Is LG V30 the best camera smartphone?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
lol no. It IS the best one that LG has ever made. But it's probably still 2-3 generations behind the latest from Samsung, Huawei and Apple and possibly one more generation behind Google's software.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
It's a really good, but not great, camera. It really can't best last year's best, nevermind this year. In good lighting it can hold it's own, and in static night shots, it's by far the best LG has ever done. But their hamfisted processing is absolutely brutal on people inside and at night. Pictures are pretty much not usable and the quality gap there between it and the first gen Pixel is comical.

md308

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

"Best" camera is a subjective term. All the top end phones are pretty good these days, and usually excel in some areas but may be weaker in another.

My advice is you have two options:

1. Use an internet search engine (I hear Google has good one) and YouTube to find reviews and comparisons, along with the picture thread here and for other phones that you are interested in and decide what looks like a winner to you.

2. Listen to armchair quarterbacks and keyboard warriors like us spout opinion without basis or logic, 'cause that's what we do. :)

I suggest #1 .

Last edited:

lateck2

Sep 11, 2016
Visit site
Oh my, md308, you used logical thought to let us know how to select a device?
What a concept......

md308 is Right! But for me, the V30 has a very good camera.

Lateck,

jamielov

Nov 21, 2014
Visit site
Nope, lol. As said above...good camera. Nowhere near great and certainly nowhere near best. For difficult lighting situations (for me, that's concerts) I'm still pulling out my G4 for the best results

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
The camera software for HDR/low shots is terrible compared to Google. Simply use the Pixel software downloaded off XDA and its might possibly be the best camera. I've tested over 100 shots using tripod with me V20, and blown up full size, and the google samples have nearly twice the clarity when zoomed. All because of software.

90% of photo quality is software related these days, as so many use the same parts and processors.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Depends on your definition of 'best.' If you shoot in auto mode and mainly just take pictures of you and your friends out and about, no. Your best bet is the Pixel 2, if you can get around the relatively dull colors and somewhat over-generous processing.

However, if you take a lot of video, appreciate great sound recording on said video, or you are someone familiar with photography that is comfortable using manual settings, you can't beat the V30. No other shooter comes close to it in these respects.

In short, it all depends what you are looking for in a phone camera.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
how many people making these comments own the phone? just curious if this is based on personal experience or not.

I've had it for two weeks and it's ok....its nothing special in automode which is what most people shoot in. Manual mode is excellent if you have a basic understanding of photography. I don't plan on keeping it because I like the Pixel better. The V30 is an audio beast but I have a V20 which is close in the audio section. I will use the Pixel as my main phone and V20 for music and NAV. Maybe repurchase V30 when it drops in price which it will.

RapidTurtle

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
This thread pretty much shows the fatal flaw of the camera.
forums.androidcentral.com/lg-v30/842595-v30-almost-great-short-one-fatal-flaw-not-one-you-expected-2.html#post6039002

DFranch

May 22, 2014
Visit site
It is a good, not great camera. The wide angle camera is great though. it depends on what you are looking for. If you want the best indoor/low light camera, look elsewhere. If you're looking for outdoor/landscape photos this is a great option.

Last edited:

Blown 89

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
No. Not even close. In auto mode my Nexus 6 destroys the V30's auto mode. It's not even a contest...the N6 simply obliterates it. The V30's auto mode in anything but sunny ideal conditions is simply terrible and if your subject is moving at all.....forget about it. It's a blurry mess.

The video recording is really good though and the audio in those videos is outstanding. Unlike the iPhone or Pixel it records in stereo and it sounds fantastic....much better than any other cell video I've ever seen.

Like a lot of people I'm trying to find a way to like this phone because it's really, really good everywhere but the camera. LG really dropped the ball with the camera because the phone is damn good at everything else.

Infiniti14

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
I've had it for two weeks and it's ok....its nothing special in automode which is what most people shoot in. Manual mode is excellent if you have a basic understanding of photography. I don't plan on keeping it because I like the Pixel better. The V30 is an audio beast but I have a V20 which is close in the audio section. I will use the Pixel as my main phone and V20 for music and NAV. Maybe repurchase V30 when it drops in price which it will.

You are my camera guru Mike. How would you say the camera compares to your V20?

The reason I ask is that the V30 is already $300 off on my carrier and I'm considering snapping it up.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Huawei? Yeah right.

I wouldn't sleep on Huawei... They've made some massive strides in the past few generations of their phones. From my perspective, they are putting a lot of effort into improving picture quality while some OEMS (like LG, Samsung and even Apple to an extent) seem - at least to me - to be chasing buzzword worthy secondary features and sacrificing quality improvements to camera modes that will take the vast majority of shots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member