The Android Qobuz app does use the ES9218P DAC for output. I did an analysis on the output of 30 tracks that Qobuz defines as "hi-resolution" and all but 1 was really a standard or lower than standard resolution recording stuffed into a 192khz container. Most didn't even have any energy over 17khz.

Good news, Qobuz uses the DAC. Bad news, Qobuz lies about the REAL quality of their content.
    So does that mean Qobuz can do everything the default LG music app can do provided the source material is legit hi res? Or does it down convert to 48khz like the others?
    10-26-2017 08:01 PM
    So does that mean Qobuz can do everything the default LG music app can do provided the source material is legit hi res? Or does it down convert to 48khz like the others?
    It can play PCM up to 192khz but no DSD and no MQA. That means that it CAN'T make full use of the Sabre DAC.
    10-26-2017 11:05 PM
    It can play PCM up to 192khz but no DSD and no MQA. That means that it CAN'T make full use of the Sabre DAC.
    Ah of course. Forgot about DSD and MQA. I guess Qobuz is the best for streaming then and for everything else use the LG music player.
    10-27-2017 01:07 PM
    Ah of course. Forgot about DSD and MQA. I guess Qobuz is the best for streaming then and for everything else use the LG music player.
    Tidal works the same.
    10-27-2017 05:48 PM
    Thanks for this thread. Plain and simple, i am checking out the V30 due to that quad-dac, but it has to be able to play DSD files to their max potential. More specifically SACD DSD and DST (muiltichannel) ISO files due to my meticulously converting everything i have for playback in my main system Exasound DAC. This could replace a DAP since Hiby can directly play this format (built-in app certainly cannot)...however, if Hiby can't take advantage of the great DAC or gets cut to Android-wimpy bitrate, that's not going to fly and I may as well get any other cheaper Android. Is that unfortunately the case with no workaround?

I didn't see KAMERTON music player listed which i also think handles those formats (although a bit clunky)--did you try that?
    11-03-2017 12:18 PM
    Thanks for this thread. Plain and simple, i am checking out the V30 due to that quad-dac, but it has to be able to play DSD files to their max potential. More specifically SACD DSD and DST (muiltichannel) ISO files due to my meticulously converting everything i have for playback in my main system Exasound DAC. This could replace a DAP since Hiby can directly play this format (built-in app certainly cannot)...however, if Hiby can't take advantage of the great DAC or gets cut to Android-wimpy bitrate, that's not going to fly and I may as well get any other cheaper Android. Is that unfortunately the case with no workaround?

I didn't see KAMERTON music player listed which i also think handles those formats (although a bit clunky)--did you try that?
    The V30 Sabre ESS9218P DAC CAN play DSD up to DSD256 natively. The only caveat is that you can currently ONLY use the stock LG music player to do so. The stock player will play .dsf and .dff files but not .iso files. You must extract the individual tracks to either .dsf or .dff first. This will not alter the audio, it is just an extra preparatory step for you. You are better off using .dsf as you can then embed metadata such as cover art into the file. Hiby is not able to send DSD files to the Sabre DAC on this device. I will try Kamerton. I have never heard of it before.
    11-03-2017 01:10 PM
    But isn't everything on an Android phone neutered down to 16bit/48khz whether it uses the DAC or not--using the headphone jack? I dont have any use for USB out although i think it can be made bitperfect that way. Don't think there's anyway to get bitperfect audio on an Android phone out the jack--using anything--which would be why DAPs are still the way to go for 24-32 bit files and DSD.
    11-03-2017 09:50 PM
    But isn't everything on an Android phone neutered down to 16bit/48khz whether it uses the DAC or not--using the headphone jack? I dont have any use for USB out although i think it can be made bitperfect that way. Don't think there's anyway to get bitperfect audio on an Android phone out the jack--using anything--which would be why DAPs are still the way to go for 24-32 bit files and DSD.
    No, audio files can be sent to the onboard DACs unretouched on Android.
    11-04-2017 10:12 AM
    I'm finding something I didn't expect. Native LG music app on the V30, playing 44 kHz/16 bit redbook FLAC, output to the Hugo 2 via USB. The Hugo 2 is indicating it's receiving a 48 kHz sample rate signal. Can anybody explain what's going on? I wasn't expecting this behavior from the stock LG music app.
    11-05-2017 10:57 AM
    Will PlayerPro activate the Sabre DAC?
    11-05-2017 12:50 PM
    Will PlayerPro activate the Sabre DAC?
    what do you mean by activate?
    11-07-2017 12:49 AM
    I'm finding something I didn't expect. Native LG music app on the V30, playing 44 kHz/16 bit redbook FLAC, output to the Hugo 2 via USB. The Hugo 2 is indicating it's receiving a 48 kHz sample rate signal. Can anybody explain what's going on? I wasn't expecting this behavior from the stock LG music app.
    The problem is android, not the LG app per say. From my understanding, the V30 only utilises the Quad DAC when the headphones are being used. If you use the usb out the audio is processed by the 835's DAC so subject to 'interference' by the android system, which is long known to mess about with sample rates. It's the same thing that affects external DACs (such as the red/black dragonfly etc), which necessitated using the 'USB Audio Player PRO' app to circumvent such problems (uses its own drivers over androids to allow direct usb output). You might be able to test the above app which should allow the redbook FLAC to be sent at its native 44 kHz rate via USB to your Hugo 2 DAC.
    11-07-2017 03:23 AM
    The problem is android, not the LG app per say. From my understanding, the V30 only utilises the Quad DAC when the headphones are being used. If you use the usb out the audio is processed by the 835's DAC so subject to 'interference' by the android system, which is long known to mess about with sample rates. It's the same thing that affects external DACs (such as the red/black dragonfly etc), which necessitated using the 'USB Audio Player PRO' app to circumvent such problems (uses its own drivers over androids to allow direct usb output). You might be able to test the above app which should allow the redbook FLAC to be sent at its native 44 kHz rate via USB to your Hugo 2 DAC.
    USB Audio Player Pro is afaik the only app that has a separate driver for USB output on phones which will send bit-perfect signal to an EXTERNAL dac.

UAPP can also play through Android and in settings there is an option to set the sample rate as 'variable' so the app tries to match the Android sample rate with that of the track being played. However the developer has said this is only at the Android software/driver end and he can't confirm if the app can speak directly to the QuadDac even when it is outputting to it.

@mlknez could you possibly comment if UAPP with its Android sample rate set to 'variable' can output a full 192Khz PCM signal from the QuadDac without downsampling to 48Khz?
    11-11-2017 05:53 AM
    Have you had the chance to try BubbleUPnP? I had read somewhere that it is one of the few players that may use the Quad DAC
    11-22-2017 11:19 AM
    I had forgotten about this as I used it on my V10...

https://forum.xda-developers.com/lg-...where-t3274457
    11-22-2017 11:44 AM
    Thank you for the information in this thread. I tried using the stock LG player but it only plays my files in alphabetical order. In other apps (Black Player as an example) the tracks show up in an album in track order.
    I'd there is no way to change it this makes the app useless to me. Thanks ahead.

-Jody
    11-22-2017 07:44 PM
    My music plays by album on the stock player.
    11-22-2017 08:06 PM
    I find the only way the app plays an album in track order is if I go into album list and choose 'select to play'. At least that is an option.
    11-24-2017 08:07 PM
    I find the only way the app plays an album in track order is if I go into album list and choose 'select to play'. At least that is an option.
    I'm not following how you expect it to work, or why it is useless. You can select 'Songs" and play all your songs in alphabetical order or random. Or you can select "Albums" pick an album an play it in order or randomly. Or pick "Artists" and play all their albums or songs on that album in order or randomly. Finally you could select "Genres" and play the songs in order or randomly.
    11-25-2017 07:48 AM
    After two days of using the phone here are my observations on audio:

1. The ONLY app that can play PCM, DSD and MQA to the full potential of the ES9218P DAC is the stock LG player.
    2. The stock player interface is very poor and limited but the quality of audio output is excellent
    3. MQA files need to end in .flac or .wav extension for the stock player to play them correctly
    4. Most players still use an older Android API for querying the abilities of the DAC. This only allows one DAC to answer and it is always the Qualcomm DAC, not the Sabre DAC. This results in the app decimating and converting all audio to 48khz PCM even when the phone does output via the Sabre DAC.
    5. The new FIR filters interface does a capable job of smoothing out digital ringing.
    6. High Bitrate music files placed on the new Sandisk 400GB high-speed MicroSD card were played perfectly

Other music players tried:
    1. USB Audio Player Pro
    2. Onkyo HF Player
    3. Black Player
    4. HiBY Music
    5. Google Music Player
    6. Amazon Music Player
    7. Tidal
    8. PowerAmp
    9. VLC
    10. Foobar2000
    11. Pi Music Player
    12. jetAudio HD Music Player
    13. Neutron Music Player
    14. NRG Music Player
    Could you give the plex app a go? I am direct streaming 24bit Flac from my server and it sounds truly excellent. Difficult to pick differences between the same files playing in the stock LG Music App to be honest. Would be interested to know the true details.

Thanks a lot
    12-17-2017 12:04 PM
    I use AIMP it sends output to what the input is. No upconvert, which leaves audible artifacting, especially noticeable at low volume with 44khz that output as 48khz.

AIMP plays everything (tested .mp3 .flac and .dsf)

With Shure SE846 IEM's its a huge difference in all playback...
    02-12-2018 02:19 AM
    After two days of using the phone here are my observations on audio:

1. The ONLY app that can play PCM, DSD and MQA to the full potential of the ES9218P DAC is the stock LG player.
    2. The stock player interface is very poor and limited but the quality of audio output is excellent
    3. MQA files need to end in .flac or .wav extension for the stock player to play them correctly
    4. Most players still use an older Android API for querying the abilities of the DAC. This only allows one DAC to answer and it is always the Qualcomm DAC, not the Sabre DAC. This results in the app decimating and converting all audio to 48khz PCM even when the phone does output via the Sabre DAC.
    5. The new FIR filters interface does a capable job of smoothing out digital ringing.
    6. High Bitrate music files placed on the new Sandisk 400GB high-speed MicroSD card were played perfectly

Other music players tried:
    1. USB Audio Player Pro
    2. Onkyo HF Player
    3. Black Player
    4. HiBY Music
    5. Google Music Player
    6. Amazon Music Player
    7. Tidal
    8. PowerAmp
    9. VLC
    10. Foobar2000
    11. Pi Music Player
    12. jetAudio HD Music Player
    13. Neutron Music Player
    14. NRG Music Player

If you would like me to test any other players for bitperfect output, please let me know. I record directly from the output of the V30 into a Sony PCM-D100 high-resolution digital audio recorder at the highest possible bitrate for the encoding used on the source. I then use Adobe software to do a comparison of the digitized output captured to the original file. There are always a few minor anomalies due to the nature of digital to analog and analog to digital conversions, but it is easy to spot when a decimation or digital to digital conversion was done during output.
    Check out AIMP. I have been using it as my go to player and it seems way better with 44khz FLAC's (no upconvert to 48khz) playback is amazing!
    02-12-2018 02:26 AM
    Things have changed since I made my original post of observations. Neutron Player now supports the Sabre DAC with the exception of MQA and DSD256.

As a side note to the person that asked, the stock LG Music Player was not made to play via USB and does not correctly support USB attached DACs. For that, I would recommend USB Audio Player Pro.
    02-12-2018 09:38 AM
    Does anyone have a favorite program to listen to their top quality audio FLAC and related sound files on the lg v30?
    I like using Neutron
    02-14-2018 09:12 PM
    Does anyone have a favorite program to listen to their top quality audio FLAC and related sound files on the lg v30?
    I always go back to onkyo hf player. Very nice since the last update.
    02-15-2018 08:41 PM
51 123