Google has announced that the pixel 2 will get three years of software updates. This is pretty valuable and I'd like to know if anyone has been able to find out if LG offers any kind of software update guarantee?

These are basically the phones I'm deciding between and knowing where LG stands is going to help me decide. Thanks for any info anyone has.

.... Brad
    10-21-2017 12:10 PM
    Google has announced that the pixel 2 will get three years of software updates. This is pretty valuable and I'd like to know if anyone has been able to find out if LG offers any kind of software update guarantee?

These are basically the phones I'm deciding between and knowing where LG stands is going to help me decide. Thanks for any info anyone has.

.... Brad
    They can guarantee that you won't get updates anywhere near as fast as the pixels
    10-21-2017 12:19 PM
    I thought about using an upgrade eligibility to get XL 2. So before I ordered decided to check out the torture test of it on jerry rig everything on YouTube.

No thank you. I bet it's not 3 months before people are complaining about color transfer from the back coating.
    10-21-2017 12:26 PM
    LOL very true, but if they could at least promise security updates for, say at least the two years they are extending hardware support, that would at least be something.

I know Nexus/PIXEL is the gold standard in software support for Android. I just don't want to get the V30 and find it lagging even in security updates after one year. I don't expect LG to be on par with Google when it comes to software support.
    10-21-2017 12:38 PM
    LOL very true, but if they could at least promise security updates for, say at least the two years they are extending hardware support, that would at least be something.

I know Nexus/PIXEL is the gold standard in software support for Android. I just don't want to get the V30 and find it lagging even in security updates after one year. I don't expect LG to be on par with Google when it comes to software support.
    10-21-2017 12:38 PM
    No guarantees. If that is one of your top priorities get the Pixel. Software updates are pretty incremental these days, so neither that nor security updates are high on my list when selecting a phone.
    10-21-2017 03:06 PM
    Thanks. It's something I've enjoyed with Nexus devices for nearly the last decade. I'm moving from a Nexus 6p which got Android 8.0 just recently. But the V30 checks so many boxes, it's a compelling phone even without the extra software support. I feel torn.
    10-21-2017 05:12 PM
    Thanks. It's something I've enjoyed with Nexus devices for nearly the last decade. I'm moving from a Nexus 6p which got Android 8.0 just recently. But the V30 checks so many boxes, it's a compelling phone even without the extra software support. I feel torn.
    I'm also in this same boat. While getting the newest updates are great, most of the times they break or add bugs and then promise a fix for the next update. So you wait and get more anxious for the next update.

It's a love/hate things for me, updates ruined my Nexus 6. Updates are not a deal breaker for me anymore, and after seeing how bad the pixel phone did in Jerry's video ( the bend is in full force here ) I'm not sure this phone will even make it 2 years let alone 3 to receive updates.

I might be alone on this but I don't mind staying on nougat for as long as I can. Everything works buttery smooth.
    10-21-2017 10:50 PM
    That's a good point, the V30 showed amazing durability, and two year warranty as opposed to the one year you get with the pixel.
    10-22-2017 02:19 AM
    If you care about timely updates and long term support, don't buy LG. Just don't. They forget old phones when they release new ones.

You'll get security updates every few months, which isn't bad. You'll get a major OS update or two (O is guaranteed and I'm positive we'll get P as well, but that's it). You won't get updates outside of that. After the first year when the V40 is out or even after the G7 is out, no telling how much longer LG is going to care about the V30.

They make great phones, but you need to be happy with the device for what it is and not what it will be with updates.
    10-23-2017 10:24 AM
    Thanks for the feedback. Software support is indeed important to me, now I just have to decide if it's enough to make me select the lesser phone just for that support. Because I really feel like the V30 is the better phone (than the pixel 2) in many ways.
    10-23-2017 10:52 AM