Anyone else impressed with T-mobiles gigabit?

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I bought the V30 for 3 main reasons. 1,for the camera with its wide angle, 2, for its incredible dac, and 3,because I knew it would be getting the 600mhz spectrum. But to my surprise, I'm in one of the areas that T-mobile just turned on their gigabit spectrum. I just can't believe how incredibly fast it is. I've done speed tests from my office, and always averaged in the mid to late 20's mps. So yesterday, when I read my area was turned on, I did another speed test. Same building same office, same time. I got 84mps.thats incredible. Imagine once the 600mhz spectrum is added. You'll get these speeds pushed a whole lot further. I'm truly impressed.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I bought the V30 for 3 main reasons. 1,for the camera with its wide angle, 2, for its incredible dac, and 3,because I knew it would be getting the 600mhz spectrum. But to my surprise, I'm in one of the areas that T-mobile just turned on their gigabit spectrum. I just can't believe how incredibly fast it is. I've done speed tests from my office, and always averaged in the mid to late 20's mps. So yesterday, when I read my area was turned on, I did another speed test. Same building same office, same time. I got 84mps.thats incredible. Imagine once the 600mhz spectrum is added. You'll get these speeds pushed a whole lot further. I'm truly impressed.

Wow that's pretty impressive considering the average WiFi is around 23 Mbps for US downloads. How fast is the upload speed? This might be reaching record speeds. Last I heard they were testing Band 71 around Wyoming and parts of Oregon. Are you located around that region?

For those looking around....this might be a good time to switch over especially with this lovely phone around. Too many good features to pass on.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Wow that's pretty impressive considering the average WiFi is around 23 Mbps for US downloads. How fast is the upload speed? This might be reaching record speeds. Last I heard they were testing Band 71 around Wyoming and parts of Oregon. Are you located around that region?

For those looking around....this might be a good time to switch over especially with this lovely phone around. Too many good features to pass on.

Somewhat. There are people who have hit 100+ on LTE w/ T-Mobile. When I had them a few months ago I could hit 100+ down the road from my house pretty consistently .. and that was before all the spectrum they got.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Upload was 15.29.

SupraLB

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site
That's good to hear. I've been thinking of switching to Tmobile from Verizon, but was worried how good the service was.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
I don’t have the V30, but yes, I’m impressed. I ran this test last week on my iPhone 8 Plus:
fa889f8766bbe09b3249d8e36bebcbe0.jpg

Edit: this is in suburban Detroit

Last edited:

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
That's good to hear. I've been thinking of switching to Tmobile from Verizon, but was worried how good the service was.
It will vary from location to location. Don't just take someone else's speeds since it doesn't mean anything unless it's your area. This is for any carrier.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

I was with verizon since they bought bell Atlantic. I got so sick and tired of the extra fees and increases that 1year ago I took 1 of my lines and put it on project fi, which was T-mobile. I actually got just as good reception and faster speeds than verizon. I kept both devices with me to compare. So when the 55plus plan came out, my wife and I jumped on it. She opened her account and put my daughter on with her, and I put music 2 lines on my account. It's been great. We're all happy and we're saving 1500.00 a year.

djrakowski

Q&A Team
May 4, 2011
Visit site
You must be right next to a tower because iphones do not have the correct bands to receive this. There are only 5 devices that can work. No iphones currently support it.

Regardless, I've never seen results like this before. Just a few weeks ago on this same iPhone, testing in exactly the same spot, I was getting results in the low 30's.

jascospeed

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
These speeds are not gigabit LTE, these are just part of TMobile advanced LTE that can more then double LTE speeds and that most phones can already take advantage of depending on your area. They have been rolling this out in many markets for some Time now.

In order to get gigabit LTE you'll need a Qualcomm gigabit modem in your phone and only a handful of flagships this year have them. V30 is one of them and no iPhone including the X has that capability.

A lot of confusion between 1) advanced LTE 2) 600 MHz 3) gigabit LTE.

600 MHz is an extended range spectrum that will help cover areas that TMO has little to no coverage. That's why Wyoming was a test bed for 600. You don't need 600 for gigabit, it will run on current LTE bands including the new 600 band 71.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
These speeds are not gigabit LTE, these are just part of TMobile advanced LTE that can more then double LTE speeds and that most phones can already take advantage of depending on your area. They have been rolling this out in many markets for some Time now.

In order to get gigabit LTE you'll need a Qualcomm gigabit modem in your phone and only a handful of flagships this year have them. V30 is one of them and no iPhone including the X has that capability.

A lot of confusion between 1) advanced LTE 2) 600 MHz 3) gigabit LTE.

600 MHz is an extended range spectrum that will help cover areas that TMO has little to no coverage. That's why Wyoming was a test bed for 600. You don't need 600 for gigabit, it will run on current LTE bands including the new 600 band 71.

That is right, but yes, you need a special chip for the 600mhz.as stated in all articles on this band 71. Only 5 phones have this band.

jascospeed

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
That's one of the reasons I got a V30. And no only the V30 is capable of the new band 71. Possibly the Samsung active will be next according to recent articles.

The 5 phones you're talking about is gigabit LTE capable, basically all phones running a snapdragon 835 with the Qualcomm gigabit modem. This year's flagships from the major players.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol