01-18-2018 11:22 AM
30 12
tools
    I've had my V30 for 12 days now and overall I really don't have any complaints but it's really not that different and isn't a huge upgrade from the V20 and I feel it's a little over priced for what it is. I'm debating on whether to return it or keep it, have till Thursday to make up my mind. Anyone else on here came from a V20, thoughts? Opinions?
    jay-h-1 likes this.
    12-05-2017 07:05 PM
    I've had my V30 for 12 days now and overall I really don't have any complaints but it's really not that different and isn't a huge upgrade from the V20 and I feel it's a little over priced for what it is. I'm debating on whether to return it or keep it, have till Thursday to make up my mind. Anyone else on here came from a V20, thoughts? Opinions?
    Same thoughts I had.
    Love the dedicated screen on top of the v20.
    Love the IR blaster and removable battery
    Water resistant is nice but much harder to fix phone and fragile.
    Wireless is ok but creates heat in phone and have to buy special chargers.
    I like the OLED....but IPS is proven Rock solid.
    In the end, it was v20 for me, durable,proven,battery, IR blaster, dedicated screen and less than half price of the very best black Friday v30 price.
    Very happy with my choice.
    12-06-2017 09:49 PM
    Same thoughts I had.
    Love the dedicated screen on top of the v20.
    Love the IR blaster and removable battery
    Water resistant is nice but much harder to fix phone and fragile.
    Wireless is ok but creates heat in phone and have to buy special chargers.
    I like the OLED....but IPS is proven Rock solid.
    In the end, it was v20 for me, durable,proven,battery, IR blaster, dedicated screen and less than half price of the very best black Friday v30 price.
    Very happy with my choice.
    Same here I'm just going to keep my V20, returned my V30 today. I'm pretty happy with the phone the battery life was really good on my V30 but having a spare battery it takes a minute to swap them. Other than the battery life on the V30 it wasn't worth the $799, I got my V20 six months ago used for $300. I really couldn't see the V30 being worth it and I'm sure by summer they'll be on Swappa for $400 or less.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    12-06-2017 10:40 PM
    I still have my V20 ( and V10) But my V30 is the best.... I thought that not having the removable battery would be a problem but it has not been. The V30's battery life is great and Wireless charging is FANTASTIC.
    I too thought I'd miss the second screen but for me the floating screen works better, easier to access.
    I do sort of miss the ips screen as I feel it has better colors but it a non-issue.

I'm sold on my V30. But as I noted, still have my older V's as back ups.
    V30 lover here.
    Lateck,
    12-07-2017 05:09 AM
    I had a V10 that bootlooped a few weeks ago. Although LG is repairing it under warranty (had it for 18 months), I wanted to avoid the hassle of moving my private and work accounts to a different phone, then back again. So I purchased a new V30 a few hours after the V10 died.

Other than the bootloop the V10 was doing everything that I needed. For my needs, the primary benefit of the V30 is improved video. I have some video projects coming up and will try to use the V30 instead of a Canon video camera that costs 15x as much.

For most users I doubt an upgrade from V20 to V30 is worth it.
    12-07-2017 11:17 AM
    I have the V20 and was strongly considering a V30 but finally decided not to after testing it out in person. Camera looked better but it was nothing very significant. What really annoyed me was the curved screen, there was no way I would be able to install a glass screen protector and use it properly. I do like to protect my screens because phone's glass screens don't age very well and they quickly become scratched up and look ugly, and I do tend to keep my electronics for a very long time. Wet install screen protectors really kill the experience so I decided to stick with the V20 for now, which in fact still has more features than its predecessor (removable battery, IR blaster, durable metal build quality, flat screen, IPS LCD screen that won't burn in). Maybe I'll consider a V30 after a price slash, but by that time the G7 and V40 would be out, hopefully with the Snapdragon 845 (not impressed with the G6's 820 processor).
    12-07-2017 12:07 PM
    I have the V20 and was strongly considering a V30 but finally decided not to after testing it out in person. Camera looked better but it was nothing very significant. What really annoyed me was the curved screen, there was no way I would be able to install a glass screen protector and use it properly. I do like to protect my screens because phone's glass screens don't age very well and they quickly become scratched up and look ugly, and I do tend to keep my electronics for a very long time. Wet install screen protectors really kill the experience so I decided to stick with the V20 for now, which in fact still has more features than its predecessor (removable battery, IR blaster, durable metal build quality, flat screen, IPS LCD screen that won't burn in). Maybe I'll consider a V30 after a price slash, but by that time the G7 and V40 would be out, hopefully with the Snapdragon 845 (not impressed with the G6's 820 processor).
    You may not "need" a V30, but the glass protector shouldn't be an issue for anyone if the curved screen is a concern. I bought a tempered glass protector from Amazon (LG V30 Screen Protector, Wtbone ) - very easy to put on and goes almost all the way to the edge. Works great with a Spigen and likely any case.The black border is pretty awesome. Screen protectors have come a long way.
    12-08-2017 10:04 AM
    I traded my V10 for the V30 and like it so far. I'm thinking of picking up a new V20 as a back up.
    12-08-2017 10:05 AM
    I still have my V20 and plan on updating to a V30 after the price begins to fall (I suspect after the holidays). The V20 has been a great phone but the reduced weight of the V30 is what I like about the updated version.
    12-08-2017 11:02 AM
    You may not "need" a V30, but the glass protector shouldn't be an issue for anyone if the curved screen is a concern. I bought a tempered glass protector from Amazon (LG V30 Screen Protector, Wtbone ) - very easy to put on and goes almost all the way to the edge. Works great with a Spigen and likely any case.The black border is pretty awesome. Screen protectors have come a long way.
    It's probably not a "full adhesive" screen protector is it? A lot of curved full screen protectors only gets glued on the edges and float on top. Many still complain able the touch sensitivity, how is it? Do you have to press very hard?
    12-08-2017 08:27 PM
    I still have my V20 and plan on updating to a V30 after the price begins to fall (I suspect after the holidays). The V20 has been a great phone but the reduced weight of the V30 is what I like about the updated version.
    Same here. The better 13mp wide angle, slimmer form factor, and AMOLED screen.
    VoodooMagnetman likes this.
    12-08-2017 08:28 PM
    It's probably not a "full adhesive" screen protector is it? A lot of curved full screen protectors only gets glued on the edges and float on top. Many still complain able the touch sensitivity, how is it? Do you have to press very hard?
    The adhesive is over the entire protector. I know because it took two tries - missed a piece of dust. Using the protector did not decrease sensitivity. I think there are many sold by different sellers so no need to pick up the one I reference. In the Amazon listing reviews search for the word "sensitivity."
    12-08-2017 10:23 PM
    i like the v20, but would like the lighter weight and size of the newer v30.
    does $300 off make it worth the upgrade?
    12-11-2017 11:34 PM
    i like the v20, but would like the lighter weight and size of the newer v30.
    does $300 off make it worth the upgrade?
    If you consider the price and differences, the answer is no. The V20 is nearly the same as the V30 with a few small upgrades such as with water resistance, bezelless design, and better wide angle camera. If those features matter then you should go for it. Also If you have the extra cash to spend then I'd say go for it.

I want to upgrade because of the slimmer design and the 13MP wide angle camera.
    12-12-2017 01:56 AM
    If you consider the price and differences, the answer is no. The V20 is nearly the same as the V30 with a few small upgrades such as with water resistance, bezelless design, and better wide angle camera. If those features matter then you should go for it. Also If you have the extra cash to spend then I'd say go for it.

well, i just couldnt resist. bought the v30 today with verizon's $300 off deal.
    12-12-2017 04:11 PM
    How do you find the rounded edge of the V30 compared to the flat one of the V20?

Posted via the Android Central App
    12-12-2017 04:40 PM
    How do you find the rounded edge of the V30 compared to the flat one of the V20?

Posted via the Android Central App
    the curved edge is barely noticeable in a case.
    12-12-2017 07:10 PM
    the curved edge is barely noticeable in a case.
    Exactly. And the curved screen not a problem with screen protectors.
    12-17-2017 08:23 AM
    Exactly. And the curved screen not a problem with screen protectors.
    Yeah it is with glass screen protectors, manufacturers are having a hard time designing one that works well without problems.
    12-18-2017 06:43 PM
    Had the V20 and now I have the V30.
    I really like the size of the V30, it's a lot more manageable. Camera is improved. Found a glass screen protector on eBay for $2 and it works great. Also the Lumion case on Amazon for $4 with code is superb. Overall ergonomics are better than the V20.

I had the G6 as well and I prefer the V30 more.
    12-18-2017 11:12 PM
    Same here I'm just going to keep my V20, returned my V30 today. I'm pretty happy with the phone the battery life was really good on my V30 but having a spare battery it takes a minute to swap them. Other than the battery life on the V30 it wasn't worth the $799, I got my V20 six months ago used for $300. I really couldn't see the V30 being worth it and I'm sure by summer they'll be on Swappa for $400 or less.
    I agree with you that the V20 is a solid phone. Glad you are enjoying it! And that's so true - flagship phones will eventually go down in price if you wait long enough; and then you can snag them for a bargain.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-20-2017 09:09 AM
    There is one bug that I am disappointed to say still exists on the V30 - it existed on the V20 (Nougat), but did not exist on the V10 (Marshmallow). I was hoping either LG or AT&T would have resolved this on the V30, and I'm still hoping they will fix it on the V30 in Oreo (if it ever gets Oreo).

The bug is - certain operations that require an internet connection don't happen until the phone is woken up. It's not restricted to a single app. I have tried disabling battery optimization for a couple of apps (Life360 and GroupMe) but they both still suffer from this problem - notifications of incoming messages (GroupMe) and notifications of left/arrived home (Life360) often don't come in until I hit the power button to wake the phone.

I'm not sure if there is an OS component that also needs to be exempted from battery optimizations. I have a feeling this is related to doze(?) mode, but I think I'm already trying the right approach to disabling it - in the battery optimizations settings.
    12-27-2017 12:55 PM
    Got the V30 yesterday. Upgrading from V20, which was upgraded from a V10.

I am mad at the world for not demanding features like removable battery and IR blaster. The second screen is NOT replaced with this floating widget, especially because it does not have recent apps. That was my primary use for the second screen. Just like it was on the note Edge I used to have. I would have preferred if they kept the phone phablet sized with these minimal bezels. I didn't want a smaller phone.

With that out of the way, I love this phone. The screen looks great. Let's hope it doesn't get burn in like my Samsung phones did. I spend about 1-2 hours in my car every day, and my screen is always on Waze during that time. I like the peace of mind of having a water resistant phone. I have not played around too much with the camera yet, but it's definitely snappier.

My girlfriend has a G6 and she is already jealous of some of the little things the V30 has that hers doesn't. Like the screen off functionality of being able to turn on the flashlight, Wi-Fi and such.

All the themes in LG Smart world that my girlfriend could get on her G6 seem to finally be available for this V30, such as Golden Elephant 2, which I suppose was somehow not compatible with the V20 aspect ratio.

I actually prefer the way the G6 feels in the hand. Build quality and materials on both V30 and G6 are top notch, but I prefer the smoother edges of the G6. The V30 had a sharp edge where the glass and metal meet. The V20 was too slippery.

I use the manual controls with the audio gains on the V20 all the time, as I go to alot of concerts. I can't wait to see how the V30 fares when it uses the earpiece as mic under loud volume. I like how the wide angle camera has less distortion and better resolution, but it comes at the expense of giving up a bit of the wide angle range.

I hope the reviewers are correct they this phone does not slow down over time, because the V20 sometimes crawled, making me miss photo and video opportunities. The only way to get my V20 fast again was to factory reset.

I like the quick facial recognition, but I'm so used to fingerprint unlock already. Let's see if my usage changes as a result.

Now here's the problem. I woke up today and found the phone at 65% charge. The same QC 3.0 charger I used for my V20. Yesterday when I got the phone it charged fine. Now today even with the supplied charger it doesn't even hit 400mA charge rate according to Ampere. I took it to work (Fry's Electronics) and tried the phone with many different combinations of wireless chargers, powerbanks and cables. Turns out the phone does not even want to quick charge now. And it does not like any powerbank OR car charger at all, charging very slowly. I did notice last night on the vehicle QC 3.0 quick charger the phone was losing battery level while navigating.

This is not the way I wanted to move over to a sealed battery phone, after having 9 generations of phones with removable batteries and standalone spare chargers. I'm going to the AT&T store to see about swapping the phone out and calling this an unfortunate coincidence as I have seen no widespread reports of charging issues.

Update:

After they tried to charge me a $45 restocking fee at the AT&T corporate store I bought my last 4 phones from, I went to a different store yesterday morning and they swapped me out. This phone now charges properly.

This is making it hard for me to have faith in LG, because my girlfriends G6 had to be sent in for bad memory last month, and my V10 before my V20 had the bootloop. Thankful for the second year promise.

Anyone know what the warranty on the battery is?
    01-04-2018 02:52 PM
    I upgraded to LG V30 from the V20. I really like the V30. The V30 is easier to hold because physical size is smaller. I thought I would miss the second display on the V20. I don't. I much prefer the V30 for watching videos in landscape mode. Full edge to edge video. Did not have that with the V20 because of the second display area was blacked out or left notch in display. The OLED display to me on the V30 is better than the IPS on the V20. Battery life on the V30 is also better than on my V20.
    01-05-2018 02:44 AM

I tried the phone for a week or so, not much of an upgrade from the V20. I did like the smaller form factor and the OS seemed smoother. I will buy it again once the price goes down.
    01-05-2018 10:24 AM
30 12