I'm debating on weather to buy this phone. I do not doubt the great things it has to offer.
    I would like to know how the call quality is on both ends. To me its still a phone to make calls on and as business man having great call quality is a must.
    Does the quad DAC audio make any difference in the calls made? I have had phones where talking to people in some noisy environments have been horrible from my end. I own a note 5 right now and I'm on verizon. Thank you!
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-07-2018 11:43 AM
    I'm debating on weather to buy this phone. I do not doubt the great things it has to offer.
    I would like to know how the call quality is on both ends. To me its still a phone to make calls on and as business man having great call quality is a must.
    Does the quad DAC audio make any difference in the calls made? I have had phones where talking to people in some noisy environments have been horrible from my end. I own a note 5 right now and I'm on verizon. Thank you!
    Call quality is exceptional.
    Phone as 3mics for great quality.
    01-07-2018 02:41 PM
    I saw a noticeable improvement going from a S7 edge to the V30.
    01-08-2018 08:01 AM
    Thank you for asking this question, OP! Phones are still phones - we use them to talk to others (at least, some of the time 🤣); so we need to know how call quality is on them as well!
    01-09-2018 07:55 AM
    No complaints here! I just finished a call via Wi-Fi (I'm on T-mobile) and even with the less than ideal reception, the call was still crystal clear.

Personally, I DO feel like the DAC makes a difference in terms of phone calls and actually, without background noise suppression re: noisy places, it has a bit of a stereo quality to it.

The phone offers both background suppression and voice clarity enhancement and in my experience, both features work.

Interestingly, the vocal enhancement + background noise / sound effects mirror the music player settings' vocal enhancement effects.

I listen to live performance recordings and the vocal enhancement feature works a treat to isolate the vocals better while dampening down the excitement of the audience.

If I could share this with you, I would, but I can't, so I'm hoping that maybe you'll get to test a device - maybe at a carrier store? - before buying so you can listen for yourself.

I agree; a phone is a phone and one of the biggest things I was looking out for myself was sound quality because I live in an area with not so great reception and the last thing I need besides dropped calls is for the caller and/or myself to be become indistinguishable on the other line.
    01-09-2018 08:47 AM
    1. The DAC only works on sound coming from the phone, not for sound going into the phone, so it makes no difference to the person you're talking to. (And a decent equalizer, like Precise Volume (+ EQ/Booster) can do wonders for even a phone without decent receive audio [I'm extremely hard of hearing, and it makes phone calls a pleasure again.].)

2. How strong the carrier's signal is (or the Wifi signal is on T-Mobile Wifi calls or Hangout Dialer calls) is a lot more important to call quality than the phone. Although Verizon covers more people than the other 3 carriers, it doesn't cover more area, so if you happen to be in an area with bad coverage, your calls are going to be noisy, "go digital" (which, on Verizon or Sprint means they'll sound as if you were under water), etc.

Always choose the carrier first, based on the coverage in the spots you need coverage (and, if you need coverage in an entire city, drive around for a day with your new phone and carrier and check out loads of spots all over the place), then choose from the phones that will work with that carrier. Choosing the phone first, then choosing a carrier that sells that phone (which is what a lot of people do) leaves a lot of people complaining about the phone when it's really the coverage that's causing the problem.

As for a lot of loud background noise, no phone is designed to handle that. Some hands-free devices (both Bluetooth and wired) handle it better than others, but with devices coming into the market and going off the market so rapidly, you have to find a store that will let you return the device if it doesn't block background noise (Walmart is pretty good with that, and has a pretty good selection, and the same is true of Amazon), so that you can find one that does. My Motorola 850 (Bluetooth) does a pretty decent job, but it hasn't been sold in years. What looks like its replacement (which hasn't been sold in years either), the 720, can pick up a shout from a block away. So you really have to try them. (And don't go by price - I've heard that some of the cheapest Bluetooth headsets, like $12 ones, seem to drop dead on pickup about 2 feet from the headset, but the user's voice sounds, to the other party, as if it was right in his ear.)
    Aithan likes this.
    01-09-2018 04:18 PM
    In a word, exceptional
    01-19-2018 10:37 PM
    Calls on the V30 come in crystal clear. I'm coming from a galaxy S7 edge and the V30 is superior. No the dac has nothing to do with call quality. In order for the dac to work, you must be listening to music or whatever through wired headphones or wired speaker. Hi res will not go through on Bluetooth, although I'm sure they're working on it for the future this is why all iphones, and other devices that eliminated the 3.5mm jack cannot, correctly reproduce high resolution music files. You can get an app to play them, but you're not hearing them in high resolution. I sincerely hope and pray that LG continues to keep audiophiles in mind with future phones. If not, I'll have to go back to carrying a separate high resolution dap. By the way, the 32bit ESS Sabre quad dac in the V30 is of the very best quality. Most separate dacs only go to 24bit which is very good, but not the crystal clarity that the ESS dacs provide.
    01-26-2018 07:23 AM
    Call quality should be good on Verizon without issue, OP .
    djdougd likes this.
    01-29-2018 02:52 PM