V30.... almost great - short one fatal flaw (and not the one you expected)

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So I was in a situation where I needed to trade in the G6 and the V30 seemed like the most likely choice. I had a real love/hate relationship with the G6, with the latter becoming more as time went on (anyone who frequented the G6 board probably knows my saga already).

Now, the V30 is an incredible phone. The one I had won the lottery and the display is actually really good. Even the blue shift is minimal, at steep angles and only with white screens. Really a total non issue. Performance is great, lightyears better than the G6... that thing would cough and spit up after running for a few days and sometimes launching the camera became more of a suggestion than command. UI performance is really smooth. I mean, LG has never been associated with fluid UIs. V30 fits that bill. It feels GREAT in hand and its surprisingly light.

And the camera. Now, the G6's camera is my biggest gripe with that thing. Everything was way too oversharpened and the halos just made things look weird. And noise was reduced so heavily that any sort of texture, from walls to faces, all completely washed clean of any depth and realism.

V30 has NONE of that. Well, almost none. It launches with immediacy and takes pictures the instant I tap that shutter button. Well, other than the somewhat annoying 'slide to zoom' function that had me dropping to the wide angle way too easily but it is quick. Outside it does wonderful; great detail, nice colors and the processing cudgel that the G6 slammed on every pic was nowhere to be seen. Even little bare branches way off in the distance look like little bare branches way off in the distance and not glowing wires.

Now, my biggest concern was in lower light shots since LG, for some reason, has stubbornly stuck with small sensors. Wide aperture or not, small sensor is small. But I found that it still did a great job. I took a shot under my desk at work and I could read the printing on the side of the power cable plugged into an outlet, V30's flexing its 16MP muscles there... my XL took a well appointed shot in the same situation but the high res detail of V30 just did a little bit better.

Now, here's the part where I get to the 'but...' I was sure I had what very well might be as close to perfect a phone as I could have hoped. That is, until I started taking pics of my kids in the evening and the V30 fell completely flat on its face. The well preserved skin tones and features that I saw out in the sun were now strangled within an inch of their lives. It's clear to me that LG does some sort of face detection and then applies what I can only describe as a what you would get if you gave a 2 year old a Wacom tablet and let them go at it in Photoshop.

Remember that story a while back where the person tried to 'fix' a fresco in Italy and ended up completely destroying the portrait of Jesus? Yeah, that's pretty much what happens if you try to take a picture of a person inside or at night.

513259474_13195159_wide-360d295b5726058b589b84b5d341f077b1cde4a7.jpg

And the crazy thing is that LG does this on purpose. If I took the same pic without the aforementioned child in the frame, details were crisp, noise reduction kept to a nice level, you name it. But if it sees a face in there somewhere.... *splat*

And since my wife takes way WAY to many pics of my kids in situations like this. It might as well be sparks shooting out of the charging port every time you unlock it. If I were to hand her this thing, well, next time you'd see ol' LeoRex, it would be on the side of a milk carton.

Needless to say the V30 will be going back before the return period expires... which is sad since it was SO.... VERY.... CLOSE to being an absolute stunner of a phone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
V30 is by FAR the best phone I've ever seen LG produce. Hoping they can keep up what they improved and close the gap behind Google and Samsung with next year's offering.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
V30 is by FAR the best phone I've ever seen LG produce. Hoping they can keep up what they improved and close the gap behind Google and Samsung with next year's offering.
Oh, agree totally. It's a joy to use, which makes it that much more frustrating. It's that close.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
It would be good to see some unedited original files with all the EXIF data for diagnosing.

Check your camera settings. When photographing people, the HDR system should be turned off in many/most cases.

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
I was taking pics of my S7 Edge (to sell) with my V30. I agree, the low light shots were better with the S7 Edge. While I want to have a nice camera, I don't take all that many pictures, so I can live with it.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
No possible software updates in the future to correct that issue?

I wouldn't hold my breath. First, LG doesn't exactly have a rich and storied history of fixing software problems, especially the longer after the launch date you are.

Second, like I mentioned, LG did this on purpose. The fact that they so greatly cut down on noise and sharpening, yet here they dialed it to 11 still, tells me that LG wants their pictures to look this way and they refuse to address it.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Do you have any sample pics to show? I was curious how this phone dealt with a live subject indoors. I have the G5, and the camera is decent, but when taking a photo of a person or my dog, the slightest movement by the subject results in terrible blur. I really like the wide angle on LG's, but have compared the G5 to a family members S8, and the S8 seems to deal with the blur problem much better.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Sure.. Here's a couple. I zoomed in a bit so you could see. The first is the V30, auto... The second is the XL.
869f03442feb89b58b0014b8385bb830.jpg

dbad095c72e0294df2470e109f10ca23.jpg

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
The only pics I you were with the display unit in the Sprint store and they looked really good.

Wonder if another device would yield the same results?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Oh, most do look really good. Just about the only issue I've run into happens to be during a situation that I need the thing to preform well in.

xplod566

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site
So I was in a situation where I needed to trade in the G6 and the V30 seemed like the most likely choice. I had a real love/hate relationship with the G6, with the latter becoming more as time went on (anyone who frequented the G6 board probably knows my saga already).

Now, the V30 is an incredible phone. The one I had won the lottery and the display is actually really good. Even the blue shift is minimal, at steep angles and only with white screens. Really a total non issue. Performance is great, lightyears better than the G6... that thing would cough and spit up after running for a few days and sometimes launching the camera became more of a suggestion than command. UI performance is really smooth. I mean, LG has never been associated with fluid UIs. V30 fits that bill. It feels GREAT in hand and its surprisingly light.

And the camera. Now, the G6's camera is my biggest gripe with that thing. Everything was way too oversharpened and the halos just made things look weird. And noise was reduced so heavily that any sort of texture, from walls to faces, all completely washed clean of any depth and realism.

V30 has NONE of that. Well, almost none. It launches with immediacy and takes pictures the instant I tap that shutter button. Well, other than the somewhat annoying 'slide to zoom' function that had me dropping to the wide angle way too easily but it is quick. Outside it does wonderful; great detail, nice colors and the processing cudgel that the G6 slammed on every pic was nowhere to be seen. Even little bare branches way off in the distance look like little bare branches way off in the distance and not glowing wires.

Now, my biggest concern was in lower light shots since LG, for some reason, has stubbornly stuck with small sensors. Wide aperture or not, small sensor is small. But I found that it still did a great job. I took a shot under my desk at work and I could read the printing on the side of the power cable plugged into an outlet, V30's flexing its 16MP muscles there... my XL took a well appointed shot in the same situation but the high res detail of V30 just did a little bit better.

Now, here's the part where I get to the 'but...' I was sure I had what very well might be as close to perfect a phone as I could have hoped. That is, until I started taking pics of my kids in the evening and the V30 fell completely flat on its face. The well preserved skin tones and features that I saw out in the sun were now strangled within an inch of their lives. It's clear to me that LG does some sort of face detection and then applies what I can only describe as a what you would get if you gave a 2 year old a Wacom tablet and let them go at it in Photoshop.

Remember that story a while back where the person tried to 'fix' a fresco in Italy and ended up completely destroying the portrait of Jesus? Yeah, that's pretty much what happens if you try to take a picture of a person inside or at night.

View attachment 271869

And the crazy thing is that LG does this on purpose. If I took the same pic without the aforementioned child in the frame, details were crisp, noise reduction kept to a nice level, you name it. But if it sees a face in there somewhere.... *splat*

And since my wife takes way WAY to many pics of my kids in situations like this. It might as well be sparks shooting out of the charging port every time you unlock it. If I were to hand her this thing, well, next time you'd see ol' LeoRex, it would be on the side of a milk carton.

Needless to say the V30 will be going back before the return period expires... which is sad since it was SO.... VERY.... CLOSE to being an absolute stunner of a phone.
Did you check with some different unit if they are also exhibiting the same issue ?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Did you check with some different unit if they are also exhibiting the same issue ?

Don't need to... this isn't any sort of hardware flaw in the lens, or something wrong with the focus system... it's a simple example of a choice to apply some heavy processing to faces in lower light situations to make them 'cleaned up'. It's like that "Beauty Face" junk you see on the FFC on some phones. The only conclusion is that there are a lot of people out there who WANT their pictures to look like that... and that makes me sad for the future of humanity.

I fired up one of the Google Camera mods last night and I'll test it out tonight when I get the chance. I have a feeling that I'll find what I found with the G6... if you use image processing that isn't an affront to all that is good and holy, I'll get nice pictures.

Can you tell I so really want this phone to work for me?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Don't need to... this isn't any sort of hardware flaw in the lens, or something wrong with the focus system... it's a simple example of a choice to apply some heavy processing to faces in lower light situations to make them 'cleaned up'. It's like that "Beauty Face" junk you see on the FFC on some phones. The only conclusion is that there are a lot of people out there who WANT their pictures to look like that... and that makes me sad for the future of humanity.

I fired up one of the Google Camera mods last night and I'll test it out tonight when I get the chance. I have a feeling that I'll find what I found with the G6... if you use image processing that isn't an affront to all that is good and holy, I'll get nice pictures.

I really had high hopes from the V30. I thought the camera might have improved but they keep using tiny sensors. I really wasn't much of a cellphone camera person but after seeing what other brands could do I just had to come to grips with reality.
I know I will miss the quad DAC but they make nice small external ones that I can use with any phone.

xplod566

Oct 11, 2017
Visit site

Yes I have a g6 and v20 as well as xz premium.
Xz premium doesn't support raw formats so it can't use Google camera
But when I do the same in g6 it's really really good.infact the auto mode isn't that good either.try with Google camera and I think it's gonna be really awesome .do update me sir

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae