I recently started having some difficulties with using my fingerprint to unlock.

Basically, it hasn't been consistently unlocking. However, there have been no reported errors, either.

I reset my fingerprint unlock and submitted new prints and discovered something strange.

When I used finger number 1, there was no problem setting it up all and there were no errors. But when I used finger number 2 whose print was coincidentally giving me trouble, I triggered multiple fingerprint sensor needs to be cleaned errors which I had never seen before.

I cleaned it, but I'm confused now because I seem to be having the same issue again. Yay for finger 1 and nay for finger 2.

Does this mean that it's actually my finger that's the problem and not the sensor? Can the sensor differentiate between a sensor problem and a finger problem?

What should I do?
    12-27-2017 03:24 PM
    It could definitely be your finger. Try using a different finger for #2 and see if your results are the same.
    Aithan likes this.
    12-27-2017 05:00 PM
    It could definitely be your finger. Try using a different finger for #2 and see if your results are the same.
    Sorry for taking so long to check in, but here is my conclusion.

Essentially, it appears to be a combination of my fingers and the sensor itself.

The fingers that I was trying to use ultimately make really faint prints and because of the weather, they were also dry. On top of that, they're also of the smallish size.

In regards to the fingerprint sensor, it is somewhat sensitive to sizing and so if there's space between finger and the sensor's rim, it tends to take repeated tries to make sure the entire finger has been printed.

So, faint prints and dry fingers and sizing = potential iffiness with sensor reading.

(I noticed that you accidentally? triggered a hashtag. Can I hashtag my posts to keep track of topics?)
    01-06-2018 11:52 AM
    LOL It was an accident, and I'm not sure about keeping track of topics.
    I have a scar on my right index finger and can never reliably use that finger for any security functions.
    01-06-2018 12:44 PM