Problem taking picture of check for bank deposit

Funkhauser

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
This is a weird problem which I don't know if it is solvable.
Here is the story:
I want to deposit checks to my bank accounts using the V30.
The following issue happens with 2 different banks, so I know it is not a bank issue.
The normal procedure is to hold the phone centered on the front and back of the check and the phone is supposed to take the picture AUTOMATICALLY without having to press the camera button. This is how my Note 5 did it flawlessly.
In all cases with the V30 - the phone camera will not work in automatic mode on the FRONT of the check only! I have to wait until it keeps trying and then a message pops up asking if I want to change to Manual mode. When I go manual I then press and shoot and it takes the picture.
Now for the weird part:
As soon as I turn the check to the BACK (endorsement side) the phone camera takes the photo automatically within 2 seconds!!
This makes no sense to me at all.
Anyone have any experience or advice?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried with different lights? If the camera isn't seeing the text on the front correctly, the app won't recognize it as 'the full front' and take the picture automagically. Haven't tried it on the V30, but it worked OK on a V20 (Citibank app) and it's been working fine on S8 and Note 8 so far, but when I've had trouble getting it to work, I just turn on more lights and it's done.

casteld73

Oct 22, 2017
Visit site
had same issue today....was using g wide angle. use camera app. switch to standard lens. then launch mobile banking. worked for me.
..ymmv...

jameny5

Jan 23, 2018
Visit site
I remember using Indigo's Bank camera for the Western Union Prepaid card. It would not work for depositing a check. I used my camera on my Moto g then it worked. I have no idea why. The writing on the check was very light. I was surprised that either method would have taken the picture.