Does the V30 send and receive MMS messages (pictures, GIFs etc) while connected to WiFi?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

I previously had an S8+ and the phone would NOT send MMS messages while connected to a WiFi network. I went through multiple tech calls with ATT and even contacted Samsung and nothing would fix it. I really want away from Apple and want to get the V30 but not if I’ll run into the same issues as I did with the S8+. I need to be able to send MMS messages while connected to WiFi.

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
re:

I previously had an S8+ and the phone would NOT send MMS messages while connected to a WiFi network. I went through multiple tech calls with ATT and even contacted Samsung and nothing would fix it. I really want away from Apple and want to get the V30 but not if I’ll run into the same issues as I did with the S8+. I need to be able to send MMS messages while connected to WiFi.

Hello there!

I'm really hoping that other V30 owners will also give their responses (because I suspect this might be an issue also related to carrier and not just phone, but as far as I know, I AM able to send MMS while on wi-fi.

Then again, I'm on T-Mobile and my carrier provides VoLTE and wi-fi calling. In which case, MMS over wi-fi might end up being a carrier thing.

I'll check again and update you so we can be doubly sure.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
re:

Welcome to the forums! Not sure if this is region-dependent as well as carrier-dependent; but here in Canada, data needs to be turned on to send MMS messages - at least, with my carrier and those of others, like Bell.

It would be nice for this to not be a thing, though; as I'm very cheap with my data and don't like the idea of sending MMS messages which will affect my usage.

shnngns

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
re:

Welcome to the forums! Not sure if this is region-dependent as well as carrier-dependent; but here in Canada, data needs to be turned on to send MMS messages - at least, with my carrier and those of others, like Bell.

It would be nice for this to not be a thing, though; as I'm very cheap with my data and don't like the idea of sending MMS messages which will affect my usage.

Thanks for the welcome! Even when I Google it I can’t seem to find a trend or common searches like I can with the Samsung phones.

I am on AT&T and had them trying to help me with my S8+ and they kept insisting it’s supposed to work. They eventually took the phone back even though it was outside of their return day policy. I’m just trying to avoid that again...

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
re:

Thanks for the welcome! Even when I Google it I can’t seem to find a trend or common searches like I can with the Samsung phones.

I am on AT&T and had them trying to help me with my S8+ and they kept insisting it’s supposed to work. They eventually took the phone back even though it was outside of their return day policy. I’m just trying to avoid that again...

I can definitely understand why you'd want to avoid that happening again! I'm sure other V30 owners will chime in soon with more "in-hand" answers!

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
re:

Hi again!

Sorry for the wait, but yes, I was able to confirm that I AM able to receive MMS through wi-fi on this phone. My coworker MMSed me by sending me photos via SMS / MMS. I was on wi-fi only and the multiple images were all received.

Something to consider: I'm on T-Mobile and my carrier provides wi-fi calling which includes - or should include - MMS over wi-fi.

So, the V30 is capable of MMS over wi-fi. But like @Morty2264 said, this may be a question that has to be settled by your / the mobile carrier.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
re:

So, the V30 is capable of MMS over wi-fi. But like @Morty2264 said, this may be a question that has to be settled by your / the mobile carrier.

Wow, the system lost my response from yesterday....

Yes, the LG V30 can do SMS and MMS over wifi when wifi-calling is turned on.

Unfortunately, your carrier plays a roll here. With AT&T, only SMS works on wifi-calling; MMS (photos or long text) requires mobile data.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Wow, the system lost my response from yesterday....

Yes, the LG V30 can do SMS and MMS over wifi when wifi-calling is turned on.

Unfortunately, your carrier plays a roll here. With AT&T, only SMS works on wifi-calling; MMS (photos or long text) requires mobile data.

Does it? I know with T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon when you use WiFi calling it can send MMS over WiFi.

shnngns

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Thanks everyone for all your responses! I’ve convinced myself with your help to make the jump and I’ll be picking up my new V30 tonight.

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Re:

Does it? I know with T-Mobile, Sprint, and Verizon when you use WiFi calling it can send MMS over WiFi.

I thought I could send MMS over ATT, too, but my last set of tests for this thread all failed while trying lots of settings changes. I remember being able to do so previously, but maybe I am not remembering correctly.

Edit:
Looks like it is Textra that is causing the MMS failure on wifi-calling. If I switch back to the default "messaging" app, MMS does go through on ATT wifi-calling.

Last edited:

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

I thought I could send MMS over ATT, too, but my last set of tests for this thread all failed while trying lots of settings changes. I remember being able to do so previously, but maybe I am not remembering correctly.

Edit:
Looks like it is Textra that is causing the MMS failure on wifi-calling. If I switch back to the default "messaging" app, MMS does go through on ATT wifi-calling.

In which case, I guess I should add to my post that I was and am using the V30's default messaging app.

Aithan

Dec 7, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Actually, I discovered while on the T-Mo forums for something else that some people with the Samsung phones were complaining of the same thing.

It makes me think that maybe there's some setting in the device that was / is interfering somehow.

Then again, some of them were using Textra which @ManiacJoe just talked about.

shnngns

Apr 18, 2017
Visit site
Re:

Actually, I discovered while on the T-Mo forums for something else that some people with the Samsung phones were complaining of the same thing.

It makes me think that maybe there's some setting in the device that was / is interfering somehow.

Then again, some of them were using Textra which @ManiacJoe just talked about.

During my research while having the S8+ I came across someone saying that there seemed to be an issue with the phone switching between cellular data and WiFi when sending and receiving MMS while connected to a WiFi network. I don’t know how much truth is in that but I tried every setting I could find. I even tried other messaging apps. For some reason the stock Samsung messenger wouldn’t work at all, but I could get other messenger apps to somewhat work.

Thanks all for the replies. I wasn’t able to pick the phone up tonight so I’m hoping tomorrow!