So, I'm a Windows 10 Mobile refugee looking for my first Android device. Between Pixel 2 XL and V30, I'm leaning towards the V30 because of premium looks. I know that Pixel will always get the updates first, but how is LG with updates historically (V20, G6, etc)?

Would a T-mobile version get more frequent updates or the unlocked version? As a 950Xl owner, I would get Insider updates, so updates on Android are new to me.

Any help?
    10-13-2017 06:03 PM
    So, I'm a Windows 10 Mobile refugee looking for my first Android device. Between Pixel 2 XL and V30, I'm leaning towards the V30 because of premium looks. I know that Pixel will always get the updates first, but how is LG with updates historically (V20, G6, etc)?

Would a T-mobile version get more frequent updates or the unlocked version? As a 950Xl owner, I would get Insider updates, so updates on Android are new to me.

Any help?
    No they ignore the unlocked US models and don't give a ****. They don't even get updates like carrier models so if you want to buy the V30 buying the crippled carrier phones is the option if you want some updates. LG and other OEMs generally care only about carriers and bend over backwards to them. They could care less about good user experience.
    10-13-2017 06:47 PM

Any help?
    I am also a WP refugee, Microsoft gave me no option but to leave. I don't know much about the updates consistency with LG since this is my first LG phone. I can tell you that you need to install Microsoft Launcher, way better then the LG interface. It makes the switch easier. Good luck.
    10-13-2017 06:50 PM
    No Android OEM is good on updates. They're all, more or less, the same. I have been hearing that Samsung and LG are even worse when it comes to updating their unlocked phones, which is a little off putting. I don't understand why they would, though, especially since we're always told the carriers are to blame are slow updates. Seems like you can't win either way.

Carrier branded phones aren't terrible. You can disable or uninstall a good amount of bloat from within the settings and you can uninstall the rest with your PC via adb commands.

I'm not sure if I'll get a carrier model when they inevitably drop in price or get a good promotion or if I'll just get the unlocked for the freedom. Maybe I'll just wait until the V20 gets updated to Oreo to decide which V30 model I want.

Or maybe I'll just let Google take advantage of me with their overpriced phone knowing I'll get updates and probably better performance in the long run. Or maybe I'll wait to see what OnePlus has up their sleeve.
    10-13-2017 07:47 PM
    No they ignore the unlocked US models and don't give a ****. They don't even get updates like carrier models so if you want to buy the V30 buying the crippled carrier phones is the option if you want some updates. LG and other OEMs generally care only about carriers and bend over backwards to them. They could care less about good user experience.
    That's good to know, thanks. I was actually waiting for the unlocked version, fully expecting that LG would update it without problems considering it doesn't need to go through carrier approval. Looks like I was wrong.
    10-14-2017 08:58 AM
    No Android OEM is good on updates. They're all, more or less, the same. I have been hearing that Samsung and LG are even worse when it comes to updating their unlocked phones, which is a little off putting. I don't understand why they would, though, especially since we're always told the carriers are to blame are slow updates. Seems like you can't win either way.

Carrier branded phones aren't terrible. You can disable or uninstall a good amount of bloat from within the settings and you can uninstall the rest with your PC via adb commands.

I'm not sure if I'll get a carrier model when they inevitably drop in price or get a good promotion or if I'll just get the unlocked for the freedom. Maybe I'll just wait until the V20 gets updated to Oreo to decide which V30 model I want.

Or maybe I'll just let Google take advantage of me with their overpriced phone knowing I'll get updates and probably better performance in the long run. Or maybe I'll wait to see what OnePlus has up their sleeve.
    Thanks for that. I can deal with carrier crap, as long as I get some kind of updates. I know that if I want constant updates, I should go with Pixel 2 but there is just something not right the with Pixel 2 XL. And no headphone jack and no microsd is really killing the vibe for me.
    10-14-2017 08:59 AM