10-26-2017 05:58 AM
52 123
tools
    "As to that all-important camera on the V30, I find it good, sometimes great, but never exceptional. LG billed the V30 as a major leap forward in imaging, what with its f/1.6 aperture and real glass lens for enhanced image clarity (on the main camera), however the actual results don’t distinguish this phone from a class of very high performers near the V30’s lofty price point."

Link to source w/ full article.
    Tinyurl.com/y92c5tyl
    10-17-2017 08:33 AM
    "As to that all-important camera on the V30, I find it good, sometimes great, but never exceptional. LG billed the V30 as a major leap forward in imaging, what with its f/1.6 aperture and real glass lens for enhanced image clarity (on the main camera), however the actual results don’t distinguish this phone from a class of very high performers near the V30’s lofty price point."

Tinyurl.com/y92c5tyl
    Honestly, I think the camera is very life like. I think what the writer is looking for is a vibrant, over-saturated picture that pops off the screen, which isn't what the V30 produces. Overall, I am pleased with the camera. Even in low light, backlit shots I am getting quality, usable images.
    10-17-2017 09:17 AM
    I'll wait for DxOMark. Lol.

In the end all top of the line smartphone cameras are great. Just pic which one has the feature you like best (monochrome, wide angle, etc).
    10-17-2017 09:24 AM
    The Wide-Angle Second Lens is what attracts me to the newer LG flagships. For my use that would be more important than the Portrait Lens of the N8 or iPhone 8+. My question is: How well does the V30's camera perform in low-light/night situations?
    Diehlirious likes this.
    10-17-2017 09:32 AM
    I agree w/ everybody. I also think he has a specific taste & most people have praised the wide angle.

@experiment 626
    The low light shots seemed comparable to the Note 8 imho
    experiment 626 likes this.
    10-17-2017 09:58 AM
    I think camera opinions and analyses are subjective. Sure, the specs are objective and one can derive a clearer performance from those attributes; but when I see reviews of cameras, I often think about things like bias, what phone the reviewer has, what the reviewer thinks of the company, etc.

As other users have said, any camera on a flagship phone is going to be pretty good. If it is a flagship phone, it will most likely have decent specs. Even my Honor 8, a midrange phone, has a pretty decent camera. So I think that camera quality and performance are largely determined by the specific user in question - if you think the camera is good, awesome! Everyone will have a different take on a phone feature or a phone in general.
    10-17-2017 10:05 AM
    The Wide-Angle Second Lens is what attracts me to the newer LG flagships. For my use that would be more important than the Portrait Lens of the N8 or iPhone 8+. My question is: How well does the V30's camera perform in low-light/night situations?
    Totally the opposite for me. I have had my Note 8 since early September. I have used the camera a lot including two weeks in Europe and found myself needing a wide angle less than 5 times. I have used the 2x zoom on my Note many times. I personally agree with the Verge review on this point in the review. For every day running around shooting for MY needs the zoom is much more valuable. YMMV depending on your shooting needs.

I disagree with the Verge review on their comments on main camera image quality. I think the V30, Note 8 and just about every 2017 flagship's main camera shooter delivers excellent images. Sure you can chimp images to death, but I think both phones have great main cameras.
    experiment 626 likes this.
    10-17-2017 04:42 PM
    Totally the opposite for me. I have had my Note 8 since early September. I have used the camera a lot including two weeks in Europe and found myself needing a wide angle less than 5 times. I have used the 2x zoom on my Note many times. I personally agree with the Verge review on this point in the review. For every day running around shooting for MY needs the zoom is much more valuable. YMMV depending on your shooting needs.

I disagree with the Verge review on their comments on main camera image quality. I think the V30, Note 8 and just about every 2018 flagship's main camera shooter delivers excellent images. Sure you can chimp images to death, but I think both phones have great main cameras.
    It's 2018 already???
    10-17-2017 06:28 PM

Tinyurl.com/y92c5tyl
    I totally disagree. I thought my S7 EDGE had a great camera, but the v30 is exceptional. Just about every reviewer agrees.
    xplod566, Diehlirious and editguy like this.
    10-17-2017 06:41 PM
    I tend to disagree with The Verge's review about the V30's camera. What I will say is that LG didn't take full advantage of their f/1.6 aperture by decreasing the sensor size which makes for less bright but less noisy, low light shots.(from what I've seen) But the V30 is more like a DSLR than most phones in that it takes excellent photos in great conditions. In low light and some tricky situations, you have to go into manual mode for the best results. No professional uses a DSLR at night in auto mode. You just don't get the best results that way. The "problem" with the V30 is the same one as most LG phones: they simply aren't the best in auto mode. Unfortunately that kind of leaves a mark on LG phones when in fact the cameras are very capable. And given their extensive manual mode you really can get amazing low light shots although you may need a tripod in a certain situations.

What I'm seeing with the Pixel that is so darn intriguing is that even in low light and especially in high dynamic range shots, the camera just does it all with the push of a button. Google's algorithms have been so fine tuned that it takes away the need for a dedicated manual mode. And in low light situations(something that LG desperately needs to adopt) the highlights from light sources are preserved beautifully. You just can't get that with the V30 and definitely not without some extra equipment like an ND filter. And with the V30 you have to make a choice in high dynamic range scenes: rely on auto mode HDR which will still probably over expose the highlights to a degree or shoot in manual at a faster shutter speed and then bring the shadows up in post. Rivaling smartphones just handle the situations more intelligently and that's more on LG's software side than the hardware.

But it depends on who writes the review from The Verge before I can really trust that its a genuine experience. Just look at the review. Where's the shiny accompanying video? They were too preoccupied with the new Pixels to even give the V30 a real chance if you ask me.
    10-17-2017 06:49 PM

Tinyurl.com/y92c5tyl
    It's too early to judge as every person have a different taste.However don't follow The Verge for everything.i remember when they reviewed the V20 initially they told the audio is good,but nothing to rant about.Little did they check it with a High Impedemce headphones !
    RaRa85 likes this.
    10-17-2017 06:57 PM
    It's 2018 already???
    It is for my company. I am neck deep in financials so sometimes the years seem to blend
    10-17-2017 07:52 PM
    It's too early to judge as every person have a different taste.However don't follow The Verge for everything.i remember when they reviewed the V20 initially they told the audio is good,but nothing to rant about.Little did they check it with a High Impedemce headphones !
    I was just pretty surprised. His perspective in regards to photography I couldn't really understand it.

& everybody has their own opinion about the display but I thought he was kind of harsh. I guess it's interesting, it's been a hot subject.

Smh no high impedence *can't find the face palm emoji* You're so right though, I won't follow them
    xplod566 likes this.
    10-17-2017 09:47 PM

I disagree with the Verge review on their comments on main camera image quality. I think the V30, Note 8 and just about every 2017 flagship's main camera shooter delivers excellent images. Sure you can chimp images to death, but I think both phones have great main cameras.
    Def agree, it comes down to the taste & I'm guessing about which feature(s) I'll personally like better but the one thing that makes me really want to go for the V30 & it's wide angle is that despite the fact that it can't compete with the Note 8's optical zoom I think it's digital zoom will be good enough w/ a steady hand. I'm also hoping that by using the Google Camera app I'll be able to play around with the blur effect to create some portrait style pics. So I see it as I'll take the wide angle & a dash of portrait & zoom if I can get it.
    10-17-2017 09:58 PM
    I was just pretty surprised. His perspective in regards to photography I couldn't really understand it.

& everybody has their own opinion about the display but I thought he was kind of harsh. I guess it's interesting, it's been a hot subject.
    Yeah.i guess consumers should give LG some time to settle with their display.its their first major Amoled screen phone and it's too much to ask.i guess people have gotten a nick that Samsung oled is the best and yeah they are but that spoilt everyone's perspective towards amoled.lg were never a pioneer in audio in their previous smartphones ,but the v series completely annihilated any mobile when it comes to music with the quad DAC.a little time and they can come up with something pretty amazing in displays too!
    10-17-2017 10:02 PM
    Most smart phone cameras provide very similar results, none of them are significantly better when comparing flagships in my opinion.
    eshropshire and Diehlirious like this.
    10-17-2017 11:48 PM

Smh no high impedence *can't find the face palm emoji* You're so right though lol I won't follow them
    🤦
    10-18-2017 12:10 AM

Tinyurl.com/y92c5tyl
    Their hardware is definitely good. Software could use improvement. Samsung has put a large amount of money in research and development and they are definitely high tech. I still personally think LG makes excellent cameras, especially still keeping the 16MP sensor which I think still matters. What I've noticed with Samsung is their camera is tweaked to automatically enhance the image, I notice the colors are boosted to give it a more lively look. I still think the 12MP on Samsung looks grainy to me, 16MP still wins despite some flaws. I mean come-on, you get a full 13MP wide angle camera which no manufacture dared to even try, and a HiFi microphone that could probably be used to record studio vocals. Don't forget the DAC. Can't really complain. I bet if the iPhone had wide angle, everyone would go crazy excited although it's been out on LG.
    Diehlirious likes this.
    10-18-2017 12:57 AM
    Two things... 1) LG still went with a REALLY small sensor, so noise and light sensitivity will still be an issue regardless of the aperture. And this will then lead right into point #2 ... From what I've seen, LG still bludgeons the life out of pictures on the V30... noise reduction that destroys as much detail as it does noise and an amount of sharpening that is so shockingly poor, they must be doing it on purpose to appeal to some slug brained exec at LG who thinks halos actually look good. This was so bad on the G6 I stopped using the stock camera completely and used the modified Google Camera when I needed to use it to take a shot.... no wide angle, but I get keepable pics at least.

I have a G6 that's on a JUMP eligible line on T-Mobile and I can't wait to unload that thing.... and I'll get the V30 so I can give it a good once over before I probably return it. I just picked up a new(ish) first gen Pixel XL and its soooo far ahead of the G6 in so many ways its sort of sad. I want to see if LG learned anything since the G6 launched.

So to go back to the OP's question... While I will reserve judgement on whether I agree with the Verge, I will say that what they said is completely, 100% in line with my experience with the phones immediate predecessor... so that doesn't bode well. The best indicator of future behavior is past performance. And if I see someone saying the same stuff all over again.... *sigh*
    10-18-2017 11:42 AM
    well, based on the images being posted here in the V30 Pictures sticky, i probably agree with the Verge.
    I am not really blown away by any of the images I have seen here. They just look OK, and not a whole lot better than my V10 to be honest.

But I don't have a V30 yet.. only looking at the images being posted here.
    I would love for someone to provide some better samples or even a comparison.
    I really would like to get a V30, and am rooting for it to succeed.
    10-18-2017 11:57 AM
    I have used the LG G6 and LG V20. I also have the Google Pixel and the iPhone 7. I had the Galaxy S8 for a few months as well. I am chomping at the bit to get some of the newer devices this year. But here are my 2 cents on the LG cameras. It takes a bit of fiddling before you can settle in with the LG camera to produce pictures at par with the Pixel or S8 or iPhone. The Pixel on the other hand produces superb pictures regardless of the situation/condition thanks to HDR+ and software. If you are wiling to invest a bit of time to learn the intricacies of LG camera software, I think overall you will not be disappointed with it. It's just that you have to remember the idiosyncrasies of the LG device every time you use the camera whereas the Pixel spoils you completely rotten. The S8 camera is also very similar to the Pixel however in low light the Pixel tops it. FWIW the low light camera in the LG isn't too bad either.
    10-18-2017 12:05 PM
    Could you give a comparison of sensor sizes between current flagship phones. What is "REALLY small". The camera site DPReview gives the LG G6 an 85% score compared to original Pixel XL of 88% and Iphone 7 plus at 88%.
    10-18-2017 12:13 PM
    Its "The Verge", that site has their heads so far up Apples @ss everything they post is pro Apple and con everything else.
    10-18-2017 01:45 PM
    everything they post is pro Apple and con everything else.
    Pretty much. They really shouldn't be reviewing any Android device because their bias is ridiculous.
    editguy likes this.
    10-18-2017 02:30 PM
    Well... it's not so much the physical size as it is the pixel size itself. The V30's 16MP sensor is is 5.87mm diagonally with a 1.0
    μm pixel size. To put that in perspective, the first generation Pixel's 12MP sensor is 7.87mm with 1.55 μm pixels. The new Pixel uses a different sensor, a 12MP that runs 6.84mm (1.4μm)

Yes, they have a wide aperture and top quality glass lenses, but they NEED a wide aperture and top quality lenses to compensate for those wee pixels.

All things being equal, smaller pixels are more prone to noise than larger ones... and that increased noise sensitivity becomes even more an issue as ISO values go up.... which then requires more noise reduction processing... etc. And whether this is intentional or not, LG tends to go way overboard with NR and they end up stomping on real data in the picture.

I have a couple of samples kicking around here somewhere where I took some shots of a calendar that I had hanging on the wall of my office. With the 6P I have (sensor was same size as the Pixel 1), if you looked at the calendar you could see the slight variations and grain of the paper it is printed on. Same shot with my G6, paper looks like solid white.

Now, here's the thing... those shots from the G6 have less noise than even the Pixel XL I just picked up. But contrary to what's been hammered into our brains... noise isn't necessarily bad and sometimes it adds a bit of character to a picture. So while my XL might have more noise, it also retains a significant amount more detail along with that noise. To be honest, the 6P/Pixel's shots have a film-like quality to them.... They might be softer and have more noise, but they look REAL.... like an actual photograph. The stuff I get out of my G6 has been processed so heavily that it ceases to look like a photograph and instead looks like a digital reconstruction. (Yes, I know Google has HDR+ which is, by a WIDE margin the best image processing in all of mobiledom, but it is what it is)

OK... I just went way off the rails here... but I could talk about this stuff all day.

Long story short... LG did themselves a great disservice by not going with larger camera sensors. Because staying small means they have to rely on their processing more, and their processing sucks sewage.
    10-18-2017 04:07 PM
52 123