Anyone here use no screen protector on the V30? Hows it holding up?

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
I have always used screen protectors, but I have not been happy with the protectors available for the V30 (every one I have tried has some kind of orange peel effect, and all the the glass protectors I have looked into have dot matrix, don't go full screen, rainbow effect, etc. all of which I can't stand).

I have been using a Xioami Mi A1 over the last few weeks and it's holding up pretty well...not one scratch. I'll be getting a new V30 back in the mail tomorrow.

How are the V30s holding up for those of you who go naked screen?

I'm also open to suggestions for screen protectors that have zero orange peel effect.

Thanks!

wdblevin

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I bought this: LG V30 TechSkin Screen Protector

POSITIVES: The protector has no orange-peel, no bubbles, and excellent sensitivity.
NEGATIVE: It is labeled as 'Case Friendly', but one side of the edge near my case is slightly lifted, but I just use my nail to tuck it back under the edge. The company did tell me to try to apply the second skin (that came in the package) and use a hair-dryer to promote its adhesion to the edges better.

I am tough on my phone, as well as live/play in a sandy environment plus work with chemicals, so I don't expect many screen protectors to be able to accommodate those challenges. When the skinomi drives me crazy enough, I'll just put on the other skin.

Dimas de Leon

Aug 22, 2016
Visit site
I have never used a screen protector on my phones and I have never had a significant scratch any of my phones. Somehow, the V30, not sure how it happened but within two weeks I had a 3/4 inch scratch. So I'm using a screen protector on it now.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
No screen protector on my V30 nor any other smart phone.
Got the V30 on Oct 13; all is great.
While I do not baby the phone, it is treated like an expensive tool.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I ordered an iCarez glass one just to try, but I'm not optimistic.

I had to go on eBay to grab the Skinomi protectors, but it could be after Christmas before it arrives. I'll try it and let you folks know how it works out for me.

yongkykun

Nov 22, 2017
Visit site
My V30+ screen is not using any at the moment but if you want one, I think you ought to try this...

15780427_ebfa7372-74fd-4adb-b628-ff01a10f380d_1400_1400.jpg

It envelops the screen and its lips go to the sides of the phone all the way to about 1/5 of the back of the phone thus ensuring it covers edge to edge horizontally and prevents the screen protector from sliding over time and definitely won't get damaged by any type of case you may want to put on/over it.

Comes in 2, tried 1 but got some dust in it so I had to take it off. Will try to put the other one on. But in the time I had the first one, the screen still looks good and doesn't affect the screen's sensitivity. Slightly blueish though, which is its downside.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have always used screen protectors, but I have not been happy with the protectors available for the V30 (every one I have tried has some kind of orange peel effect, and all the the glass protectors I have looked into have dot matrix, don't go full screen, rainbow effect, etc. all of which I can't stand).

I have been using a Xioami Mi A1 over the last few weeks and it's holding up pretty well...not one scratch. I'll be getting a new V30 back in the mail tomorrow.

I'm also open to suggestions for screen protectors that have zero orange peel effect.

Thanks!

I don't suggest going naked. I've seen a co-worker's Pixel 2 XL and the screen looked scuffed up already. Have you tried a brand called RinoGear RinoSkin for the V30?

Screenshot_2017-12-07-22-46-20-1.jpg

[2-PACK] LG V30 Screen Protector (Edge-to-Edge) [Military-Grade] RinoGear Premium HD Invisible Clear Shield Anti-Bubble https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CB3XN...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6099893

I have this brand on my Gear Fit2. It's a wet install screen protector but it has absolutely no orange peel effect and feels extremely smooth, almost like glass, I was very impressed actually. Most scratches and dings automatically heal. It's using a hybrid material that's better than the ugly orange peel ones like IQ Shield. It's worth a try, doesn't cost much. Installation is a breeze. Below is a example of the RinoSkin on my Fit2. Let me know how it goes if you do try it. I'm planning to get this once I do get a V30.

20171204_121242.jpg20171204_121303.jpg

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
I have never used a screen protector on anything, including my handheld Nintendo gaming devices that use styluses, and they have all held up really well with little to no remarkable scratching.

I love the naked look of the V30 and I can't help but think that if my Lumia 640 could take a few unfortunate tumbles (with a case) without a screen protector and emerge fine, then a better phone ought to, too.

But if I were smart...

... I really dislike that tacky feel, though.

Germanguy#AC

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I don't suggest going naked. I've seen a co-worker's Pixel 2 XL and the screen looked scuffed up already. Have you tried a brand called RinoGear RinoSkin for the V30?

View attachment 275328

[2-PACK] LG V30 Screen Protector (Edge-to-Edge) [Military-Grade] RinoGear Premium HD Invisible Clear Shield Anti-Bubble https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CB3XN...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6100220

I have this brand on my Gear Fit2. It's a wet install screen protector but it has absolutely no orange peel effect and feels extremely smooth, almost like glass, I was very impressed actually. Most scratches and dings automatically heal. It's using a hybrid material that's better than the ugly orange peel ones like IQ Shield. It's worth a try, doesn't cost much. Installation is a breeze. Below is a example of the RinoSkin on my Fit2. Let me know how it goes if you do try it. I'm planning to get this once I do get a V30.

View attachment 275326View attachment 275327
I read the reviews for this screen protector for the Galaxy S8 and it does not sound very promising.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6100220

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
I take very good care of my phones, and when I had a V10 got two very light scratches. Got a screen protector and never looked back. My V30 has had a glass screen protector installed since day 3. There's literally no downside other than the $9 and 5 minutes it took to install. Screen protectors are getting better over time -- ease of intallation. The low cost ones with a black border on Amazon, etc are pretty great!

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have not used a screen protector since back in my HTC days (3 phones ago), and I won't. They are more trouble than they are worth, and I have yet to have GG fail me with tons of visible scratches.

Sure, microscratches happen and will build up, but I take good care of my phone and they are never enough to bother me. I've only ever had one deep scratch (that caught my fingernail) and that was after owning my Razr Maxx for almost 2 years. I dropped it at the beach (I don't use my phones at the beach, and only did this time because it was old).

My V30 has a tiny microscratch, and that's it. I won't be using a screen protector.

In full disclosure, I do have a small mesh/microfiber bag that I put my phone in when it's in my pocket. I assume that helps keep the screen safe in said pocket.

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site

View attachment 275328

[2-PACK] LG V30 Screen Protector (Edge-to-Edge) [Military-Grade] RinoGear Premium HD Invisible Clear Shield Anti-Bubble https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075CB3XN...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6100319

View attachment 275326View attachment 275327

That looks like something I could live with but does not look like its available in Canada.

I miss the Spigen Curved Crystal HD. Been using it on my curved glass phones for a while and loved them. This looks like a similar product.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site

Thanks!

I've never used a screen protector. Never had an issue. I am anal about taking care of my phones. My v30 has been in my possession since launch. So far, no issues.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I have not used a screen protector since back in my HTC days (3 phones ago), and I won't. They are more trouble than they are worth, and I have yet to have GG fail me with tons of visible scratches.

Sure, microscratches happen and will build up, but I take good care of my phone and they are never enough to bother me. I've only ever had one deep scratch (that caught my fingernail) and that was after owning my Razr Maxx for almost 2 years. I dropped it at the beach (I don't use my phones at the beach, and only did this time because it was old).

My V30 has a tiny microscratch, and that's it. I won't be using a screen protector.

In full disclosure, I do have a small mesh/microfiber bag that I put my phone in when it's in my pocket. I assume that helps keep the screen safe in said pocket.

I like to just throw my phone around and use it without being paranoid or let kids play games on it. Below is a work phone that have seen better days. I like to keep my devices for a long time. If I do resell my phone, I usually get the best value as well since the phone is in brand new condition.

IMG_20171129_195656.jpg

chriskwarren

Oct 4, 2015
Visit site
My new replacement V30 had issues as well, and the 2XL went on an incredible sale so I jumped ship and got the 2XL. I walked into a Best Buy and had them pop a Zagg HD glass protector on it and it looks good. I think they put it on slightly off-centre, so I may ask them to put another on lol. If this one releases for the V30 I do recommend it as it looks great with no dot matrix, and works with cases on the Pixel.

tardus

May 26, 2014
Visit site
Soo... basically there isn't any "good" screen protector out there for V30/V30+ as of yet?

Two weeks and the glass screen protector that I mentioned from Amazon is still holding up great. I don't understand the issue with screen protectors not reaching/covering 100%. 99% or whatever is fine, My prior two phone's protectors were also a tiny bit from the edge, and those weren't curved. I would have a difficult time installing if it did go to the very edge..

Two weeks and still holding up great. Fine for gaming and anything I can throw at it. The black border frame thing makes it VERY easy to position install. Cheap - $10 or less, price bounces around.

evlarberryman

Jan 11, 2016
Visit site
no screen protector on my V30 and no issues despite a few corner and face drops. this thing is pretty tough compared to the S8 I had. some very light scratches from keys in my pocket, etc. but only noticeable in bright light with screen off.