Korean V30

yongkykun

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
Hi all,

My V30+ was imported directly from South Korea and as such it has a lot of functionalities and apps that are in Korean. As such, the U+ services and the LG customer service, which include the quick help app, are only catered to those who live in South Korea. I'm a bit disappointed that I can't preview the Oreo update because of that, but the main issue is that my device is cluttered with apps that I can't use and can't remove.

So I'm wondering if I can somehow change the OS to other region? I'm new to Android so I really don't know much about much. Appreciate the input and help.

Cheers.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

My V30+ was imported directly from South Korea and as such it has a lot of functionalities and apps that are in Korean. As such, the U+ services and the LG customer service, which include the quick help app, are only catered to those who live in South Korea. I'm a bit disappointed that I can't preview the Oreo update because of that, but the main issue is that my device is cluttered with apps that I can't use and can't remove.

So I'm wondering if I can somehow change the OS to other region? I'm new to Android so I really don't know much about much. Appreciate the input and help.

Cheers.

I have the same model in Moroccan Blue. You can easily disable most of those Apps. I would keep a close eye on the Quick Help App. If you navigate through the menu options with the help of Google Translate, you can sign up for the Oreo Preview Upate. I just got the lovely OS upgrade notification after signing up last night. :)

yongkykun

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
It's not a claim. USA might just be one of the regions that is allowed to preview the new OS. I'm in Indonesia and I can vouch that I can't join in the OS preview.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
It's not a claim. USA might just be one of the regions that is allowed to preview the new OS. I'm in Indonesia and I can vouch that I can't join in the OS preview.

It's not tied to Geo or IP location, it's more so tied to the phone model. If it were using location you could easily bypass that with a VPN. All the updates & security patches for the V300L are pushed to all the units regardless of location.

The bigger question would be....what are the steps you performed to sign up for the preview?

yongkykun

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
1. Changing nothing but logging into my google account which doubles as my LG account
2. Tried using VPN, set it to S.Korea
3. Set up a new LG account but the region automatically got set to USA even though other apps and sites detect me as being in S.Korea. On top of that the website broke.

Not sure if I missed a step or two. But those are what I've tried so far and I still get the same old "The service is not supported in your country" message.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
1. Changing nothing but logging into my google account which doubles as my LG account
2. Tried using VPN, set it to S.Korea
3. Set up a new LG account but the region automatically got set to USA even though other apps and sites detect me as being in S.Korea. On top of that the website broke.

Not sure if I missed a step or two. But those are what I've tried so far and I still get the same old "The service is not supported in your country" message.

You don't have to sign up for an LG account. Just bring up the Quick Help & navigate to the page below by highlighting the Korean Text & clicking on the menu option then translate. Once you get to the page below, click on the banner in pink with Oreo. Proceed to the confirmation screen (the one with 3 checkboxes & disclaimers) & click on confirm. The next day you should have the notification for the OS Preview.

Attachments

• 17421.jpg
    17421.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 18

yongkykun

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
You don't have to sign up for an LG account. Just bring up the Quick Help & navigate to the page below by hightlighting the Korean Text & clicking on the menu option then translate. Once you get to the page below, click on the banner in pink with Oreo.

That's precisely what I did. Still getting that message. I even tried turning off location services (dunno what's it's called in Android).

That page later sends us to a screen where at the bottom we have to tick a checkbox and click on the button at the very bottom which prompts a pop up to show up then we have to select the option on the right. Then it will automatically login to LG account, and that's where I get the "not supported in your country" message. I reckon it has to do with one of LG services running in the background. The U+ services is also suspect.

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
That's precisely what I did. Still getting that message. I even tried turning off location services (dunno what's it's called in Android).

That page later sends us to a screen where at the bottom we have to tick a checkbox and click on the button at the very bottom which prompts a pop up to show up then we have to select the option on the right. Then it will automatically login to LG account, and that's where I get the "not supported in your country" message. I reckon it has to do with one of LG services running in the background. The U+ services is also suspect.

There's definitely another pathway. I never signed up for anything. Bedtime for me, I have an early meeting in the morning. I can help later on tomorrow.

yongkykun

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
There's definitely another pathway. I never signed up for anything. Bedtime for me, I have an early meeting in the morning. I can help later on tomorrow.

Cool, thanks.

But you are right. There has to be a misstep somewhere. I've even tried unsubscribing from all LG services even to the point of deleting my LG account but still, the quick help keeps asking me to login to an account. Btw, on mine, there is only 1 checkbox instead of 3 as in your case.

Curious.

Is yours V300L?

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
So why did you get a Korean version of the phone? International travel?

I love love the B&O sound signature that's always available for the Korean models. I also hate having to wait around for the US carriers to get their hands on the phone after the launch date in South Korea. If the South Korean models are compatible with the US carrier bands, then there's no reason for me to stick to the US carriers. The South Korean models not only ship out first, but they also come in all the available colors. There's really no compromise. :)

irvine752

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Cool, thanks.

But you are right. There has to be a misstep somewhere. I've even tried unsubscribing from all LG services even to the point of deleting my LG account but still, the quick help keeps asking me to login to an account. Btw, on mine, there is only 1 checkbox instead of 3 as in your case.

Curious.

Is yours V300L?

Yep, I also have the V300L, but all South Korean models are eligible for the preview.

I tried to retrace my steps, but I can't seem to get the same set of options back. I had everything highlighted & Google Translate doing the hard work with the VPN set to South Korea just in case Quick Help was running a location filter. I'm guessing since I already signed for the preview, I won't be able to re-apply for the preview. I would keep checking on the XDA threads for someone to post the steps (since you're already asking on there).

Worst case scenario, you could always wait till LG starts pushing out the official patch at the end of December.

Last edited: