If you miss the removable battery, the power bank is a good alternative.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging is great if you work at a desk since your phone can charge any time you're not holding it with no hassle of plugging in. Set down, charge. Not a good setup if you're on your phone more often than not, but I'm sure that's not the case for everyone.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Not as convenient.
If you move around in the office or make a call you will need to unplug the phone.
That may be, but you said it's convenient for monitoring the charge. So Mike Dee asked why, and the reason you gave can be accomplished with a plug in charger just as conveniently. And having to unplug a phone is hardly inconvenient for most.

Personal opinion is key here, of course, but you seem to present your points as if they are cut and dry.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, you look at the battery gauge in the Task bar. If it drops below 30%, you place the phone on the wireless charger. If it reaches 80% to take it off.

I have no issue with people preferring cordless charging, however I don't see how that's an improvement as related to monitoring charging.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
A power bank is not a good alternate. It's the only one. A bulky power bank is a terrible replacement for a slim battery. An hour to charge is a terrible replacement for a one minute 0-100% battery swap.

FORTUNATELY the V30 has great battery life. Not missing removable as much as I thought I would. Would have preferred they went with at least 4,000 mAh, though, and I'd love to see 5,000 mAh on a flagship in the future. If LG was serious about competing and sticking out, they'd compete with unbeatable battery life, but, just like every other OEM, they settle for "just enough". Phones with removable batteries can be water proof. My V20 with a fresh battery still has terrible battery life. In two years, though, a V20 with a fresh battery might outlast a V30 with an old one. Maybe. Maybe not. I will definitely take advantage of my extended warranty and have them swap the battery out for me. I've had great experiences with Hyperion and TrendOn batteries for the G3 and G4. In fact, those batteries have been better than my LG batteries on those devices and the OEM battery for the V20 is the worst I've ever experienced. 3 out of four of my V20 batteries die around 20%. Never had that problem before with any phone.

Fast charging power banks don't take that long.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Takes as long as a fast charging wall charger which, according to Phone Arena benchmarks, is 108 minutes for a full charge.
Except you were never supposed to charge from zero anyway when using a phone. To take care of it properly you need to be charging at 40% or above and stopping at below 90% unless circumstances make that impossible. Having a power bank means you can do that. 50 to 90% should take around an hour. Depending on what I've been doing I usually have between 40-60% come 12nn at lunch time (yeah my phone is heavily involved in my current job). I plug it in on my break. I won't be talking on the phone while eating. When I'm done it's back at 80-90%.

Also when you're out in places without a charger, chances are you're doing something else, so you have time to leave your phone alone to charge.

All arguments saying swapping batteries is better because it's faster on an emergency when you're in an emergency call and the phone dies doesn't cut it simply because it's only a better option when you're draining the battery to zero, which you shouldn't be doing in the first place. Your phone shouldn't be reaching the point where it might die in the first place. Plug it in a 50% while you're doing something else, just like when you're at home.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Except you're both entirely ignoring the point which is a removable battery is just far more convenient and versatile. Period. There is no arguing that. It's an instant recharge and it's zero bulk. That's it.

If you have to spend an entire day out sight seeing, taking pictures, using navigation, whatever, being able to swap batteries is infinitely better than lugging around a hulking power bank, USB cable, and/or wall charger.

There really is no arguing that point. An extra battery or three isn't even noticeable in a pocket whereas a power bank or wall charger along with its accompanying USB cable would be impossible to ignore and they still require you to keep your phone either tethered for an extended period of time or tethered multiple times.

Sure, if you're carrying around a purse, it's probably a moot point since you could have your phone in the bag charging while idle, but for everyone else who only has their pockets to carry things, a power bank isn't a good alternative — it's the only one.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Except you're both entirely ignoring the point which is a removable battery is just far more convenient and versatile. Period. There is no arguing that. It's an instant recharge and it's zero bulk. That's it.

If you have to spend an entire day out sight seeing, taking pictures, using navigation, whatever, being able to swap batteries is infinitely better than lugging around a hulking power bank, USB cable, and/or wall charger.

There really is no arguing that point. An extra battery or three isn't even noticeable in a pocket whereas a power bank or wall charger along with its accompanying USB cable would be impossible to ignore and they still require you to keep your phone either tethered for an extended period of time or tethered multiple times.

Sure, if you're carrying around a purse, it's probably a moot point since you could have your phone in the bag charging while idle, but for everyone else who only has their pockets to carry things, a power bank isn't a good alternative — it's the only one.
Sorry, but presenting your stance as inarguably the right stance is just just flat out incorrect.

It's not convenient to have to worry about remembering to grab extra batteries, charging the extras, and making sure you know which are charged and which aren't. Then having to carry around an extra charger when one travels? PITA if you ask me. And having to spend extra on batteries? No thanks.
And tie that all in to the complete lack of IP rating, which is important to many people, I think carrying around the added bulk of extra batteries is not convenient at all.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Sorry but to each his own.... Being out all day a power pack works better for me. I've done both even with the V20. It's kind of irrelevant since removable batteries are most likely not coming back.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site

Except a removable battery is not more convenient or versatile.

It's less convenient that when you charge them, you either have to charge them one at a time replacing the battery in the phone, or you have to bring an extra charger made specifically for the batteries you bought. For a power bank, just plug them both in at the same time. Even better if you're using a multi port charger from Anker, Aukey or Tronsmart. One charger for both.

Unless you're wearing skinny jeans, which means you probably have a purse, I can't see how a powerbank can be too much of a hassle to carry. Some powerbanks that contain enough for one charge is as big as a keychain. My mom's powerbank is enough for 3.5 charges of her phone but it's about as big as a Galaxy V phone (4 inch screen).

My 12000mah battery is about as big as a normal wallet and fits my pockets fine. Plus multiple batteries is more uncomfortable in pockets. They'll either be jumping around if the pocket is loose, or multiple edge points if pocket is tight.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

It's less convenient that when you charge them, you either have to charge them one at a time replacing the battery in the phone, or you have to bring an extra charger made specifically for the batteries you bought. For a power bank, just plug them both in at the same time. Even better if you're using a multi port charger from Anker, Aukey or Tronsmart. One charger for both.

Unless you're wearing skinny jeans, which means you probably have a purse, I can't see how a powerbank can be too much of a hassle to carry. Some powerbanks that contain enough for one charge is as big as a keychain. My mom's powerbank is enough for 3.5 charges of her phone but it's about as big as a Galaxy V phone (4 inch screen).

My 12000mah battery is about as big as a normal wallet and fits my pockets fine. Plus multiple batteries is more uncomfortable in pockets. They'll either be jumping around if the pocket is loose, or multiple edge points if pocket is tight.

You also have to protect the terminals from shorting with removable batteries when not in use

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site

It's not inconvenient to charge a spare battery overnight when you charge your phone or when you come home. Most people won't need more than one extra spare. I needed more than one, but also had multiple chargers. Not inconvenient to charge. And if you don't use them during the day, you have a fully charged battery for the next day. Not inconvenient. At all.

You don't need to carry the battery charger around, but, if you did, it's still less bulky than any power bank and it's actually pretty convenient to keep it at a desk so you can charge after swapping.

I didn't say a power bank was a hassle. I repeatedly said it's bulky. Hulking, even, compared to a spare battery or two . However, there is a hassle of having to fuss with cables. Multiple batteries still take up less space than the smallest power banks unless it's one of those that barely have enough juice to get you through an emergency (and no quick charge). Carrying one or two, which is reasonable, isn't going to cause any problems in any size pocket.

Those really small power banks aren't enough for a full charge and the 5000-6000 mAh ones are still pretty thick, surprisingly thicker than the thinnest 10000 mAh power banks. I've looked. Extensively.

Brjlk

Apr 17, 2015
Visit site
Unfortunately the V20 is the last LG flagship to carry a removable battery. The current V30 has a sealed one and there are no signs that LG will do otherwise for the V40

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Except that as I said, it's not really feasible long term because every time you open it up to change the battery the seals receive more wear and tear.
How often do you think it's being opened up? Once a year tops, but likely less than that. If the seals only wear away rather than being destroyed, this is a non-issue.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
How often do you think it's being opened up? Once a year tops, but likely less than that. If the seals only wear away rather than being destroyed, this is a non-issue.
If you open it up once a year, then you don't really need removable batteries. You are contradicting your own arguments. Now you're saying you only open your phone once a year. So why bother with removable batteries in the first place if you almost never remove the batteries anyway.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
If you open it up once a year, then you don't need removable batteries. You are contradicting your own arguments. Now you're saying you only open your phone once a year. So why bother with removable batteries in the first place if you never remove the batteries anyway.

I misread the context of your post. For some reason, I thought you were talking about removing a sealed battery. It's one in the morning and I need sleep.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800