Looking for honest not-biased input. Former V20 owners, are the changes that big or not so much? Worth it? Dump $800 out my wallet or should I keep the V20?
    10-18-2017 11:24 PM
    The changes are huge. You can actually now use the DAC to its full potential, (albeit only with the stock LG music player.) The screen and battery life are improved. The physical size is smaller but with the same sized screen (easier to hold). It is now waterproof. The operation is snappier. The antenna pulls in weak signals better. There are many more improvements.
    10-19-2017 02:28 AM
    Yes 100% worth it, like above everything is better. The form factor and battery by themselves are worth the upgrade. The camera is faster IMO too.
    10-19-2017 08:26 AM
    The changes are huge. You can actually now use the DAC to its full potential, (albeit only with the stock LG music player.) The screen and battery life are improved. The physical size is smaller but with the same sized screen (easier to hold). It is now waterproof. The operation is snappier. The antenna pulls in weak signals better. There are many more improvements.
    What do you mean by only being able to use the DAC to it's full potential with the built in player? I have used it with Google Music to great results.
    10-19-2017 08:47 AM
    Now I love my V30 but, if you don't have the mad money to drop on a 30, the V20 is still a great phone (device). I still have my V10 & 20's. As it has been said, the V30 is Fantastic! The screen and overall size, perfect. The WA camera is better. I was a little concerned about the glass build but with a case and screen protector I'm not worried. I have even seen a vid on the V30's quality build on scratching, not a problem.

In short, I'm glad I got the V30.
    Lateck,
    10-19-2017 09:50 AM
    Just do like I'm doing and wait for a price drop!
    10-19-2017 10:00 AM
    What do you mean by only being able to use the DAC to it's full potential with the built in player? I have used it with Google Music to great results.
    Did you see the words "to it's full potential?" Google music is not able to play DSD natively or PCM>192khz natively or unfold MQA.
    10-19-2017 01:40 PM
    Looking for honest not-biased input. Former V20 owners, are the changes that big or not so much? Worth it? Dump $800 out my wallet or should I keep the V20?
    Here... I'll give you 2 reason not to and to consider it ..

No IR blaster and removable battery..

New and you got $800 burning a hole in your pocket....

Hope that helps..... 😉

Mac
    10-19-2017 03:59 PM
    Yes 100% worth it, like above everything is better. The form factor and battery by themselves are worth the upgrade. The camera is faster IMO too.
    I agree, I know Snapdragon 835 is definitely next gen. Battery life is phenomenal on it. I think I'm convinced. I really want that 13MP wide angle and f1.6 aperture camera. Guess I'll keep my V20 as a backup/gaming/media player.
    10-19-2017 04:02 PM
    For me, I don't think it was fully worth the upgrade. Im sure I'll get some flack, but since I use pretty common listening devices when playing music through the DAC, I can't tell the difference on the V30. Same with camera. It's slightly better in standard mode, and I don't usually use wide angle, so while an improvement, not really an $800 improvement.

The waterproofing wasn't a big deal to me. I've gone my life without, so this wasn't important (to me). The battery was a wash because you lose the removeable battery, but I'm impressed with the battery life and quick charge on the V30.

I did have some (short lived) extra money saved for a phone, so with the $200 rebate and free Google VR they got me to buy.

But unless you are very, very particular in all the things you want and need in a camera/phone, the V20 is just as good. If I could be more patient and do it over, I def wait for the price drop, or even better, the V40.

Again, all just my own personal opinion.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-19-2017 04:02 PM
    Here... I'll give you 2 reason not to and to consider it ..

No IR blaster and removable battery..

New and you got $800 burning a hole in your pocket....

Hope that helps.....

Mac
    $800 is pricy. I might be able to live without removal since battery life has been improved with Snapdragon 835. IR blaster is still very cool though. Either way, I'm still keeping my legendary V20.
    10-19-2017 04:04 PM
    The only thing for me is getting a tempered glass screen protector to work on it. Gorilla Glass 5 is too easy to scratch. So far, nothing good yet, I might have to wait until a manufacture comes out with one that's good and not overpriced.
    10-19-2017 04:06 PM
    That's what I'm thinking. Might not drop until the G7 comes out though.
    10-19-2017 04:07 PM
    The only thing for me is getting a tempered glass screen protector to work on it. Gorilla Glass 5 is too easy to scratch. So far, nothing good yet, I might have to wait until a manufacture comes out with one that's good and not overpriced.
    I've been using the skinomi matte case friendly screen protector. Not as clear as tempered glass. But also not a fingerprint magnet. I've always preferred the matte.
    10-19-2017 04:22 PM
    That's what I'm thinking. Might not drop until the G7 comes out though.
    Might be sales between here and then.
    10-19-2017 04:23 PM
    On Verizon it's $840 plus activation fee, plus taxes. You're over $900 out the door.
    10-19-2017 05:16 PM
    On Verizon it's $840 plus activation fee, plus taxes. You're over $900 out the door.
    Minus $200 if you buy it now and get that rebate. Otherwise it's not worth it buy from Verizon, especially since they remove features for no reason.

Last year, the V20 was a very fair $672 from Verizon while AT&T was overpriced at around $850, IIRC. Don't know what Verizon is smoking this year, but I'm going to be happy to leave them.
    10-19-2017 10:41 PM
    $800 is pricy. I might be able to live without removal since battery life has been improved with Snapdragon 835. IR blaster is still very cool though. Either way, I'm still keeping my legendary V20.
    Sure.... If you get one post up in 2-3 months just how your doing with the battery..... I've have a 835 in my u11 sitting unused and it's definitely better but still not good enough for me.. And fwiw the v20 has fast charging too😉

Mac
    10-19-2017 11:01 PM
    Yup! I got my V20 for $360 back in February. I'll probably do the same for the V30. Just gotta hawk the interwebs for that low price, lol!
    TheMarcus likes this.
    10-20-2017 10:20 AM
    In my opinion, yes. Just for the updated camera, and ergonomics.
    10-21-2017 07:55 AM
    I think the upgrade is worthy just for the difference in weight.....the V20 is a boat anchor. Don't really care about the removable battery, quick charge has worked well for me and I'd rather have my device water-proofed. Never use the IR blaster. So, I will upgrade, after a price drop. The pre-order bundle doesn't excite me. I'd rather have a lower price.
    10-21-2017 09:38 AM
    Minus $200 if you buy it now and get that rebate. Otherwise it's not worth it buy from Verizon, especially since they remove features for no reason.

Last year, the V20 was a very fair $672 from Verizon while AT&T was overpriced at around $850, IIRC. Don't know what Verizon is smoking this year, but I'm going to be happy to leave them.
    True. If Verizon would just give the instant $200 off, and LG forget the Daydream freebie that most people don't care about, this could be a ~$500 phone and be selling like hotcakes.

Foolish selling strategy they have now.
    Mike Dee likes this.
    10-21-2017 09:39 AM
    True. If Verizon would just give the instant $200 off, and LG forget the Daydream freebie that most people don't care about, this could be a ~$500 phone and be selling like hotcakes.

Foolish selling strategy they have now.
    I've often what how well hotcakes sell
    10-21-2017 11:38 AM
    Nope. Atleast for now
    10-21-2017 02:52 PM