtly but noticeably laggier. I'm coming from a Pixel XL and I guess I've become used to how buttery smooth everything is and just expected the V30 with the 835 chipset to be just a smooth, but it's not. The Pixel 2 XL is. I'm frustrated because the hardware on the V30 is far superior to the Pixel 2 and I really love the way it feels in hand. The bezels just disappear! Conversely, the Pixel 2 XL doesn't really feel that much smaller or better than my Pixel XL, and the top and bottom bezels are still very noticeable. But Google sure has figured out how to optimize the software -everything, from opening the settings, scrolling a timeline, unlocking it, etc. is just instant! Frustratingly, I was noticing very slight stutters here and there just doing anything with the V30 and it was quite distracting. Anybody else noticing this? Anything that can be done to improve it?

theragtopman

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I just wanted to follow up to my original post here. After having owned both phones now, I can say the Pixel 2 XL does not exhibit this stuttering/lagginess effect when scrolling long articles or timelines. To clarify, the V30 is blazingly quick when opening apps or switching between apps, but it's distractingly frustrating when using some apps such as Plume for Twitter or even when scrolling Applications in the Settings menu. Google must be doing some additional optimization of the OS to improve the performance because spec wise, both the V30 and the Pixel 2 appear to be identical. I've noticed the same stuttering on my girlfriend's Galaxy S8, so LG is not alone.

I can say the same thing for the cameras. The camera specs of the V30 appear to be equal or even superior to the Pixel 2, yet the Pixel 2 photos are simply stunning compared to the photos from the V30, which were surprisingly disappointing (especially indoors). Whatever optimization Google is doing with their HDR+ processing makes a significant difference.

Reluctantly, I returned the V30 for the Pixel 2 XL. I really liked the size and feel of the hardware of the V30 and the added features of the headphone jack and wireless charging. But I just became increasingly frustrated with the stuttering within apps and the poor low light photos. The Pixel 2 XL is noticeably larger than the V30 and bezels are clunkier, which is disappointing. I don't use headphones that often, so I'm okay with out the headphone jack. And I may not need the wireless charging capability as the battery life of the Pixel 2 XL has been remarkable so far where I haven't needed to top up during the day yet with it (currently over 4 hours SOT with 42% battery life left).

Ultimately, neither phone is perfect, but they're both pretty damn good in their own ways. I think it comes down to which features are more important to each buyer. Not a bad problem to have!

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Only lag I've found is with Instagram, which decides to freeze up once in a while. Once apps load (2 seconds or so) there's no lag or stutter.

Will In SF

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I am loving the phone. It is super fast with no stutters. I have the T-Mobile version with very little bloatware. I have found the camera to be great, especially in good lighting. If the lighting conditions are less than ideal I use the ported Pixel Camera app...so I am quite happy.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Admittedly just hit another lag instance. Tried to open the camera through Untappd, and it fritzed out for about 10 seconds. Camera opened, but it was freezing on frames as I moved the phone around. Finally cleared up, but not an issue I've run into on that app before.

neil74

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
I just picked up a V30 (sim free unlocked in the UK) and compared to the Oneplus5t I am seeing lag, I have nova launcher installed and also have all animations set at 0. Here are a couple of examples of where I am seeing it:

- Apps in the settings menu takes 3 seconds for the apps list to display at all and then another 3 or 4 before it will scroll without any lag.

- App switcher, noticeable pause when opening it and also when clicking clear all

I just think the settings menus are poorly coded as the phone is otherwise very snappy.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up a V30 (sim free unlocked in the UK) and compared to the Oneplus5t I am seeing lag, I have nova launcher installed and also have all animations set at 0. Here are a couple of examples of where I am seeing it:

- Apps in the settings menu takes 3 seconds for the apps list to display at all and then another 3 or 4 before it will scroll without any lag.

- App switcher, noticeable pause when opening it and also when clicking clear all

I just think the settings menus are poorly coded as the phone is otherwise very snappy.
You should probably try reflashing Nova, as I don't think that type of lag is typical for anyone. More so, I've never seen that lag with my phone. To be honest, since my post above, my phone has been perfectly quick and smooth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar