Is this a real threat?

Nunya Biz1

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I get a weird notice on certain sites saying that my phone is infected. The phone is then directed to the google play store. How do I determine if my phone is infected? Also looking for recommendations for a good virus checker for this lovely v30?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I get a weird notice on certain sites saying that my phone is infected. The phone is then directed to the google play store. How do I determine if my phone is infected? Also looking for recommendations for a good virus checker for this lovely v30?

It's likely bogus....are they directing you to a specific app?

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Happens with a lot of click bait links off Facebook where you have to go through 14 pages just to see what the hell they are talking about

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Never install a cache cleaner or a RAM cleaner - Android does RAM cleaning as needed, and you can clear the cache with what the phone comes with. Those apps are just a way of showing you ads (which make money for the "developers" if you click on them).

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Some websites have the clickbait popup. It's harmless. I would be careful installing 3rd party apps though.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Pop-ups like that are almost always fake - they want you to install a specific "virus cleaner" that they'll recommend to you; and then that app could actually give you a virus. Do not believe them! :)

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

It is spam / a scam.