01-19-2018 06:46 PM
28 12
tools
    I have never could figure out why 800 phones wouldn't have the best Launchers and Text applications on their phones.
    01-09-2018 06:57 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I do not own a V30, but I almost always change up my texting application. I dabble with launchers but I normally just switch up the theme on my phone from time to time.

I am a heavy and passionate Textra user - I have the Pro version (inexpensive and worth every penny) and love the customization options and the look. You can change everything from the text bubble shape and colour to assigning specific notifications per contact when they message you.

As far as themes go, I am currently using the Pixel theme that I found from my Huawei/Honor theme store app.

I agree with you, though: the stock messaging apps on phones don't often impress me. I'll keep 'em for a while but I always know I'll come back to Textra.
    rfan8312 and EgretOwl2 like this.
    01-09-2018 07:50 AM
    Texting application, yes, since I'm on Verizon and they typically default to VZW messaging apps.

Launcher, no. Just never something I've felt the need to do.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-09-2018 08:03 AM
    Texting application, yes, since I'm on Verizon and they typically default to VZW messaging apps.

Launcher, no. Just never something I've felt the need to do.
    What texting app do you use?
    01-09-2018 08:10 AM
    What texting app do you use?
    Google Messages. Works well for my needs.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-09-2018 08:22 AM
    Google Messages. Works well for my needs.
    Awesome! Great choice!
    01-09-2018 08:31 AM
    I'm on T-Mobile and generally speaking, aside from adding Wi-Fi calling and related features, there is little carrier-related changes (though they can be slower on updates).

That said, I like the default LG launcher just fine (I use the Home option without the App Drawer) and I also use the default apps if at all possible (if they don't work as they should, that's another story entirely) to avoid potential complications.

I own a Windows Phone and I own a Surface Pro 3 and I love the live tiles / Metro look and so I like to 'design' my Home screens using a combination of wallpapers, important apps, and pinned / widgetized images and the like.
    jasqid likes this.
    01-09-2018 08:59 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I do not own a V30, but I almost always change up my texting application. I dabble with launchers but I normally just switch up the theme on my phone from time to time.

I am a heavy and passionate Textra user - I have the Pro version (inexpensive and worth every penny) and love the customization options and the look. You can change everything from the text bubble shape and colour to assigning specific notifications per contact when they message you.

As far as themes go, I am currently using the Pixel theme that I found from my Huawei/Honor theme store app.

I agree with you, though: the stock messaging apps on phones don't often impress me. I'll keep 'em for a while but I always know I'll come back to Textra.
    1st thing I do on a new phone is install textra. My favorite thing is it can be set to only show mobile numbers. since I can't text a landline, why would I want to send a text to it. most default apps don't seem to do that.
    EgretOwl2 and Morty2264 like this.
    01-09-2018 12:48 PM
    1st thing I do on a new phone is install textra. My favorite thing is it can be set to only show mobile numbers. since I can't text a landline, why would I want to send a text to it. most default apps don't seem to do that.
    Textra is a great app, for sure!
    01-09-2018 03:11 PM
    I use Android messages and Microsoft Launcher
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-09-2018 09:17 PM
    Nova Launcher and Textra user here. I just love the customization.
    Morty2264 and EgretOwl2 like this.
    01-09-2018 09:54 PM
    Nova Launcher and default applications.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-09-2018 10:33 PM
    I'm on the V20 (close enough, eh?), and I'm always the odd man out here. I use Handcent for texting because of all the customizing options, and Next 3D for the launcher because of the cool 3D effects (expensive though! ).
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-09-2018 10:51 PM
    Coming from Nexus devices, I am prone to the stock experience. The LG Laucher is ok and after dabbling around with others, which are as far away from stock as the LG Launcher, I sticked with it. I thought about going back to the Google Now launcher, but don't see the need for the hussle atm.

I always use the texting app that is stock on the respective device (i.e. Hangouts on Nexus 5, Messages on Nexus 6P and now the LG Textmessenger). Seeing that old school texting becomes less and less, while FB Messenger, WhatsApp and others become more and more, I don't see the benefit in changing an App that I don't open that much...
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-10-2018 06:28 AM
    I'm on the V20 (close enough, eh?), and I'm always the odd man out here. I use Handcent for texting because of all the customizing options, and Next 3D for the launcher because of the cool 3D effects (expensive though! ).
    I've heard that Handcent is good! How customizable is it?
    01-10-2018 08:14 AM
    I've heard that Handcent is good! How customizable is it?
    It's almost infinitely customizable. You said earlier that you can customize the text bubbles on Textra. On Handcent, you can remove the bubbles all together.

This is a screen shot of the settings preview where you can change it up.
    Attached Thumbnails Lg v30 Do most users change the launchers and Text Applications from the  Stock applications.-capture-_2018-01-10-09-08-53.jpg  
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-10-2018 09:14 AM
    It's almost infinitely customizable. You said earlier that you can customize the text bubbles on Textra. On Handcent, you can remove the bubbles all together.

This is a screen shot of the settings preview where you can change it up.
    Oh wow! So cool! Maybe I'll test this out too! Thank you!!
    Mooncatt likes this.
    01-10-2018 09:16 AM
    Oh wow! So cool! Maybe I'll test this out too! Thank you!!
    Any time. And fyi, yes, you can have bubbles if you really want them. I just don't care for them. Lol
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-10-2018 09:24 AM
    Any time. And fyi, yes, you can have bubbles if you really want them. I just don't care for them. Lol
    Nice! I really like changing up my experience so I'll keep this idea in mind!
    01-10-2018 09:28 AM
    I slapped on Nova Launcher after a couple of days. In fact Nova Launcher on the V30 to make it look like the Pixel 2 that I have convinced me to buy a Pixel 2XL and sell the V30.

I did use the stock texting app. For some reason whatever text message app is on the phone by default is what I use. I don't care about changing the texting app. The launcher on the other hand is a different story.
    01-10-2018 04:08 PM
    For the launcher, I stay with the LG software. It does everything thing I need. (Of course, it could be that I just don't know what I am missing.)

For the texting app, I use Textra. On my LG G4 from ATT, the stock texting app was just a sad piece of software. Moving up to the V30, I stayed with Textra even though the ATT SMS app does do wifi-MMS while Textra does not.
    Morty2264 likes this.
    01-11-2018 03:45 AM
    Textra and Nova Prime here on AT&T.
    Morty2264 and EgretOwl2 like this.
    01-11-2018 10:56 AM
    Google Messages, Nova prime (and even Google dialer). Uninstall/disable and hide in app drawer all LG and Verizon bloat. Prefer stock Android and the UI on my wife's Pixel 2 XL (plus I'm coming from Moto quasi-stock).
    01-13-2018 01:25 PM
    Yaata as it has a dark theme and nova
    01-13-2018 02:59 PM

I do love Textra and use it on every device, but I must say I miss the stock messager app from my beloved Galaxy S6 Edge. I'm using LG V30 now.

What I loved so much about the stock messenger that came with the S6 Edge was how truly minimal it was. When I received a text, it would appear as a tiny pop up, with a reply option. When you hit reply, from the pop up would drop down a tiny brown line for you to write in. If you needed more writing space the brown line would expand slightly to allow another line of text. The icon for that messenger app was just a black bar with 3 white dots on it.
    01-14-2018 09:36 PM
28 12