If you miss the removable battery, the power bank is a good alternative.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
You talk as if it's not possible to change the battery on these phones. It is. Maybe not as simple or cheap, but you still can.
Here is how to do it
https://youtu.be/SjNkmiyi9Co

Of course the service centre will do it better.
That's great, if you can find an OEM battery. Aftermarket batteries are hit or miss on longevity, and re-sealing the device is another story.
What happens to the water proofing when you replace the battery on this phone?

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Funny to hear certain posters talk as if phone batteries are goners after 16 months of use. I've owned my previous two phones for, at least, 36 months, and each one still lasted a full day when I retired them. And they were retired more for the upgrades in performance from newer devices. But go ahead, keep fabricating situations that line-up with your opinion.

As for keeping the battery performing well, my one piece of advice: Don't charge it while it's powered on.

Heat is the #1 enemy of a battery, as it degrades the battery and it's ability to hold a charge. If your phone is on (or worse, being used) while charging, the heat generated will be detrimental. So, 99.5% of the time, I turn my phone off and charge it, typically overnight. Yes, that means wireless charging isn't an option, but I honestly don't care. I lived with wireless charging before it existed, so I'll be fine without it.

I don't care about charging the phone to 100%, but I make it a point to not let it regularly get below 25% before I charge it. Obviously, it happens on occasion due to extenuating circumstances. But if I can help it, I charge it before the battery gets too low.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
The big advantage of a sealed battery is the phone is waterproof. Btw my V20 was damaged by water.

I also read that to keep it in good health, a battery should not be left too depleted nor fully charged. In this case a wireless charger is a good option to monitor the amount to charge a battery.

Why is a wireless charger a good option to monitor charging?

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
... the power bank is a good alternative. You will be able to use the phone while it is being charged.
I have a 4 year old 10,000 mAh power bank and it charges my V30 from 15% to 100% in just 2 hours. Newer power banks with higher output should do better.
A power bank is not a good alternate. It's the only one. A bulky power bank is a terrible replacement for a slim battery. An hour to charge is a terrible replacement for a one minute 0-100% battery swap.

FORTUNATELY the V30 has great battery life. Not missing removable as much as I thought I would. Would have preferred they went with at least 4,000 mAh, though, and I'd love to see 5,000 mAh on a flagship in the future. If LG was serious about competing and sticking out, they'd compete with unbeatable battery life, but, just like every other OEM, they settle for "just enough".
The big advantage of a sealed battery is the phone is waterproof. Btw my V20 was damaged by water.

I also read that to keep it in good health, a battery should not be left too depleted nor fully charged. In this case a wireless charger is a good option to monitor the amount to charge a battery.
Phones with removable batteries can be water proof.
Snapdragon 835 is indeed much more power efficient. Give it 1-2 years. The V20 will outlast it with a fresh battery.
My V20 with a fresh battery still has terrible battery life. In two years, though, a V20 with a fresh battery might outlast a V30 with an old one. Maybe. Maybe not. I will definitely take advantage of my extended warranty and have them swap the battery out for me.
That's great, if you can find an OEM battery. Aftermarket batteries are hit or miss on longevity, and re-sealing the device is another story.
I've had great experiences with Hyperion and TrendOn batteries for the G3 and G4. In fact, those batteries have been better than my LG batteries on those devices and the OEM battery for the V20 is the worst I've ever experienced. 3 out of four of my V20 batteries die around 20%. Never had that problem before with any phone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
A power bank is not a good alternate. It's the only one. A bulky power bank is a terrible replacement for a slim battery. An hour to charge is a terrible replacement for a one minute 0-100% battery swap.

There's still the powerbank cases, or if you have a Motorola, a battery mod. Since you're not supposed to drain your battery to zero its not a big deal. Activate the power case at 50% and you're good.

FORTUNATELY the V30 has great battery life. Not missing removable as much as I thought I would. Would have preferred they went with at least 4,000 mAh, though, and I'd love to see 5,000 mAh on a flagship in the future. If LG was serious about competing and sticking out, they'd compete with unbeatable battery life, but, just like every other OEM, they settle for "just enough".

They settled for looks. Remember how huge the original Razr Maxx was relative to screen size? It was heavy with huge bezels and thick. It was advertised as a rugged phone so its ok. But today's flagships are focusing on premium looks. Samsung does have an alternative with the Active series with the same flagship specs with 4000mah batteries but they're not so widespread. I'd take one if they were available in my country.

Phones with removable batteries can be water proof.

Not for long. The difference is that every time you open it up and change the batteries you put wear on the seals. If your purpose of having the removable battery is swapping batteries throughout the day, the waterproofing won't last long.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
There's still the powerbank cases, or if you have a Motorola, a battery mod. Since you're not supposed to drain your battery to zero its not a big deal. Activate the power case at 50% and you're good.

This is the V30 forum, right? Moto mods are not an option here. Battery cases make the phone more unwieldy than a phone with a removable battery using am extended battery usually. I've only seen one option on Amazon for the V30 and reviews said it was slippery so that's no good.

They settled for looks. Remember how huge the original Razr Maxx was relative to screen size? It was heavy with huge bezels and thick. It was advertised as a rugged phone so its ok. But today's flagships are focusing on premium looks. Samsung does have an alternative with the Active series with the same flagship specs with 4000mah batteries but they're not so widespread. I'd take one if they were available in my country.

A bigger battery just means the phone would br a bit thicker. That wouldn't sacrifice looks, especially since nobody asked for razer thin phones while. These phones are so thin now that they could easily sell them with larger batteries without sacrificing looks or ergonomics.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
This is the V30 forum, right? Moto mods are not an option here. Battery cases make the phone more unwieldy than a phone with a removable battery using am extended battery usually. I've only seen one option on Amazon for the V30 and reviews said it was slippery so that's no good.

A bigger battery just means the phone would br a bit thicker. That wouldn't sacrifice looks, especially since nobody asked for razer thin phones while. These phones are so thin now that they could easily sell them with larger batteries without sacrificing looks or ergonomics.
Actually a thicker phone will sacrifice ergonomics, With the screen sizes we have now. A Note 5 has a bigger screen for example than a Note 2 but footprint is nearly the same. And yet the thicker Note 2 is more unweidly.

This is actually where the narrower 18:9 ratio is coming in. The footprint of the S8 IIRC is smaller than the S7 but it has a bigger battery.

So hopefully as they upp screen sizes we also see bigger batteries. Although if battery life was a major concern I'd say go for a modern mid ranger instead of a flagship

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
Actually a thicker phone will sacrifice ergonomics, With the screen sizes we have now. A Note 5 has a bigger screen for example than a Note 2 but footprint is nearly the same. And yet the thicker Note 2 is more unweidly.

Going from 3300 to 4000 or even 5000 on the V30 would not sacrifice ergonomics. This phone is extremely thin. I used a 6000 mAh extended battery on both the G3 and G4 and, in my opinion, the phones were actually easier to use because that bump filled your palm. My girlfriend disagreed, but that's a battery twice the size. Not a third bigger. A bump to 4000 would be fine with room to spare.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Going from 3300 to 4000 or even 5000 on the V30 would not sacrifice ergonomics. This phone is extremely thin. I used a 6000 mAh extended battery on both the G3 and G4 and, in my opinion, the phones were actually easier to use because that bump filled your palm. My girlfriend disagreed, but that's a battery twice the size. Not a third bigger. A bump to 4000 would be fine with room to spare.
The fact that your gf disagreed meant that it's not meant for everyone, and not everyone feels the same way as you. Considering LG is a Korean company, I'd imagine a lot of the designers are Koreans with smaller hands than most Caucasians.

But I agree the bump wouldn't be too big on a few 100mah. A prime example is the S6 to the S7. That's a 400mah bump in battery in exchange for like 1 millimeter but retained almost all of the other dimensions.

TheMarcus

Jun 5, 2011
Visit site
The fact that your gf disagreed meant that it's not meant for everyone, and not everyone feels the same way as you. Considering LG is a Korean company, I'd imagine a lot of the designers are Koreans with smaller hands than most Caucasians.

But I agree the bump wouldn't be too big on a few 100mah. A prime example is the S6 to the S7. That's a 400mah bump in battery in exchange for like 1 millimeter but retained almost all of the other dimensions.
6000 vs 3000 is a huge difference.

4000 vs 3300 is not.

And speaking of smaller hands... When the Note was first released, I only ever saw tiny Asian women using it so I don't small hands is a great argument here. Especially not when larger phones are the most popular ones for everyone using Android or iPhone.

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
So what would you do if your non-removable battery is depleted, you have no wall charger around & you really need to use your phone?
Today power banks use Quick charge 3.0, have a capacity of up to 30,000 mAh, so can charge 6 times a V20 or V30 before they need recharging.

I don't think a phone dies when the battery dies. Non-removable batteries can be safely replaced at a service center.

A good battery should last more than 2 years. My 4 year old Samsung Note 2 still works correctly with the original battery

I have a spare battery that I carry around. I actually have 4 spare batteries already charged. I only need to swap once per day anyways. The battery itself is super slim, can fit in your shirt pocket. Just takes 15 seconds and I get 100%, meanwhile you're using your phone WHILE it's charging and plugged in... some phones like LG SLOWS DOWN and throttle the speed to avoid overheating.. so you get reduced performance plus a hot battery.. hot battery equals lower battery life expectancy. And no, once you go to a service center to replace your battery (probably costs $100 the cheapest), the phone is no longer waterproof.. so it's not even worth the trouble.

Plus I have a quick charge 3.0 charger in my car.. it charges SUPER fast. If I plan to go somewhere that I know I won't have access to power, I'll bring some spare batteries with me in my pocket.

But dang, imagine if the 30,000 mAh caught fire in an accident.. you're looking at a hand grenade... Plus the metal chassis will scratch and damage your phone if you have it together.

I still love LG and respect their decision to have sealed batteries.. but I'm still benefiting from removable batteries and enjoying the extra freedom.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a spare battery that I carry around. I actually have 4 spare batteries already charged. I only need to swap once per day anyways. The battery itself is super slim, can fit in your shirt pocket. Just takes 15 seconds and I get 100%, meanwhile you're using your phone WHILE it's charging and plugged in... some phones like LG SLOWS DOWN and throttle the speed to avoid overheating.. so you get reduced performance plus a hot battery.. hot battery equals lower battery life expectancy. And no, once you go to a service center to replace your battery (probably costs $100 the cheapest), the phone is no longer waterproof.. so it's not even worth the trouble.

Plus I have a quick charge 3.0 charger in my car.. it charges SUPER fast. If I plan to go somewhere that I know I won't have access to power, I'll bring some spare batteries with me in my pocket.

But dang, imagine if the 30,000 mAh caught fire in an accident.. you're looking at a hand grenade... Plus the metal chassis will scratch and damage your phone if you have it together.

I still love LG and respect their decision to have sealed batteries.. but I'm still benefiting from removable batteries and enjoying the extra freedom.
Do you worry about your spare batteries catching fire in an accident, or spontaneously combusting in your pocket?

Also, you said you have 4 spare batteries. Probably cost you, at least, $60 or more for all of them. All so you can put them in your phone that has absolutely no water resistance. Yet someone spending about $100 to have a battery replaced in their phone is not worth it BECAUSE it would lose the IP rating?

You are just cherry picking arguments to support your view at this point, creating "problems" with the counter argument that aren't a real concern.

The fact is, you're coming into a forum of a phone that you don't even own to start controversial thread topics.

MA2GA28

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Well, you look at the battery gauge in the Task bar. If it drops below 30%, you place the phone on the wireless charger. If it reaches 80% to take it off.
I think his point was that you can do the same with a plug charger. Just buy a $5 phone stand.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie