I can connect my phone via Wifi Direct to Samsung Galaxy phones, Blackberry's, etc but no matter what I do or try I cannot send or receive a file via wifi direct. If someone tries sending to me it tries for a few seconds then it says "Send failed" and on a Blackberry it says something like "No connection". If I try to send a file to another device... well there's no option to select Wifi Direct when tapping "Share" like there is on other devices. Only options for wireless sharing are Android Beam, Bluetooth, and Smart Share. Tried Smart Share but nothing happened, seems to be an LG only thing. I've tried with File Sharing in the notification panel drop down turned both on and off. So, how does one transfer files via Wifi Direct? I have no problems with Android Beam.

Rev.
    11-21-2017 04:19 PM
    I can connect my phone via Wifi Direct to Samsung Galaxy phones, Blackberry's, etc but no matter what I do or try I cannot send or receive a file via wifi direct. If someone tries sending to me it tries for a few seconds then it says "Send failed" and on a Blackberry it says something like "No connection". If I try to send a file to another device... well there's no option to select Wifi Direct when tapping "Share" like there is on other devices. Only options for wireless sharing are Android Beam, Bluetooth, and Smart Share. Tried Smart Share but nothing happened, seems to be an LG only thing. I've tried with File Sharing in the notification panel drop down turned both on and off. So, how does one transfer files via Wifi Direct? I have no problems with Android Beam.

Rev.
    It's listed under Wi-Fi -> Menu Options -> Advanced Wi-Fi -> Under "Connections" you can find Wi-Fi Direct. The wording could be better. If you share files using "File Share" it's actually using Wi-Fi Direct to transfer the files in the background. You have to make sure "File Sharing" is turned on for both devices. There's also a couple Apps on the market that use Wi-Fi Direct namely SuperBeam, Wi-Fi Shoot & etc.

Also keep in mind that different manufacturers tend to make the connection somewhat propietary; LG's version won't be compatible with Samsung's version or even Apple & vice versa. You have to stick to market Apps for different manufacturers.
    11-21-2017 07:35 PM
    It's listed under Wi-Fi -> Menu Options -> Advanced Wi-Fi -> Under "Connections" you can find Wi-Fi Direct.
    I know where the setting is and as mentioned I can connect but there is no wifi direct option when sharing a file. Only smart share which doesn't do anything.
    11-22-2017 06:33 AM
    I know where the setting is and as mentioned I can connect but there is no wifi direct option when sharing a file. Only smart share which doesn't do anything.
    If you're trying this with different phone brands, it won't work. LG's implementation of WiFi Direct is not compatible with different phone brands. For now you have to use one of the Apps I mentioned before or something similar.
    11-22-2017 07:55 PM
    Hmm, seems you're right. My colleagues and I tested this at my job (we work in IT). They have Samsung's currently and my old phone was an S5. They could not transfer or receive to my device or our blackberry's. I cannot transfer to/from my LG device to their Samsung's nor our Blackberry's. However, they can wifi-direct transfer to each other's Galaxy's and the Blackberry's can wifi-direct transfer to each other without issue. Interesting. I'd thought wifi-direct was a standardized protocol. Thanks for your feedback!

Rev.
    11-24-2017 09:19 AM

Rev.
    Wi-Fi direct is inside the Wi-Fi settings. For some reason, Wi-Fi direct doesn't work with different phone manufactures (I tried with my ZTE Zmax Pro and it doesn't work). The next best alternative is bluetooth which is pretty darn slow, OR an OTG drive which is probably the fastest, faster than Wi-Fi direct probably depending on the flash drive speed. You can get the keychain OTG drive which is convenient and you'll always have it with you.

Funny thing, back in the day Samsung used to advertise their S Beam (which was basically Wi-Fi direct) but now they use Bluetooth beam which is slower but I guess it makes sense cause it's compatible with other phones.
    11-24-2017 01:51 PM